60 Acres Park, Redmond, WA (Seattle area)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirkTheDaring

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello Seattle-area peeps! I figured I might as well start a thread dedicated to figuring out when 60 Acres park is available for rocketry and related topics. I'm still relatively new to launching in this area, so there are probably people who know more about it than I. (Bernard, for instance.) Currently, this being what passes for summer in Seattle, 60 Acres is mostly used for Soccer. The challenge is figuring out when it is not in such use.

Here is a link with some information: https://experienceredmond.com/host-your-event-here/venues/60-acres-park/

The two soccer organizations that I know of are Crossfire (https://www.crossfiresoccer.org/venue/60-acres-soccer-complex/) and One Soccer Schools (https://www.onesoccerschools.com/venues/60-acres-soccer-park).

Crossfire has a bunch of schedule information available, but it's not laid out in an easy to use way for our purposes. One Soccer had nothing that I found useful (but I may be missing things).

It appears that if there is no tournament and no camp, then the field is available weekdays until 3PM. However, 1) it's hard to tell when there are tournies and camps and 2) this may not be true.

I don't know what the weekend availability is, and I'm not sure what happens at 3PM, but there are reports of soccer goals being set up at that time.

During the school year it seems to be available during school hours, but, of course, we have Seattle weather to deal with.

The Washington Aerospace Club (NAR chapter) has a few launches a year at 60 Acres. Schedule is here: http://www.washingtonaerospace.org/launches.php with the next launch not until November 19th.

Please feel free to use this thread to post any information you have about 60 Acres, including availability, contact info (if you have any), lost rockets, anything else about the field and, especially, if you plan on being there and want company.

I plan to be there this Wednesday the 20th, at about noon. I'm crossing my digits and hoping it's available.

I'd especially love to find someone who lives nearby and can run over and check it out, but that may be asking for miracles.

PS - if anyone has firm information about Marymoor park, feel free to post it here. I've read that it's no longer available for launches, but I have not confirmed this.

Today (July 20th), we got to 60 Acres about 1:30 and there was no soccer. We stayed until about 3:30 when the heat drove us off. They were mowing and watering, but no sign of soccer players, so all was cool. I launched a half height Tall Boy, a Der Big Red Max, Deuces Wild, Tres 18 and a variety of smaller rockets. The Tall Boy shock cord tangled and being shorter than normal the shock actually pulled the screw eye out of the bulkhead and I lost one section and the nose cone. Easily replicable. I launched the DBRM with an E26 and the flight was low and slow, but the delay was too long and while the chute opened it came down hard and one fin will need to be fixed. The others launched beautifully. I'll be editing videos and posting them as I have time.

I was happy to have the field available and there was a family with young kids launching a few rockets as well.

@BEC Do you know if WAC has any schedule launches at 60 Acres during the summer? I managed to get subscribed to the email list, but it's signal-to-noise is silent.
No, they do not. Soccer rules until around Thanksgiving, so WAC doesn't start, as mentioned above, until November. Generally the WAC launches are November, and monthly January through April (weather permitting) and sometimes Jim moves them to Saturday from a scheduled Sunday if the weather forecast is enough better to make it worthwhile.

That said, I spent the afternoon at Sixty Acres today. I had the place to myself from about 1:00 when I got there until after 5 before informal groups of soccer practice were starting to form. There's a soccer day camp on one of the Crossfire schedules for this week that is supposed to run until noon, but I was expecting to see goals and stuff all over the fields, but both of them were almost clear. Only the lighting rig they use over their stage or something was near the south edge of the north field.

There was a little watering going on, but that's about it. I was surprised, actually.

No, they do not. Soccer rules until around Thanksgiving, so WAC doesn't start, as mentioned above, until November. Generally the WAC launches are November, and monthly January through April (weather permitting) and sometimes Jim moves them to Saturday from a scheduled Sunday if the weather forecast is enough better to make it worthwhile.

That said, I spent the afternoon at Sixty Acres today. I had the place to myself from about 1:00 when I got there until after 5 before informal groups of soccer practice were starting to form. There's a soccer day camp on one of the Crossfire schedules for this week that is supposed to run until noon, but I was expecting to see goals and stuff all over the fields, but both of them were almost clear. Only the lighting rig they use over their stage or something was near the south edge of the north field.

There was a little watering going on, but that's about it. I was surprised, actually.
But wasn’t it hot as the dickens?

