Openrocket Questions, Rail?, Kevlar?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
In Openrocket, how do you switch from a Rod to a Rail? It lets me select ACME Rail Guides to add to the Rocket, but then assumes I'm launching from a Rod? It also requires me to change the Material of the Guides to Aluminum, as even after you select them to add, it thinks they are made of Cardboard.:(
Also, for Shock Cords, why is Kevlar not listed??? I typically have to select some sort of Thread, then override the mass to match the measured weight of my Kevlar.:confused:

Welcome to the joys of using FREE rocket simulation. You can always save any materials you create so you don't have to recreate the wheel every rocket. I just use lugs and rearrange them to the size of buttons and override weight.
If you want plug and chug, cough up the money for RockSim. Small problems compared to not having any Sim or paying the price for RockSim

Rod versus rail: the program does not simulate rod whip, so the difference is nil.

If the material is wrong, you can file a bug report so we can update the database.

Material is not a very useful parameter for shock cords because density depends on thickness and weave style, unlike a solid composite or wood part.

Welcome to the joys of using FREE rocket simulation. You can always save any materials you create so you don't have to recreate the wheel every rocket. I just use lugs and rearrange them to the size of buttons and override weight.
If you want plug and chug, cough up the money for RockSim. Small problems compared to not having any Sim or paying the price for RockSim

I'm quite content with Mindsim, it is free too, and has served me well over the Years.
If I'm using an actual Computer Sim, I just thought it would be cool if it had the option to change these parameters to match the actual Rocket.
I've used the 30 day Free RockSim, and liked it. I will probably buy RockSim someday.

Rod versus rail: the program does not simulate rod whip, so the difference is nil.

If the material is wrong, you can file a bug report so we can update the database.

Material is not a very useful parameter for shock cords because density depends on thickness and weave style, unlike a solid composite or wood part.

Good enough. I figured about as much, but did wonder about Rod Whip.
I match the mass of "Heavy Thread" or whatever I use for Shock Cord to my actual measured weight.

To "fake" the rail buttons, I've taken to making launch lugs with a 0.000 inner diameter, the OD and length are the same as the button. It's not perfect, but it is a workaround.

You can add new materials OpenRocket already. They can then be used whenever you use it. If I recall correctly, it's in the "options" dialog window.

Kevin

This Thread has run its course.
I was just wondering if there was something I was missing, but there is'nt, it just is what it is.
Thanks for the Responses.:)

You can add a material from whatever material selection dropdown by selecting the last option "Custom". Select 'Add material to database' to store it for future use from the dropdown.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

Materials do not matter in the sim. As long as the shape, dimensions and mass are correct you are good to go.

Back