MW RRC3 bluetooth module

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Roberts

Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting my RRC3 to connect to my computer via the MW bluetooth module. Any thoughts?
Mark

I'm having trouble getting my RRC3 to connect to my computer via the MW bluetooth module. Any thoughts?
Mark

I'm assuming your connecting the RRC3 through the mDACS program.

Are you able to "Pair" the Bluetooth module with your computer?

If the pairing worked did you note which COM port is shown as "Outgoing".

mDACS asks you to input/select the COM port. You want to use Outgoing.
This is under the Systems Preference Tab; Active Comm Port. You will also
check the box for the "Bluetooth Module" under this Tab.

The Active Comm Port box does not tell you which COM port is Outgoing
and Incoming. You can find that under Control Panel for Windows.

Sometimes this Preference selection does not stick the first time. You should
close the mDACS program and then reopen it. See if your COM port selection
is still in the box.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, QFactor,
Yes, I am trying to connect the RRC3 through mDACS. I assume that there is no "Pair" since I just get a message as follows: "No Comm port active; Please define an active port on the Preferences Page." When I go to "System Preferences" and then "Comm Link," I can choose either "Bluetooth Module" or "Active Comm Port." If I leave the Bluetooth box unchecked and click the active comm port box, I get a choice of COM6 or COM7. Nowhere do I see "Outgoing."

Sorry about the misunderstanding. What I mean by "pairing" with your computer is that you
are "pairing" the MW Bluetooth module with the Bluetooth on your laptop or desktop computer.

You want to go out to the computer's Bluetooth app, which will be under "Devices" in Windows.
Get ready to click on "Add" a Bluetooth device.

With the MW module attached to the RRC3, turn on the RRC3, wait a second, and then click
on Add Bluetooth. Your computer will search for any new devices. When you see HC-06
come up that's what you want to select. It should ask for a code. If it does, just enter 1234.

If all goes well you will see a message about Pairing. That's when your computer assigns
the COM ports to the HC-06.

Once you have that info, you can now start the mDACS program and use the instructions
I posted earlier.

When you are in System Preferences, for mDACS, you need to select the COM port and
check the box for Bluetooth.

Last edited:
OK, I went to Device Manager, Bluetooth, and I saw a bunch of devices listed including HC-06. I didn't see any option to add a device, but I assume that the HC-06 has already been added. Then I opened mDACS, and tried to connect to host and I still get the no comm port message. I have only the bluetooth selected in the "Systems Preferences", "Comm Link" box. Should I also have an "Active Comm Link" specified (COM6 or COM7 in my case)?

OK, I went to Device Manager, