SOLVED: Issues with OpenRocket simulations after upgrade

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No..... If you are using that section for your paint....... doing that makes your entire rocket weigh what your paint weighs.... 2 oz.
You need to change the value to your final weight AND tick apply to sub components.
What I meant was to put the entire weight in that override. Once you weigh the finished rocket, the actual weight of the paint is irrelevant.

I usually try to carefully weigh each component before assembly, then add the 2oz (give or take, 1-3oz depending on rocket size) for paint and glue. Usually comes out close. But occasionally, I get lazy and just enter the finished weight and call it good.

Hans,

Thanks for clarifying, that was my understanding but it's good to have confirmation. So I'm thoroughly confused by post#26.
There are 2 boxes in STAGE for mass.
mass override. which if ticked and a mass is entered, will add an additional mass for say paint. Im not sure how that mass is distributed as adding it DOES change the Cg point. So lets assume the additional mass is being applied at a point at the middle of the rocket.
So mass override is NOT acting as a mass override, but is an additional mass. This is why the altitude of the OP rocket was so low. Mass override was not functuoning as an override. It was functioning and stull is functioning as an addituonal weight.
If the apply to all sub components is ticked, the mass override now functions as that. Hiwever, IF you have used its functionality as a place to specify your anticipated paint mass your wgole rocket now weighs the 2 oz for the mass used for your paint estimate. So you then have to make sure the weight is changed to the actual finished weight of the rocket.
So in short. The section that says mass override serves as both a place for additional mass and a place to actually override the calculated mass from rhe component parts depending on if the apply to all subcomponents is ticked.
Norm

Back