OpenRocket and 3D design contest.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am contemplating running a monthly Open Rocket Design and 3d Design contest. It may be just for bragging rights or an annual prize. Is there any interest?
Sincere question: has there ever been a monthly contest that has made it past a month or two before lack of interest kills it?

Contests can be fun, I just think trying to do it monthly is inherently futile.

I think the idea is interesting, but understand Neil W's perspective. I'm very surprised that the secret Santa stuff has worked as well as it has, compared to outcomes on other forums. Also the Tour de Deuce and Wanderer rocket projects have lasted longer than I would have guessed, so there is a precedent for something to work.

Maybe if the framework was more clearly understood, it would become more clear, i.e.:

1: Would there be a monthly theme (minimum diameter lowest altitude on a D; cool spaceship; use this common component somewhere in the design etc.) or would it just be freeform?
2: If the 3D modelling of certain components is key to the contest, some Openrocket experts might nail that part, but not be interested in creating 3D models of complex components.
3: Would a goal be for people to more easily realize a design for a limited run or would the contest end still in computer simulation?

Interested in the concept and might be more of a consumer of other people's designs vs. creating my own. Having said that, if I have materials on hand that could be contributed as part of 'winning' I'd be glad to help there.

My suggestion is just do one, see how it goes, and then adjust as needed.
Thanks. I will do one without a prize and see what happens. I may have a vendor sponsor if we do it longer.

I'm in.

Chuck, if you recall, we did try to do this a few years back. there was some interest, but was mainly from a select few. (and even that slowly dwindled..)

I'm in.

Chuck, if you recall, we did try to do this a few years back. there was some interest, but was mainly from a select few. (and even that slowly dwindled..)
You are correct. I liked watching the threads.

Chuck, One thing that I feel limited some participants, was the fact the design had to be tangible; either something that was printed & shown in use, or that the rocket had flown.

For parts / tools / nosecones, etc.. : it's easy [relatively speaking!] to design something cool. But the time, need, filament, etc.. to produce it might be prohibitive for whatever reason..

A drawing, or an STL file might be suffice to judge said object..

For rockets: the need to design, source parts, then build said design can be time sensitive, let alone the need to fly it within a specified time frame..
the OR file should be enough to judge the entry. But also, maybe, take a page from the Launch Canada / Spaceport competition, where the rocket design needs to go thru an evaluation process. This gives some deadlines to meet prior to launching, and so a launch is possible over a longer time frame..

Just thinking out loud..

For rockets: the need to design, source parts, then build said design can be time sensitive,

I think I have around 15 folders on my computer with mostly finished designs, I have 1 that is ready to fly right now that I have been working on since December 2022. 🦥

I'll just have to get someone else to build them. ;)

Well, that depends on a lot of factors. I do not have much experience with most of the other options because my work bought me a Cadillac to drive. :)

Any of the popular ones will do for rockets, since they are not that complicated. I would recommend getting a parametric type program. That is one where you make a sketch with dimensions and then through various commands turn it into a 3D shape. The underlying dimensioned sketch remains and you can change the dimensions and thus edit the shape. This is very powerful.

art.jpg

All (most?) CAD packages work the same. So, it's important to develop the mindset of how to design in CAD..

it's both an additive & subtractive process to create parts. And there are usually a few way to make a part. one method may be prefered, but the end results are usually the same.

you are either adding to a base geometry (adding fins to a tube) or a removing something (like extruding a circle inside a cylinder to create a tube)..

and, as with most things in life. trial & error and lots of practice!!

Back