It was kind of sweaty, yes. I brought a small shade canopy, which probably saved me. But I wanted to test some new Eggtimer ION firmware, so I did. Results are mixed. I'm plotting the data now....but I should work on it tomorrow.

I plan to launch at 60 Acres this coming Friday, the 19th, weather permitting. I should be there sometime around 11 or 11:30. I think it's between soccer camps, but no guarantees.

Join me if you can!

PS - this is the day before a Boeing Club launch, which I also hope to attend.

I plan to launch at 60 Acres this coming Friday, the 19th, weather permitting. I should be there sometime around 11 or 11:30. I think it's between soccer camps, but no guarantees.

Join me if you can!

PS - this is the day before a Boeing Club launch, which I also hope to attend.
I will try and be there, also. I might be able to take a break from work in the middle of the day.

I am GO for tomorrow, Friday the 19th at 60 Acres. Because it's going to be hot and the wind will be coming up, I'm going to try to be there by 10:30, earlier if I can drag my sorry butt out of bed sooner. Look for the short bearded guy in a goofy sun hat. Hope to see you there!

I am GO for tomorrow, Friday the 19th at 60 Acres. Because it's going to be hot and the wind will be coming up, I'm going to try to be there by 10:30, earlier if I can drag my sorry butt out of bed sooner. Look for the short bearded guy in a goofy sun hat. Hope to see you there!
PS, I also plan to attend the Boeing club launch on Saturday in Kent.

I believe there is a stage 1 burn ban. Any concerns? @BEC ?

I don't live anywhere near Seattle but just chiming in here.
I think an air quality burn ban is different than a fire safety burn ban.
For what we do the fire safety ban is the applicable one, I believe.
My 2 cents.

Why didn't I see that (King County) yesterday when I was looking for it? I really was expecting it, too. Grrrrrrr.....

I put out a "Go" email this morning for Saturday's launch with the idea that we'd take extra precautions, and I'm inclined to proceed with those as it's not a stage 2 burn ban. We will have welding blankets on the ground under the pads, water sprayers on hand and ready to go, and I will not allow any unusual configurations to fly that I haven't seen successfully fly before (the individual model, not just the type).

The more I think about it, the more I think I really should cancel Saturday's launch, now that I do know there has been a county burn ban in effect for nearly three weeks. The field was covered with short dry grasses and such last month. *sigh*

As for flying tomorrow at Sixty Acres....I'd have no concerns on those watered soccer fields. Have fun, those who might be going up there.

Last edited:
I guess what bothers me the most is that it took so much research by several people to uncover this detail. You would think that this would be easier to find.

I do plan to lunch at 60 acres so long as the winds stay low. They may be lower on Monday but I won’t be able to be there until later in the day and I haven’t checked the soccer plans for that day.

PS what’s a DARC-1?

I have emailed Brent Champaco at the link to verify the Burn ban from July 28 is still in effect for Aug 20th.
I assume it is and will follow the ban, just wanted to verify. Waiting for his reply.

Pooklord

I guess what bothers me the most is that it took so much research by several people to uncover this detail. You would think that this would be easier to find.

I do plan to lunch at 60 acres so long as the winds stay low. They may be lower on Monday but I won’t be able to be there until later in the day and I haven’t checked the soccer plans for that day.

PS what’s a DARC-1?
I absolutely agree with you about finding the info. I went to kingcounty.gov yesterday and searched the site for "burn ban" and got the link to the Puget Sound Clean Air agency (which showed no ban), but nothing recent about a fire safety ban. So yes, very frustrated about that and the ensuing scramble.

And sorry....now that I think of it, it was someone else who brought one last month. https://estesrockets.com/darc-1/

It didn't exactly work as it should....

Anyone here who is on the BEMRC mailing list should have gotten a short "SCRUB" notice from me this evening, either a couple of hours ago or just a few minutes ago. Apologies for the typos in it. I sent it out in a hurry and didn't look at it too closely when I sent it to the other half of the DL a little while ago. My email provider was giving me issues which added to my frustration....

Those of you going up to Sixty Acres tomorrow, have a good time.

Well nuts, but safety first. I still plan on being at 60 Acres Friday morning and since I suspect I won't be able to launch everything I want to, I'll probably be back there Monday afternoon. Or maybe Sunday. Have to look into the soccer situation. I assume weekends are busier, soccer or no, so probably Monday.

Thanks @BEC for everything you do to help us rocketeers!

Back