Level 3 Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyBy01

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It has finally happened, after a year of staring at parts and cleaning my work area I now want to work on this accumulation of parts. A Level 3 Proposal submission was made to my TAPs and I have been approved to start construction. I am not in a rush and want to enjoy the process. I am looking to launch fall of 2024.
  • Ultimate Wildman "Orion's Arrow"
    • Fiberglass 6"in. round and 11'ft. tall
More to come after the Holidays.

Attachments

• Level 3 components.jpg
    Level 3 components.jpg
    897.1 KB · Views: 0
good luck! Taking your time is good...I've been working on my L3 rocket for almost a year now...lol

Thats awesome, good luck! I'm only attempting my L2 but have been planning that for months and won't fly until spring 2024. Time is definitely my friend as well. Have fun!

Here are some of the results if you put "Ultimate Wildman" in a multiword anagram solver:

a mutate windmill
aunt dimwit Mella
await mild unmelt

In case you want to change the name...

Ensuring the motor tube is square.
IMG_3287.jpgI do not have a 98mm motor case so I used my Honest Jon Avbay to ensure the motor retainer, motor tube, and centering ring are aligned. Then I used a fine point to mark the mounting locations. IMG_3291.jpgThe results seem pretty good and will allow for me to further plan how I want to proceed with the build. IMG_3292.jpg

The plan will be to measure where the centering rings will engage the fins to make a locking type structure. I will also have to file some room in the top centering ring for the 1" in. Flat Kevlar that will be epoxied to the motor tube with Proline 4500. Prior to installing the fins and motor tube unit three fin dams will be installed. Once the motor tube unit is installed the each fin will be installed by injecting epoxy into the fin dam and placing the fin into position.

Kevlar has been ordered and should arrive after the New Year.

I sanded down a pencil to fit in between the fin slots to mark the motor tube for two reasons: 1. measure for fin channels 2. avoid possible interference of Kevlar harness, centering rings, and fin channels.

I will have to notch the top centering ring for the Kevlar harness and thanks for the idea from one of UpScaler 's video I have tied a knot for added piece of mind. The Kevlar will be attached with Proline 4500 epoxy to the motor tube.

Attachments

• IMG_3305.jpg
    IMG_3305.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3306.jpg
    IMG_3306.jpg
    972 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3307.jpg
    IMG_3307.jpg
    745.5 KB · Views: 0
My neighbor saved me $200 by allowing me to borrow his drill press and it was nice. Alignment is perfect and the drill press is the way to go.

Learning:
I know there are 10 PEM nuts and 2 wood screw type nuts pictured. I did not know that the retainer has 12 screws and PEM nuts usually come in packages of ten. Needless to say I have ordered additional PEM nuts and that is what will be used.

Attachments

• IMG_3317.jpg
    IMG_3317.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3318.jpg
    IMG_3318.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3320.jpg
    IMG_3320.jpg
Top ring notched for Kevlar and picked up 6 pieces of basswood for the fin epoxy dams.

Next steps are to get some paper and ensure top centering ring alignment then tack it in with CA followed by lots of blue tape and Proline4500 to bond the Kevlar. Motor tube will be multidirectional sanded to ensure proper adhesion.

Attachments

• IMG_3324.jpeg
    IMG_3324.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
My friend Theory was right! Proline 4500 will make it's way everywhere. Thank you for the heads-up.

I was feeling ambitious tonight and reinforced the PEM nuts that arrived today from Missileworks with epoxy and did the initial tackin of the motor tube to the aft centering ring.

Attachments

• Epoxy motor aft centering ring 01.08.2024.jpg
    Epoxy motor aft centering ring 01.08.2024.jpg
  • Epoxy aft centering ring 1.1v 01.08.2024.jpg
    Epoxy aft centering ring 1.1v 01.08.2024.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
First I tacked in the top centering ring with thin CA glue and will have epoxy fillets once the kevlar and epoxy fin dams are installed. I finally had the time to epoxy one side of the harness down and also plan to epoxy the kevlar above the top centering ring. The kevlar soaked up the Proline 4500 better than expected. I was very careful to not interfere with where the epoxy fin dams will be placed thus the blue tape. I was very satisfied when taking the tape off; it just makes me look like a pro.

Attachments

• IMG_3414.jpg
    IMG_3414.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3415.jpg
    IMG_3415.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3413.jpg
    IMG_3413.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
The Kevlar harness is completely finished, filleted the top of the top centering ring, CA glued in fin ones’ epoxy dam, and measured everything many times to ensure fitment.

Once all epoxy dams are installed the centering rings will get their final fillets.

Attachments

• IMG_3426.jpeg
    IMG_3426.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3428.jpeg
    IMG_3428.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3431.jpeg
    IMG_3431.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3430.jpeg
    IMG_3430.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3429.jpeg
    IMG_3429.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Loki possibly the M-1200-SF or the M-1650-CT. I’m a bit of a Sparky junky so…. I just don’t like the 5:1 of the sparky and would prefer a higher thrust to weight ratio and cases are expensive. Loki motor’s also allow for EX motors at a later time.
Exactly right. The snap ring Loki cases are great for EX. If you are planning on doing EX, you might want to consider that. I bought the 76-6000 case and M1882 for my L3 cert. I've flown 12 EX M loads in that case since.

Loki possibly the M-1200-SF or the M-1650-CT. I’m a bit of a Sparky junky so…. I just don’t like the 5:1 of the sparky and would prefer a higher thrust to weight ratio and cases are expensive. Loki motor’s also allow for EX motors at a later time.

M1650 FTW!

Bet you will be ok with the M1200 flying off our 15' rail. Peak thrust on that load is at 2 seconds into the burn and continues with over 300 pounds until 3.2 seconds. As long as you have 60+fps off the rail you will be in very good shape as the motor will continue to build power.

This is a ridiculously big fin alignment guide and the 5th design. The biggest challenge was getting it to fit my printer’s available print space. Took 31 hours to print.

Attachments

• IMG_3461.jpeg
    IMG_3461.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back