Nike Smoke

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, there just are not any options right now for a Nike Smoke kit in the 3"- 4" range. Madcow had both 2.6" and 4" fiberglass versions, but it appears they have dropped the Nike Smoke entirely (as well as the Black Brant II). I think the OP managed to get the Estes PSII version.

Unfortunately, there just are not any options right now for a Nike Smoke kit in the 3"- 4" range. Madcow had both 2.6" and 4" fiberglass versions, but it appears they have dropped the Nike Smoke entirely (as well as the Black Brant II). I think the OP managed to get the Estes PSII version.

Yep. And I got the last 3" one that SBR had in stock. I think they restock them periodically, though.

I did see that, but we're into August now and Cosmo's kits still seem to be unavailable, at least there's no way to order from the web site. I completely understand the reason for this, but unavailable is still unavailable.

Also Cosmo's Smoke is only a 2.6. $75 or more is a bit steep.
Nike Smoke will be available again by this weekend.

Just emailed mad cow and they said they'd have the 2.6" version available late Oct or November..

Tim said Apogee only had a few Cosmodrome kits and would probably not likely be able to get more. He was going remove the page when they sold out so people wouldnt find the item and deluge Apogee with questions about stock. He also had a few Cosmodrome Aerobee-Hi kits. I ordered both and the order went through ok, but i got an email the next day that someone else had beat me to their last Aerobee-Hi. I think I got their last Nike Smoke.

The Cosmodrome Nike Smoke has a turned balsa nosecone and I think the owner turns them himself. That’s a huge piece of balsa and turning it must be a daunting task.

Tim said Apogee only had a few Cosmodrome kits and would probably not likely be able to get more. He was going remove the page when they sold out so people wouldnt find the item and deluge Apogee with questions about stock. He also had a few Cosmodrome Aerobee-Hi kits. I ordered both and the order went through ok, but i got an email the next day that someone else had beat me to their last Aerobee-Hi. I think I got their last Nike Smoke.

The Cosmodrome Nike Smoke has a turned balsa nosecone and I think the owner turns them himself. That’s a huge piece of balsa and turning it must be a daunting task.
Looks like they sold out again.

I also have the 4" Nike Smoke kit from Scott and Dragon Rocketry. I have been incredibly impressed with the quality of material, work, packaging, and design.
He did recommend adjustable density foam for the nose cone.

I would think turning balsa would be a tough material to work with.. unless you use a 4th axis and a cnc machine to mill it instead of turning it..

I would think turning balsa would be a tough material to work with.. unless you use a 4th axis and a cnc machine to mill it instead of turning it..
Yes I do. It was a lot of work until I turned my lathe into a CNC lathe.

Back