My Level 3 build log - 7.5" Little John

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never realized the cg being far forward could be an issue. What does coning look like?

Imagine the rocket flying straight with the nose of the rocket “drawing circles” in the sky. In severe cases this will evolve into something that can tear the rocket apart.

Typical more than 4 calibers if stability can begin to cause problems

Been just over a month since my last update and during that time I have been working on my documentation package. Working with my L3CC, I made a few changes, and added additional information that was requested. Finally completed all updates and was able to go out to the DARS launch in Gunter this past weekend and meet with my L3CC where he inspected my build and signed my paperwork. So I'm officially ready for my certification flight. Depending on weather and the wind is out of the North, I can hopefully make the attempt in either Mid-February or Mid-March at the DARS site in Gunter. Otherwise it would have to take place at the TNT facilities in Seymour at the end of those months.

Attachments

• Level 3 Certification Project.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Well, after a 9 month long process from design to ready to fly, the SUCCESSFUL certification flight attempt occurred yesterday. This was done at the Tripoli North Texas launch site at Seymour, TX. I just want to say thank you to my L3CC, Dave Schaefer for his guidance and assistance in making this happen. I also want to mention how great the TNT team is, and how nice their launch facilities are. Once all of my NAR paperwork goes through and is completed, I plan on joining Tripoli and the TNT group so that I support them as well as the great people at DARS.

Here is a link to the edited flight video:

QUASAR Flight Summary
Flight Status: Landed
Apogee:.........4974
Time to Apogee.....17.10
Max Velocity.....723 (Est.)
Time to MaxVeloc.....3.35
Avg Accel(G).....6.70 (Est.)
LDA Alt.........227
Time to LDA.....1.15
Low V Alt.......4925
Time to LowV.....15.75
Nose-Over Alt...4967
Time to Nose-Over.....18.10
Drogue Alt......4967
Time to Drogue.....18.10
Main Alt........795
Time to Main.....206.10
Flight Time.....270.10
ASL Alt.........1140
Temp. F.........60.6

L3 Certification Flight On the Pad.jpg L3 Certification Flight Launch.jpg

Last edited:
Great flight @conneryc !

No roll at all until the rocket slowed near apogee.

Nice job on your fins :)

Beautiful green flame ... What motor did you fly ?

@bad_idea said it was unusually calm at the TNT Seymour site yesterday -- great day for a L3 !

Congratulations and thanks for the video !

-- kjh

Great flight @conneryc !

No roll at all until the rocket slowed near apogee.

Nice job on your fins :)

Beautiful green flame ... What motor did you fly ?

@bad_idea said it was unusually calm at the TNT Seymour site yesterday -- great day for a L3 !

Congratulations and thanks for the video !

-- kjh

Thanks!! Yes, the weather was perfect for ANY flight. Lots of L1 certs were happening as well and many LRP and HPR flights. The motor I flew was an Aerotech M1500G. When I watched the video I was surprised at how straight it flew with no roll at all. Can't wait to go out there and do it again, this time with more than just the one rocket :)

Oooooooooooooooh! That green flame is so cool. Cogngrats on the successful flight!

Back