Obama and TARC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billspad

Reaction score
While reading an article about Obama being on Mythbusters in December I saw this:

Obama will play host to the winners of a range of science and math competitions, from the Intel Science and Engineering Fair to the Team America Rocketry Challenge.

The article was from the Christian Science Monitor which was the first hit when I Googled Obama and Mythbusters and that seems to be the only place it is on the web.

By the way, I took two days off work last week to volunteer in the Boeing booth at a local STEM conference for students and teachers.

I handed out at least 400 copies of TARC flyers and packets for students and teachers to build their own inclinometers and the worksheets for calculating the altitude of a rocket or the height of a building. I included a couple of the nice shets Quest has on their website as well as my own and a nice list of websites including our local NAR section, the NAR, Estes, Quest, Apogee, TARC, NASA Adventures in Rocketry Science Guide, NDEP website (Pentagon website for encouraging STEM careers with the first video on TARC - one of the best I've seen in all the years of TARC).

Everyone should volunteer for events like this (and hand out Model Rocketry science/NAR/TARC information).

st Rocketry Students in US and Abroad. Jordan Franssen and Nathan Bernhardt hail from Lancaster, Pennsylvania and represent Penn Manor High School’s rocketry team. They won both the Team America Rocketry Challenge and the Transatlantic Rocketry Challenge, giving them the title of best rocketry students in the world. The Team America Rocketry Challenge intends to spark students’ interest in aerospace careers and in science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

Cool -I am a Penn Manor mentor, this is the first we have heard of this! Just wish all 4 on that team could go

Last edited:
Your copy & paste looks like it was done from an IE6 browser viewed website (like our standard Boeing work browser). I opened it in Firefox and it is better to view, read and copy & paste.

Best Rocketry Students in US and Abroad. Jordan Franssen and Nathan Bernhardt hail from Lancaster, Pennsylvania and represent Penn Manor High School’s rocketry team. They won both the Team America Rocketry Challenge and the Transatlantic Rocketry Challenge, giving them the title of best rocketry students in the world. The Team America Rocketry Challenge intends to spark students’ interest in aerospace careers and in science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

You should propbalby edit out your political opinion before this thread gets locked. (Hey, it was edited out while I was replying. Good for you)

st Rocketry Students in US and Abroad. Jordan Franssen and Nathan Bernhardt hail from Lancaster, Pennsylvania and represent Penn Manor High School’s rocketry team. They won both the Team America Rocketry Challenge and the Transatlantic Rocketry Challenge, giving them the title of best rocketry students in the world. The Team America Rocketry Challenge intends to spark students’ interest in aerospace careers and in science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

Cool -I am a Penn Manor mentor, this is the first we have heard of this! Just wish all 4 on that team could go

Your copy & paste looks like it was done from an IE6 browser viewed website (like our standard Boeing work browser). I opened it in Firefox and it is better to view, read and copy & paste.
I am viewing through Firefox, the left side of this page was cut off on my screen and I am too computer illiterate to fix it:confused::mad::confused2:

Here is a clip from the local newspaper:
Jordan Franssen and Nate Bernhardt told Obama how the team won the Transatlantic Rocketry Challenge in London over the summer, besting other teams from Europe.

The students had to design, build and successfully launch a model rocket carrying a raw egg to a height of 850 feet for 40 to 45 seconds without damaging its payload.

The win was the first ever for an American team and earned the teens — three of whom are now college freshmen — the title of the best student rocketeers in the world.

"(Obama) shook our hands multiple times, and he seemed to be genuinely interested in what everyone was telling him," Franssen said. "It was cool."

"We didn't really feel like we were talking to the president," Bernhardt said. "He really had kind of a calming effect."

The brief presidential encounter had the opposite effect on rocketry team coach Brian Osmolinski, a Penn Manor physics teacher.

"I'm not sure which was more nerve-wracking — meeting the president or firing the rocket in London," Osmolinski said. "I was shaking for both of them."

According to the coach, Obama told Franssen and Bernhardt, "'Well, you guys are like the top dogs.' He was very impressed."

The full article may be found at this link (though it may not stay up long)

https://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/302407

Christian Science is not Christian nor is it Science.

I knew I was going to get in trouble quoting from the Christian Science Monitor but I evidently don't have the Googling skills that Fred has because I couldn't find another reference when I tried. Setting up a thread for a political or religious hijack was not my intention.

Back