Nearly Five Year to The Day, Where Are WE Now?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnie

Reaction score
I made propellant today...propellant inspired by watching Pat G. on a program aired on the Discovery channel in November 2003. I was in Orangeburg with a group of fellow rocketeers attending a Tripoli South Carolina Research Launch that weekend, and the program was a two or three part show called "The Rocketry Challenge"...it just so happens that was the same night that our TV ad aired advertising for https://FlyRockets.com This commercial was the largest effort, and subsequently, probably the last time that we all banded together en masse to try and save our hobby. Now, after 5-years, nearly to the day, I am forced to ask the question, 'where are WE now'? It would seem to me it is time to get busy flying or get busy dieing...I believe it time to come back together...come back together and do something great for this hobby once again (?) No?

Five years ago we were hyped, we had a mission, and were focused...I see now from the lack of interest here, as well as the TRA list serve, pretty much sums up where we are:

Divided, Fractured, Disgrunteled...or maybe we just don't care anymore(?) I knew I should have made this thread a poll...

Johnnie, I could not agree with you more. We spend way too much time arguing with each other over things that will not benefit anyone, let alone keep HPR alive and thriving.

Five years ago we were hyped, we had a mission, and were focused...I see now from the lack of interest here, as well as the TRA list serve, pretty much sums up where we are:

Divided, Fractured, Disgrunteled...or maybe we just don't care anymore(?) I knew I should have made thread a poll...

The optimist in me says that we are arguing more because we feel safer -- we are not faced with the same crisis (or at least the same sense of crisis) that we were five years ago. Back in the 80s and 90s there were long running flame wars on RMR, and it wasn't because of apathy. If people don't perceive big problems, they will worry about small ones. And if those perceptions are right, and we aren't faced with extinction, then be thankful.

Sam

I agree, we always need to do more outreach.

But, from where I sit, we're in a "golden age" of rocketry. HPR motor storage issues are a minor annoyance, but easily worked around. There are more kit manufacturers than ever. There are more motor manufacturers than ever. I've got to pick between local model/HPR launches several times a month, year round. The electronic payloads are outstanding. R/C gliders are having a renaissance. We have *three* high quality glossy magazines devoted to the hobby. We have so many kids showing up to the launches that we had to institute special hours for them. TARC continues to grow. There are programs like CANSAT and SLI.

We can't rest on our laurels. What's the thing that we need to target, Johnnie?

The problem I perceive now is that having storage to store large rocket motors does me no good if I have no place to fly them.

This weekend our club had one of our two or three high power launches per year, 150 miles away. I had other important things to do that kept me home, but had the launch been within 40 miles or so, I could've gotten away for a few hours launch. That extra two to four hours on the road really kills it for me.

Heck, we haven't had a low power launch for over three months because we have almost no place to fly low power rockets any more. If it's not park regulations, and school system restrictions, fields are already over-booked by soccer and softball. And forget commercial interests. As soon as you say "rocket" they don't want to hear any more, doesn't matter that you can give them an insurance policy. They don't want the bother.

I used to think it was an east coast, or urban problem, but I've heard of other problems in areas that I wouldn't have thought would have them, like Arizona.

That, my friend, is the real crisis in rocketry at the moment.

Now, after 5-years, nearly to the day, I am forced to ask the question, 'where are WE now'? It would seem to me it is time to get busy flying or get busy dieing...I believe it time to come back together...come back together and do something great for this hobby once again (?) No?

Where are we today?

Well, i had a most fantastic day of flying today. We had a great club event with some L1 certs, HPR flights, as well as model rocket and MPR flights. I couldn't have asked for a better day of flying.

No complaints from me whatsoever. Seems the people who tend to complain with the direction things go in, are the ones who should probably re-evaluate why they are in that "thing" to begin with. If you're not having fun, then its probably time to get out.

The problem I perceive now is that having storage to store large rocket motors does me no good if I have no place to fly them.

The AMA has a major effort on to help local R/C flying clubs protect, and acquire new, flying fields.

Do you think an ad in the local newspaper might help locate a local flying field? Maybe you could come up with "ideal" and then "minimal" requirements for a flying field. You might find someone to volunteer a field.

Or you could make up a flyer to hand out at a local airshow. We generated a lot of interest by having a booth at a local airshow.

Does your club do TARC? Circulating a desired launch field requirements outline to the parents of TARC students might turn something up.

Yes, loss of flying fields is probably the biggest threat to the hobby...

Storage and LEUP requirements are only a minor annoyance to those who can get an LEUP or have someone local who has one.

Back