NTP2’s Junior L1 thread.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok let’s get started I set out all the bits and organized them (don’t worry it won’t stay that way)IMG_1272.jpeg
Next I hardened the edges with super glue.IMG_1278.jpeg
Then sanded a spot on all of them and drew a line on the sanded side then glued 2 together to make 3 sets of 2.
IMG_1279.jpeg
Next up the MM.

You say you don’t wish to drain your wallet, but just know that you will! It’s how it always goes no matter what hobby I get into
Yes but I still need (apparently) to spend some money elsewhere…
What kit are you using? I can’t quite tell.
ohh come on you can probably make a good guess! I’ll give you a hint it starts with a C…

Deer Popcorn GIF

3 more filets,IMG_1287.jpeg

IMG_1286.jpeg
And 2 more to go…

Ps does anyone have a idea about how to do the rail buttons with the tube fins?

You can run the rail through one of the tubes and mount the buttons to the body as normal. Center them up over one tube fin.

With one extra washer to make sure they clear the ID of the tube fins; no need to put them in the CRs for an L1 rocket. Tap the hole and CA the hole threads. Put Epoxy in one of the holes , Screw the button in NOW , and then flip upside down so the Epoxy forms an inside rivet around the screw.

Last edited:
With one extra washer to make sure they clear the ID of the tube fins; no need to put them in the CRs for an L1 rocket. Tap the hole and CA the hole threads. Put Epoxy in one of the holes , Screw the button in NOW , and then flip upside down so the Epoxy forms an inside rivet around the screw.
A washer is flat and a tub is round! But very good point I’ll see what I can do.

A washer is flat and a tub is round! But very good point I’ll see what I can do.

Some rail buttons are sold as Delrin washers and round tube for the screw. I try to keep around both complete and 3 piece buttons so I was able to change height by adding a washer or two.

On my Nike Smoke 5.5" fiberglass rocket I had to stack 2 1500 buttons to clear the nose.

Because it seems like the rail has to pass through a tube fin, and the tube fin has a certain thickness, plus it curves toward the rail, I wonder if you will need a little standoff distance for the rail buttons. Would the rail scrape against the inside of the tube fin if the button didn’t have a standoff? I’ve never built a tube fin rocket, so I don’t know, but it seems like a potential issue. You might want to ask around on that. A standoff could be a stacked washer or two, like @Art Upton described above.

Ok let’s get started I set out all the bits and organized them (don’t worry it won’t stay that way)View attachment 623268
Next I hardened the edges with super glue.View attachment 623269
Then sanded a spot on all of them and drew a line on the sanded side then glued 2 together to make 3 sets of 2.
View attachment 623270
Next up the MM.
Interesting! May I know the specs of the rocke? I would also love to see the openrocket design. I'm also planning to scratch build my junior L1 this year (a 4'' diameter, 5'9 beast). Good luck on your cert!

Interesting! May I know the specs of the rocke? I would also love to see the openrocket design. I'm also planning to scratch build my junior L1 this year (a 4'' diameter, 5'9 beast). Good luck on your cert!
I will see if I can find a file as this is a kit (a 3 inch cyclotron) not a scratch build.

Back