Stupid OpenRocket tricks: beveled tubes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
1682625034577.png

Background
I discovered recently, to my considerable surprise, that even when an OR component is specified as transparent, the *decal* (or texture) is rendered opaque. This opens the door to beveled tubes, scalloped tubes, and other tomfoolery, acknowledging as always that it is *purely* for visual entertainment, and it has no effect on the sim.

The above image (ORK attached) was created as follows:
  1. Create body tube, set to 100% transparent.
  2. Add black bevel texture file.
  3. Set component to use separate appearance for inside and outside
  4. Set inside of tube to 100% transparent.
  5. Add matching yellow bevel texture file to inside. In my case it was the same image, just with different color. The interior orientation is different from the outer, so you must also set the "Rotation" of the texture to 180 degrees.
That's about it. There's a faint ring around the front of the tube, which is annoying but I can't get rid of it, and the edges of the tube are problematic in general. Works best with zero wall thickness, so you'll need to override mass and accept that drag estimates will be off (but you can measure first and then override).

Now, someone go get me a good Kraken sim.

Attachments

• kraken_tube.ork
    18.7 KB · Views: 2
I've done a 4" King Kraken in the past (looking to make a new one soon) and I've always wondered if the cut tubes have any effect on altitude compared with normal tube fins because simming a Kraken is not easy for whatever reason. Last time I simmed my 4" one, it went MUCH higher than the sim said it would.

I've done a 4" King Kraken in the past (looking to make a new one soon) and I've always wondered if the cut tubes have any effect on altitude compared with normal tube fins because simming a Kraken is not easy for whatever reason. Last time I simmed my 4" one, it went MUCH higher than the sim said it would.
No doubt the carved tube fins are less draggy than if they were full tubes all the way front to back. They need to be modeled (for flight sim) with shorter tubes... but exactly how long is anyone's guess. I would probably use halfway up the cut as my starting point, and then adjust based on measured flights.

I'd be curious to know how if it does better with the current beta.

Back