New Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kb9mtd

Reaction score
It's been a while since we've built anything and now working on a couple at a time. I was looking for some suggestions on this baby. It's my first "large" build not intended for anything high power I just want to be able to launch to at least 1k with live video. I already have a wireless video camera and all of that but if someone has any ideas on construction I would greatly appreciate it. I am looking to fly it on a G but my main goal is to get the live feed I have other airframes if this one happens to cato. I've been researching on motormount design and on how to mount the camera but nothing is set in stone at the moment. Any suggestions on this?

And yes this is a shipping tube. I just wanted to see if I could get it to fly. It's heavy but I think it will go!

View attachment DSCF1436.JPG

View attachment DSCF1437.JPG

I made my Mosquito 6x upscale out of the core tube of a 400-pound paper roll. It looks to be the same thickness as your airframe. You should do VERY well on a 29mm G (like those for the 29/40-120 Hobby Line case, or the bigger ones for the regular 29mm RMS). Plus, since it's below an H, you don't have to be an L1 to use it.

And I can guarantee you'll NEVER zipper that thing!

Good I thought that it might do something. I put it on RockSim "temp" version and it said with a G it should go 1,300+. Once I get it finished then I'll have to find a place to launch since I don't have a club any closer than 45 min away. I think I might just go to some farmers field and let er rip.

Next is to get motor and nosecone. I plan on making my own parachute on the sewing machine.

Just remember you're still required to notify the FAA before you let er rip.

Next is to get motor and nosecone.
You'll also need a motor tube in a standard size and centering rings. The MMT you can get just about anywhere, for for the CRs and the nosecone, hit up Sandman. Accept no substitutes!

Since there is still just primer on the ouside and fins I think I may change some things on this puppy. I may have the chute in the bottom portion of the rocket just for ease so I can use the upper portion for payload.

Still throwing it around nothing is set in stone.

Thanks for the advise. And yes I'll notify when the time comes. I don't think that I'll last through winter though. I think this will be flying this winter!

You'll also need a motor tube in a standard size and centering rings. The MMT you can get just about anywhere, for for the CRs and the nosecone, hit up Sandman. Accept no substitutes!

Sandman makes CR's too?:surprised:

Nice job on the build. Just curious, but are the fins TTW?

They are not through the wall. I chose not to put them through the wall for the simple fact that I thought that there was enough surface area that was touching the side of the airframe to be sufficient.

I will be looking at Sandman's stuff tonight.

And by the way I've used Elmers Carpenters Wood glue.

"sandable, paintable, and somewhat flexible"

Back