NAR Rules Change Ballot

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zog139

Reaction score
The RCP process for changing rules in the NAR Sporting Code a.k.a. “The Pink Book” is defined in the sporting code under section “F” of the appendix. The process can be reviewed online at https://www.nar.org/pinkbook/ if you do not have a hard copy of the pink book. The cycle for proposed changes now runs on a one year cycle. New this year is an online forum area that has been set up as a dedicated RCP Forum for the proposals to be reviewed, commented on and finally voted on. By changing to an all electronic process, the NAR and the Contest Board are moving forward via technology. You must sign up on the forum page to post comments and to vote on the proposals. The FAQ for logging into and using this forum is located here https://www.nar.org/pdf/RCP_FAQs.pdf What if I didn’t get an Email with my username and password? This may be because you are not currently an active NAR member, the email address the NAR HQ has for you is out of date or not listed. If you are a current NAR member and want to use the forum, send an email to [email protected] with your Name, NAR Number and current email address.

This cycle has twenty three proposals included. Each of these proposals is posted in the new online forum. The required comment period is now closed. All official comments that were posted in the forum are available for your review prior to you placing your ballot. The next phase is now for the membership to vote on the proposals. The ballot is located on-line in the RCP forum area as previously mentioned in this article.

Take the time to read the proposals carefully. I also recommend that you discuss the proposals with fellow contest flyers for the pros and cons of the proposals. Some clubs even have discussion at business meetings to allow for opinions to be shared amongst members.

The following timeline will complete the current cycle. You must submit your ballot by June 1, 2012. When the proposals are voted on, they will require a 66% vote for the proposal to be passed and become a part of the pink book effective for the new contest year July1, 2012, but they will have no bearing on NARAM-54. I would like to remind everyone that the opportunity for you to submit a RCP is as simple as writing up your idea or submitting it online at the link you can find at: https://www.nar.org/competition/pinkbookrcpform.html

And the results have just been published.....

Something that caught my eye is that the voter turnout - number of ballots cast divided by the number of NAR members - was only 1.1%!

I sure hope the other 98.9% of members are happy with the opinions of myself and the other 59 people who voted.

As a percentage of total members, contest fliers are a pretty small group.

kj

I understand that. But I expect there are many more than 60 across the whole country. Either that or those of us out here in the Pacific Northwest that are just getting going in such things account for more than 10% of all contest flyers. And I really doubt it.

306 non team entries listed on the points list at the NAR website. 39 of those are A divisioners so let's set those aside (even though they are entitled to a vote and they may well vote- I'm gonna take them out of this discussion) which leaves 267 B and C individual contest fliers. So the 60 votes cast is about 22% of the contest fliers which is better than I would have thought. I would have guessed only 10-15% would have voted.

This year is also the 1st year of online balloting, so there may have been a decrease in overall number of votes, but those that did vote had to care enough to register and make their vote as opposed to just checking yes for everything on a sheet of paper which we have seen in the past.

Thanks for the analysis. That does put the numbers into a bit better perspective.

And I agree that the online voting did present a bit of a barrier so that one "had to care enough to register". That cuts both ways I suppose.

Back