My first Level 1 Rocket build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, the advantage of Z-folding and banding is to keep the harness from getting all tangled up during deployment. Before I started doing that, I had a dirty Kevlar harness get all tangled up such that only about 1/3 of the length was in play. It jerked the eye bolt and bulkhead off of the nose cone. Not good.

+1, those are the other reasons I z-fold. I am not a fan of the "blow it out, or blow it up" school.

All I've got, other than compliments on a very nice build, is one comment on the color scheme.

There's a lot of unbroken red. I find myself in the same situation sometimes, thinking of colors for sections like nose cone, main tube, payload tube, and fins, then having this great big expanse of a single main tube color. One solution I've use is to add a band of something contrasting. I've got a very similar LP that I threw together in a hurry out of spare parts: red nose cone, black body tube, red fin can. Too much black. All I did was add a 1/4"-ish wide band of gold about 2/3 of the way up, and it looks 100% better. Something similar could work here, if you want it. Make it more like an inch wide for this rocket, gold, yellow, white, purple, or anything you like that contrasts well against both the red and the black.

I had a few other comments, but others have beat me to them all, so I'll just end by repeating: very nice build. Well done.

So I didn't get to play in Photoshop, but did make the e-bay gold in Rocksim and you are right. Nice looking breakup. I just might take that thing out this week and give it a go! Cool Suggestion.

Ok so I've reviewed, talked, and then seriously looked at everything I'd gathered. With the larger z-folds, I didn't want too much extra stuff in the tube, so for now I'm going to try and stick with Tape. I did break tests on green, blue, yellow, and masking and feel the yellow is best suited. Also tested placing a few small knicks along the outside edge of each strand so that they will tear easier. I made a little jig to keep them lined up; since I used to tie traditional bow strings, I figured it'd work here. Anyway, here's my Z-Folds in all their glory :)
WP_20160301_15_27_37_Pro (500x388).jpgWP_20160301_15_29_06_Pro (500x375).jpgWP_20160301_15_31_57_Pro (500x244).jpg

Ok so I've reviewed, talked, and then seriously looked at everything I'd gathered. With the larger z-folds, I didn't want too much extra stuff in the tube, so for now I'm going to try and stick with Tape. I did break tests on green, blue, yellow, and masking and feel the yellow is best suited. Also tested placing a few small knicks along the outside edge of each strand so that they will tear easier. I made a little jig to keep them lined up; since I used to tie traditional bow strings, I figured it'd work here. Anyway, here's my Z-Folds in all their glory :)
View attachment 283782View attachment 283783View attachment 283784

Looks good Kevin!

Thanks Guys. Well met with NOVAAR tonight and barring any unforeseen issues or weather patterns, the date is set for Sunday March 13 to launch the Torrent for it's maiden voyage and Level 1 attempt. NOW I'm getting excited! :)

Looks great! Good luck with the launch. You may have said, and I just missed it, but what motor are you using?

I'm planning in the I212-9-SS. I've been told it will probably be available on-site; otherwise they would be able to give me an I that's close to the same. I'll run the sim there if it is different and make a command decision onsite.

Was unpacking some stuff today and forgot about a sticker I'd picked up in Seattle. Carefully cut it out and got it secured to one fin.
WP_20160302_22_40_37_Pro (500x445).jpgWP_20160302_22_40_57_Pro.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20160302_22_40_57_Pro (281x500).jpg
    WP_20160302_22_40_57_Pro (281x500).jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 79
A Pirate Rocket in A Vast Sky!

As I told all the young pirates I made swords for (I was a balloon artist in PDX), "Remember, me buckos go in the jarrrrrrr"

Thanks guys. And THANK YOU TEDDY! Got the OneBadHawk recovery gear today! Quick connects installed on this rocket, and the harness and connects sitting on top of the Level - 2 waiting on my to start! Greatly appreciate the awesome service!!

All I've got, other than compliments on a very nice build, is one comment on the color scheme.

