NTP2’s Junior L1 thread.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The MM is in, I had to push it in from the forward end because of all the epoxy at the bottom. Next is sanding so much sanding, this thing is as rough as a teen with acne! But at least the filleting is done!

(When I get home I’ll put a pic here)

The MM is in, I had to push it in from the forward end because of all the epoxy at the bottom. Next is sanding so much sanding, this thing is as rough as a teen with acne! But at least the filleting is done!

(When I get home I’ll put a pic here)
IMG_4173.jpeg

I like that, I wonder how I’d look with the colors switched, so it doesn’t camouflage itself against the sky?
In my experience, even light-painted rockets show up against the sky in flight because they're backlit. If you have a choice, a mix of light and dark colors in your parachute tend to show up better against the sky in all conditions. Colors not found in nature help once it's on the ground, too.

Back in the day when we launched in a sagebrush desert, I found an unpainted blue tube/fiberglass rocket that had a pale olive chute out in the recovery field. I nearly tripped over it before I saw it.

Back in the day when we launched in a sagebrush desert, I found an unpainted blue tube/fiberglass rocket that had a pale olive chute out in the recovery field. I nearly tripped over it before I saw it.
That’s why I like orange as the main color with blue accents so I can see it (this a rocket I really don’t want to lose after all)

I got the first stripe on it needs a second coat though. I have school off on Wednesday so maybe I’ll get the second one on then.

Ps I also purchased a can of blue paint.

Everyone has done a paint job that they wish they had done better. The rockets fly fine just the same. If you can't see the paint issues when it's 50 feet away on the pad, no worries.

Not to say that it's a bad idea to spend a lot of time on paint. Just that you shouldn't stress over it if it isn't as good as you wanted.

I didn't finish painting either of my L1 or L2 rockets and I don't feel bad when they get dragged down the gravel road by the parachute, land in the mud, get gouged by a giant thorny bush, or used as a wind chime after it landed on top of the launch tower. If it is fun to fly then keep flying it. Decorative/scale models are not for everyone.

Everyone has done a paint job that they wish they had done better. The rockets fly fine just the same. If you can't see the paint issues when it's 50 feet away on the pad, no worries.

Not to say that it's a bad idea to spend a lot of time on paint. Just that you shouldn't stress over it if it isn't as good as you wanted.
It’s fine, I’ll go over it with a brush and no one will ever know. (He said on the internet).

Thank you.

Dad worked for almost 30 years for Gulf Oil, until Standard Oil of California (SOCAL, aka Chevron) bought them out in the late 80s in order to raid the pension fund. The courts ruled the pension fund was NOT a corporate asset, but an asset of the employees.

We're just now starting to see Gulf gas stations in the Atlanta area pop back up in the last four or so years.

Back