Need advice for first fiberglass build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remcha

Reaction score
So I'm about to build my first fiberglass rocket and I'm looking into which epoxy I should use. I know rocket poxy is what a lot of people used for the external fillets but it is not available. I found This stuff on Amazon that looks similar and I was wondering if anyone had used it before.
Also should I be using a different epoxy for the motor mount and centering rings?
Thanks all!

Boss Baby Comedy GIF by PeacockTV

Yes, will be fine but expensive.

I did not care for Max Bond. I did buy some PC 11. tested it and thought it better than Max Bond. I was lucky and found some more Rocket Poxy so I have not used PC 11 for a build yet.
And I use same epoxy for the entire build.

read the reviews, that stuff is crap
with epoxy you get what you pay for.
get the good stuff and you'll never regret it.
get the cheap **** and you'll regret it later.

the really good structural epoxies are only needed for ultra-high performance flights.
Then you can spend your next paycheck buying the really expensive stuff - $132 for 6.7 ounces

For your first build, assuming E-I motors, almost any epoxy is just fine. I would however, avoid 5 and 15 minute epoxies.

Bob Smith 30 minute, and West systems 105/206 is very nice to work with.

People like rocketpoxy for a lot of reasons, one of which is that it is thixotropic...meaning it doesn't flow, and stays in place. You can make a thixotropic epoxy by mixing epoxy with colloidal silica (West system's 406 filler).

If you don't want to mix it yourself, West Six10 is thixotropic and is very nice to work with. https://www.amazon.com/West-Systems-610-Hardener-Cartridge/dp/B002IVAJ6Y/

Here is a nice epoxy thread:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/epoxies-for-hpr.182803/

If it's a standard L1 or L2 sized rocket that's not pushing any boundaries, regular Bob Smith type stuff is fine. For bigger/faster/heavier stuff, I like US Composites with aerosil filler.

As others have replied, you can get away with pretty much any basic epoxy. The BSI stuff does get brittle with age, but certainly will work. JB Weld makes a line of epoxy (not just the standard high temp jb weld, but regular epoxy as well).

However, if you are planning on doing more fiberglass work in the future, you can easily use this as a learning experience to learn how to modify basic epoxy (like West System 105/206 or US Composites) using fillers to become any type of epoxy you want. I started out buying specialized epoxy for each type of application, and I am slowly migrating to just tailoring my basic West System to any application. Structural bond, add high density filler. Fillets, add high density filler plus colloidal silica. Laminating, use straight up. Interior fillets, easily injected with milled carbon fiber (although there is some debate as to the effectiveness of the CF...).

>>Also should I be using a different epoxy for the motor mount and centering rings?

I do not. Some people insist on JB Weld high temp epoxy.

Regardless of what type of epoxy you use, the absolute most important step is surface prep. If the surface isn't cleaned of oxides, grease, or mold release, you will not get good adhesion for any epoxy, whether it is cheap or boutique. Also, make sure you wear proper dust protection for any fiberglass work that generates dust. Once that stuff gets in your lungs, it doesn't break down or get out. Despite all the warning, enjoy this build. After you get comfortable with fiberglass builds, it's pretty hard to go back.

As others have replied, you can get away with pretty much any basic epoxy. The BSI stuff does get brittle with age, but certainly will work. JB Weld makes a line of epoxy (not just the standard high temp jb weld, but regular epoxy as well).

However, if you are planning on doing more fiberglass work in the future, you can easily use this as a learning experience to learn how to modify basic epoxy (like West System 105/206 or US Composites) using fillers to become any type of epoxy you want. I started out buying specialized epoxy for each type of application, and I am slowly migrating to just tailoring my basic West System to any application. Structural bond, add high density filler. Fillets, add high density filler plus colloidal silica. Laminating, use straight up. Interior fillets, easily injected with milled carbon fiber (although there is some debate as to the effectiveness of the CF...).

>>Also should I be using a different epoxy for the motor mount and centering rings?

I do not. Some people insist on JB Weld high temp epoxy.

Regardless of what type of epoxy you use, the absolute most important step is surface prep. If the surface isn't cleaned of oxides, grease, or mold release, you will not get good adhesion for any epoxy, whether it is cheap or boutique. Also, make sure you wear proper dust protection for any fiberglass work that generates dust. Once that stuff gets in your lungs, it doesn't break down or get out. Despite all the warning, enjoy this build. After you get comfortable with fiberglass builds, it's pretty hard to go back.
Ah thanks! It is a semi learning experience. I learned composites in A&P school but all the epoxies were supplied for us there so I'm less familiar with buying my own.

:welcome: to the forum. Questions about adhesives are like going to a car forum and asking what motor oil that you like.

Ah thanks! It is a semi learning experience. I learned composites in A&P school but all the epoxies were supplied for us there so I'm less familiar with buying my own.
Check out System Three T-88. Great stuff at a reasonable price. Most importantly don’t rush a build; I look at it as doing one little thing each day.

Back