Offtopic Purgatory

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fact you use "journalistic integrity" about anyone on any network is very telling. We'll see if he's right or not, but it will likely be a case of being "mostly right" and that's not good enough for many who can't tell where information stops and opinion starts...
Serious question: how can one be "mostly right" about whether or not a flying object is a NWS weather balloon? Either it is or it's not, and all indications are that it is absolutely not. Maybe he's mostly right about the metric system being an evil conspiracy? Or that it's OK for Putin to invade Ukraine because Russians never called him names?

I don't think that exist on any network. Fox, CNN, and MSNBC all have huge gapping holes in their integrity.
As crazy as this sounds sometimes to get a more balanced outcome I switch channels back and forth between Fox and CNN. Sometimes this pays just to see what is making headlines on the other channel. Definitely, some subjects are carried more on one channel than the other, and vice versa.

That tepanol is giving Machu Picchu a run for its money....

That stuff likely has near zero effectivity any longer. Its just goo at this point.

As crazy as this sounds sometimes to get a more balanced outcome I switch channels back and forth between Fox and CNN. Sometimes this pays just to see what is making headlines on the other channel. Definitely, some subjects are carried more on one channel than the other, and vice versa.
The big issue I have with the news is someone telling me how to interpret the story and vilifying the other side. If I disagree with you, that does not make me evil, a racist, a sexist, or anti-science. I like to watch the news, but I do not need comentary we get today.

I don't think that exist on any network. Fox, CNN, and MSNBC all have huge gapping holes in their integrity.
MSNBC has no journalism its all opinion and it generally sucks and not entertaining. Fail 2x.
CNN has is mostly journalism and is getting better.
FOX has some journalism and their opinion shows are world class entertaining as evidenced by ratings.
NewsNation has promise. I enjoy Chris Cuomo's show.

As a point of reference, we have to receive a complaint on your posts to end up here, so consider yourself nominated.

With CNN, it depends on what side of the spectrum your beliefs are. I do not see it as very balanced.
Balance on one venue doesn't seem to be business viable at the moment. Which is why you need to achieve balance by sampling diverse media. I sample Fox, CNN, NewsNation, TicToc and Babylon Bee.

As a point of reference, we have to receive a complaint on your posts to end up here, so consider yourself nominated.
You made by day, getting a complaint from a TRF Karen fills me with joy.

Can you start a special thread where you need 10 complaints to get in?

Can we set up a complaint system that moves a post incrementally one at a time through the Seven Rings of Hell?

Serious question: how can one be "mostly right" about whether or not a flying object is a NWS weather balloon? Either it is or it's not, and all indications are that it is absolutely not. Maybe he's mostly right about the metric system being an evil conspiracy? Or that it's OK for Putin to invade Ukraine because Russians never called him names?
It may not be a NWS balloon, it might be some concoction cooked up by a university or high school science lab. It might be a NWS balloon but they failed to alert anyone to the flight (it happens). Like I said in the first post. People will get too locked in on one thing, "NWS" They'll point their finger shakely and say; "See...see...see...it wasn't a NWS balloon! It was a NOAA balloon...Tucker was wrong! OMG! All balloons matter! "

MSNBC has no journalism its all opinion and it generally sucks and not entertaining. Fail 2x.
CNN has is mostly journalism and is getting better.
FOX has some journalism and their opinion shows are world class entertaining as evidenced by ratings.
NewsNation has promise. I enjoy Chris Cuomo's show.
Cool. See, this is where opinion comes in to the conversations.

Cuomo's show is much better now than it ever was on CNN. IMO(NSH) he was too beholden to his controllers and now he is a little more balanced. I don't watch every day but I do watch him when the topic is interesting.

As far as the news/media goes, I'd say things are way out of balance right now on both sides - everything is polarized and that isn't overly helpful to a person who wants to know what's going on and form their own opinion.

I am curious if there is a person on the forum with a good history background. I did a bit of study on the history of Rome, but I'm thinking of more modern American history. With no factual basis in study, I believe that there have been times in the last 100-200 years when everybody was drunk/high and having sex and times where everyone was against drink/drugs and sex. Prohibition is obvious, but I'm thinking of earlier times in the 1800's as well.

Anyway, my random 'point' would be that I hope we are at an extreme time of division and the younger generation will be tired of all the junk going on and will turn away from the headline news and agenda based media and turn closer to fact based information. Not sure that it will happen, but at some point, if everybody is drunk and having sex, prudence will become the norm. Hopefully the crazy news cycle will cause people to want to think for themselves. Or, social media was the death of proper society, maybe.

Hey you darn kids! Get off my lawn!!! (I was a kid once, but I am now the cranky old man. . . ).

Sandy.

Hey you darn kids! Get off my lawn!!! (I was a kid once, but I am now the cranky old man. . . ).

Sandy.
We’re living in a great time to be a cranky old man. Instead of simply screaming at the clouds now you can scream at all the balloons floating overhead. ;-)

As far as the news/media goes, I'd say things are way out of balance right now on both sides - everything is polarized and that isn't overly helpful to a person who wants to know what's going on and form their own opinion.

I am curious if there is a person on the forum with a good history background. I did a bit of study on the history of Rome, but I'm thinking of more modern American history. With no factual basis in study, I believe that there have been times in the last 100-200 years when everybody was drunk/high and having sex and times where everyone was against drink/drugs and sex. Prohibition is obvious, but I'm thinking of earlier times in the 1800's as well.

Anyway, my random 'point' would be that I hope we are at an extreme time of division and the younger generation will be tired of all the junk going on and will turn away from the headline news and agenda based media and turn closer to fact based information. Not sure that it will happen, but at some point, if everybody is drunk and having sex, prudence will become the norm. Hopefully the crazy news cycle will cause people to want to think for themselves. Or, social media was the death of proper society, maybe.

Sandy.
Also where I am, our MSM mastheads used to be newspapers. About 10-15 years ago, they started down that death spiral of reduced revenue (from rivers of gold advertising lost to online platforms) that forced continual cost cutting (journalists, editors, sub-editors, assistants etc). Now we're left with these digital platforms that are basically glorified soap boxes for opinion pieces that are normally ideologically aligned the given platform and their audience. We might get an investigative piece once every 6 months and what little news there is, is just sourced from an external supplier [sigh].

TP

Interesting thought @Sandy H. I was thinking along the lines of when the country was divided or addicted to some form of mediocrity, outsiders would see it as an opportunity to try and take advantage of America. As a country, we would pull together and defeat the aggressor (what ever that form took). My fear is with each passing year, there will be less and less motivation to "come together" and defeat the problem until all is lost. Nikita Khrushchev once said America will be defeated without firing a shot. but from within. Someone else said, “The toughest battle you’ll ever fight in your life is the battle within yourself" and they weren't kidding. That always seems to be the case, I just thought it might take a little bit longer or not at all.

Back