6" or larger Little John

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conneryc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So I am working towards the design of my Level 3 rocket and I have always like the simplicity of the Little John design. I built the original BSD 4" Little John many years ago, and I want to use that design for my Level 3 certification. I was originally thinking about a 1:1 scale at 12" which wouldn't be a problem except for having to fabricate a nosecone. The 11.5" PML tubing and fiberglass nose cone is also pretty pricey, so it might come down to doing one in either 6" or 7.5".

I've been looking at the Composite Warehouse 6" Little John kit, but custom building one from PML 7.5" Phenolic tubing is also another option. The main question I have regarding that route is regarding the nosecone. Since the LOC site only lists a 7.5" nosecone under "LOC nosecones" and there isn't one listed under "PML nosecones", how well does the LOC 7.5" nosecone fit in the PML phenolic tubing?

Does anyone have other suggestions on 6" or larger Little John kits? However, if LOC happens to do a limited run of their previous 7.5" IRIS kit, that's the way I'll probably end up going.

Performance Hobbies also has a 6” FWFG kit. As for the Little John generally you will need to add a lot of nose weight to keep the rocket from coning. So make sure you have an accurate file for it in Rocksim or OpenRocket.

Performance Hobbies also has a 6” FWFG kit. As for the Little John generally you will need to add a lot of nose weight to keep the rocket from coning. So make sure you have an accurate file for it in Rocksim or OpenRocket.
+1

Thank you for the reference to Performance Hobbies. I didn't have that one in my list. They have quite the collection of kits available. 👍

Back