My L3 Portly Parrot Build Package

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secretagent

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am pleased to report that I flew my "Portly Parrot" yesterday to ~12,600 AGL, successfully completing my NAR L3 certification flight. It was a long journey that I've documented well (excessively?) in this build package: Bodzin L3 Certification Package

Special thanks to Steve Lubliner (my L3CC) and James Cramton (who was there for every one of my certification flights); without their mentoring this never would have been possible.

IMG_4599.jpgIMG_4583.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations! I thought about attending, but it did not work out timeing wise this time.
How is recovery at the new site?
Maybe there will another launch scheduled before the extreme heat sets in!

How is recovery at the new site?
Recovery was fine, although we did manage to land on the other side of a mountain about 3,000' away. We drove to 1,800', and probably could have gotten closer to 500' if we'd wanted to. It was a nice day so the hike was fine.

Side note: I used this beeper and we could hear the rocket (250' away) before we spotted it (150').

Maybe there will another launch scheduled before the extreme heat sets in!
James sent out a note that the next Agua Blanca launch probably won't be until fall. We have our last SSS launch this weekend before the heat, so come to that!

Back