There's a lot of unbroken red. I find myself in the same situation sometimes, thinking of colors for sections like nose cone, main tube, payload tube, and fins, then having this great big expanse of a single main tube color. One solution I've use is to add a band of something contrasting. I've got a very similar LP that I threw together in a hurry out of spare parts: red nose cone, black body tube, red fin can. Too much black. All I did was add a 1/4"-ish wide band of gold about 2/3 of the way up, and it looks 100% better. Something similar could work here, if you want it. Make it more like an inch wide for this rocket, gold, yellow, white, purple, or anything you like that contrasts well against both the red and the black.

I had a few other comments, but others have beat me to them all, so I'll just end by repeating: very nice build. Well done.

Well I kept looking at it, and finally decided I'd rather pen a gold separation line between the red/black so I finished this today. Thanks for the idea.

6 days and counting....weather permitting.

Before................After
WP_20160302_22_40_57_Pro.jpg WP_20160307_16_48_38_Pro (328x600).jpg

Last edited:
Well I kept looking at it, and finally decided I'd rather pen a gold separation line between the red/black so I finished this today. Thanks for the idea.

6 days and counting....weather permitting.

Before................After
View attachment 284322 View attachment 284321
Looks great.

(For the record, I remembered my own pain scheme wrong but the had the right idea. It was a red band in a large black area, while the gold was the large aft area of body tube and fins with a red plastic quarter-turn engine retainer. Same idea, though; the red band broke up the expansive black.)

Ok Charges loaded in Nitrile Glove finger tips and stored away in my ammo box for tomorrow morning. Looks cool and wet but winds around 5mph which isn't bad. Fingers crossed!!
WP_20160312_13_24_56_Pro (600x569).jpgweather.jpg

So it was hit and miss weather wise, but clear for the most part. I ended up using an Cesaroni I236 as that is what was available. Excellent choice. I had an amazing flight and the wind really had very little effect. The apogee deployment went off perfectly, and when the main deployed, the rocket really became stable on it's descent! I'll post a video up a little later tonight or tomorrow when I get a chance to post. I was extremely pleased with this flight and all the great assistance from the guys in NOVAAR getting me prepped today! Bucket list checked. Level 1 achieved! A huge thanks to everyone that's been helping me and giving me pointers along the way. I greatly appreciate the knowledge you've imparted!!

Oh yeah - 2023 foot 285 mph
Kevin

Last edited:
So it was hit and miss weather wise, but clear for the most part. I ended up using an Cesaroni I236 as that is what was available. Excellent choice. I had an amazing flight and the wind really had very little effect. The apogee deployment went off perfectly, and when the main deployed, the rocket really became stable on it's descent! I'll post a video up a little later tonight or tomorrow when I get a chance to post. I was extremely pleased with this flight and all the great assistance from the guys in NOVAAR getting me prepped today! Bucket list checked. Level 1 achieved! A huge thanks to everyone that's been helping me and giving me pointers along the way. I greatly appreciate the knowledge you've imparted!!

Oh yeah - 2023 foot 285 mph
Kevin

Awesome! Congratulations. I love that motor too. Practically all of my rockets can fly on it.

Awesome! Congratulations. I love that motor too. Practically all of my rockets can fly on it.
Indeed Mitch Guess told me how much fun you guys had yesterday! I saw his rocket in the truck today! I'll most definitely come out and "visit" you guys!

Last edited:
Still haven't had a chance to work with the video yet. I did put a JollyLogic 3 in the nosecone and turned it on...but had a DUH moment when I got home and synced up with my daughters IPAD. I needed that out THERE to start the recording. oops. We'll catch the next flight! :)

Here's two getting prepared...
WP_20160313_12_32_46_Pro__highres.jpgWP_20160313_12_41_04_Pro.jpg

Nice! It's fun watching your rocket take care of itself. After you're done basking in the glow of your L1, and you get some experience and fun, you can put a small J in that and fly it for your L2.

Latest posts

Back