NARCON 2011

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Wilkerson

Reaction score
NARCON 2011 will be held in Seattle, Washington on March 12th and 13th. Information, including on-line registration, at www.narcon.org.

Still looking for those interested in hosting a 1-hour workshop on a rocketry topic of your choice - please contact me directly at [email protected]

Vendors/manufacturers - dedicated page on the NARCON website to include a contact email.

Look forward to seeing you in Seattle for NARCON!

Jim Wilkerson
NAR 29221 L3/L3CC
NARCON Coordinator

The online registration worked flawlessly.

See you in March.

John

I'm pleased to announce that former Shuttle commander and retired Navy Captain Hoot Gibson will be speaking at the NARCON dinner on March 12th. Many thanks to long-time NAR member Pat Fitzpatrick for making
this happen. Hoot is a veteran of 5 shuttle missions and served in the US
Navy as an F-14 pilot. He is an American Modeling Association ambassador,
and he was present at the 1980 Spacemodeling Championships held in
Lakehurst, New Jersey. A fairly detailed bio can be found at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_L._Gibson.

Seating at the dinner is limited, so please make your
reservations early.

Mark Mayfield will give his presentation "The Way Forward: Space and Rocketry in the 21st Century" on Sunday.

Greetings all - The University Inn, the host hotel for NARCON 2011, is guaranteeing the NARCON rate only through January 24th (Monday). After Monday, rooms at that rate are on a space-available basis only. Make sure to indicate that you are a part of NARCON when calling the hotel for reservations.

Check the website, www.NARCON.org, for lodging links and information.

Additionally, NARCON will have a photo contest! Check the website in the near future for details.

Regards
Jim Wilkerson
NARCON 2011 Coordinator

Greetings all - Deadline for ordering T-shirts for NARCON is February 14th. This will ensure that a t-shirt is there for you on arrival. There will be a very limited number available at the event, so don't miss out by ordering yours today! The t-shirts are heavy-duty cotton blends with the NARCON emblem embroidered on the front.

It's almost time - March is fast approaching. Register today at www.narcon.org!

Regards
Jim Wilkerson
NARCON 2011 Coordinator

While FlisKits will not be able to attend NARCON, we are proud to continue our long standing tradition of supporting this fun and exciting event!

Just today we shipped out custom range box stickers so that everyone attending has something to decorate their range box and to show off that they were there!

Additionally, FlisKits will be announcing our newest kit, the Proxima Centauri as the NARCON commemorative kit. This was the kit that was vote by our club (CMASS) as the one they wanted released next (back in October), but we were unable to get to it before the end of the year. Instead we saved it for NARCON!

Attached are some pictures of the final boiler-plate, expertly done by our own Tony Vincent! NARCON will receive a number of these as we as other fun incentives related to this kit (final donation hasn't been nailed down just yet). We also hope to have this model by Tony ON DISPLAY at NARCON! So give it a look and see what we've been up to.

Good luck to all at NARCON. Wish we could be there!

jim

Proxima Centari 16.jpg

Proxima Centari 2.jpg

Proxima Centari 18.jpg

Proxima Centari 15.jpg

Unfortunately, we were unable to produce the commemorative kit that we *wanted* to do due to licensing issues (long story).

We have a working (flying) version of the Space Needle that was to become the commemorative kit but we had to put that design aside. There is a chance that the final proto type will also be on display at NARCON so be sure to check that out (and the pix below) as well.

This would have been SO kewl... :D

DSC00375.jpg

Threading Needle03.jpg

I don't know what they're putting in your water supply up there, Jim, but my goodness you keep coming up with some interesting rockets!!

Additionally, FlisKits will be announcing our newest kit, the Proxima Centauri as the NARCON commemorative kit.

attachment.php

jim

! Details ! Details ! Details !​

I need details - This screams UPSCALE ME! ! ! !

Unfortunately, we were unable to produce the commemorative kit that we *wanted* to do due to licensing issues (long story).

We have a working (flying) version of the Space Needle that was to become the commemorative kit but we had to put that design aside. There is a chance that the final proto type will also be on display at NARCON so be sure to check that out (and the pix below) as well.

This would have been SO kewl... :D

Unlike Jim, it was stable.

5361310444_50df34dcf9_z.jpg

Hey! That's cheating! You flew it upside down. . . . .:(

I looked at that building (space needle) for DAYS trying to figure out how I could make it fly without a pound of nose weight and/or huge clear fins.....

One day I was looking through the pix and one was upside down... I though AH HA! :)

Took some finagling with nose weight but she flies great :)

Took some finagling with nose weight but she flies great :)

Jim was parked next to my truck looking for nose weight materials. I'm happy to report that the solder he used was lead free so there was no risk to the environment.

Since I feel guilty about helping drag this thread away from it's original topic, I'll bring it back. The list of speakers at this year's NARCON is impressive.

Greetings all - less than one week to NARCON! Pre-registration will close at 6 pm Pacific time on March 8th (Tuesday). If you've been fence-sitting, now's the time to complete that registration on-line.

Don't forget the NARCON photo contest - details on the website. We've got some great prizes to award.

Regards
Jim Wilkerson
NARCON 2011 Coordinator

For those not use to the NW weather, bring your umbrella. It's not like it's been raining for the last few months :(

Being the first time ever attending a NAR event, Jim Wilkerson and the WAC have put on an awesome event, with attendance at the ~ 150+ level from all over North America.

The technical sessions have been varied and very well attended and interesting. The Vendor area has been busy, and likely will be swamped today as we attack en masse and make our final purchases. The NAR town Hall meeting was very enlightening, Trip commenting on many of the initiatives the NAR and the Board have enacted.

Last night's banquet was over booked but fully accommodated. Shuttle Astronaut Robert "Hoot" Gibson being the Guest of Honor, expounded with humor on his five Shuttle missions spanning the 1980's and 1990's. He even recounted flying Bob Park's RC S8E Glider at the 1980 WSMC in Lakehurst New Jersey. His presence at the event being underwritten by Alaska Airlines.

I am extremely glad I came to the event and look forward to today's sessions and the events at the Museum of Flight. I sure hope WAC and Jim consider hosting another similar event in the future.

Garth

I had a blast learning from the workshops and was great to learn about the history of rocketry.
It was cool to talk to Tim about AltimeterTwo and can't wait to purchase it. :wink:

AltimeterOne plus a three-axis accelerometer......!

In addition to peak altitude it will read out motor burn time, peak and average boost acceleration, coast time to apogee, apogee to ejection time (presuming they occur in that order), altitude at ejection, average descent rate and total flight duration. $20 more than AltimeterOne, and said to be available next month. It looks exactly the same on the outside except for the label.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back