OpenRocket blender exporter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infame

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is david rodriguez, I'm very noob about rocket theme...

I'm a 3D artists, some days ago I find OpenRocket software, I was impressed to see this software, believe me I don't know nothing about rockets, but In five minutes I was having fun launching rockets, I don't know if this software is a good or bad software technically, I only know is really fun...

well, I'm wondering. there any exporter that allow insert the rocket data (the mesh object and simulation) to blender or another 3d software? or how I could export the mesh of the rocket what OpenRocket show me in .obj format and simulation data in a simple .cvs format to make a script to run the simulation into 3d software?

I think that could be a interesting application to make animations and presentations...

I don't know if this is the correct site to post this thread , if not , I hope I apologies

thanks guys and sorry for my bad English.

Infame, welcome to the forum! You've definitely come to the right place for all things rockets. I know the devs of OpenRocket frequent the forums here so I'm sure someone will chime in. I think the 3D mesh export idea is fantastic! Hopefully the devs see this and are willing to integrate such a feature, especially if it were to support one of the more universal 3d file formats so it could be used with a number of different programs.

While you're here, stay a while and poke around, there's tons of great info and even better people here willing to help you learn anything/everything you need to know. Who knows, you may even get inspired to build one of your own!

Interesting question. I'm not sure if ANY dedicated rocketry design software does that. Would be interesting to know though if it is possible without too much additional coding. Heck, I was impressed just finding out that OR exports cluster centering rings properly...bonus!

FC

thanks guys!

well, I was looking more about OpenRocket, yes, open rocket have .cvs exporter for the simulation... I don't understand all parameters (I only know about velocity, time, how hi fly, location and rotation, etc)

I think is really simply to do a script with that data to build a animation in blender... I m working in that

only needs a exporter for the mesh of the rocket

Rocksim has options to export the model in several 3D formats including Wavefront. It was some time ago, but I had some success importing a design into Blender.

-- Roger

Hi,

Currently there's no mesh export support, but as work is ongoing in the 3D support (thanks to Bill Kuker) it might be possible. I'm also planning on making it easier to create plugins to OpenRocket, so these kinds of extensions could be integrated within the system, instead of being separate external scripts.

I suggest joining the dev mailing list and asking there.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

Back