OpenRocket feature request

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
while the standard views(side & back) work for most rockets...there are some where a top view would come in handy. any chance of getting a top view added? thanks.
rex

Hi,

What do you mean by top view? The current back view draws all of the components, whether they would be obscured by other components or not. I don't see what the difference between back and top view would be.

Regards,
Sampo N.

trying to position 'wings' with regard to motor mount/centering rings is a tad difficult for me using either standard view...example attached
edit
since I see the wigs edge-on, the tabs are obscurred by the wings themselves. I suppose that for alignment purposes I could rotate the mounting position by 90 degrees...but that seems so in-elegant
ignore the fins on the tube fin they are only there for flight sims.
rex

View attachment rceptor3.ork

Last edited:
You can rotate the rocket view... not just the fins, using the "rotate" knob on the left. Does this help?

rotate.jpg

Hey I'm new here so sorry if I hijack the thread with a different request... But has anyone looked into adding flight characteristics for nose cones? I notice rockets have the same appogee with or without a nose cone so it must be based on body diameter only?

Hi,

trying to position 'wings' with regard to motor mount/centering rings is a tad difficult for me using either standard view...example attached
rex

I see that with complex designs components may clutter up the view. However, I'm still having trouble understanding what would be different in a top view. Would some of the components be not drawn, and based on what?

Hey I'm new here so sorry if I hijack the thread with a different request... But has anyone looked into adding flight characteristics for nose cones? I notice rockets have the same appogee with or without a nose cone so it must be based on body diameter only?

Nose cone characteristics are taken into account. There's just a lot of things that affect apogee height a lot more. Removing a nose cone makes the rocket less aerodynamic, but also makes it shorter and lighter. At low subsonic speeds the aerodynamics have a significantly smaller effect on the apogee altitude than at high speeds.

Also, the methods are designed for "normal" rockets. You should get a warning (in the lower-right corner of the design window) for a rocket without a nose cone that the results may not be completely accurate.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

@Scott:
why yes that does help, thanks for pointing that feature out. I guess that just goes to show why we need a picture with circles & arrows to point out the various bits of the interface(I see that my forward centering ring needs to move aft a bit :)).

Latest posts

Back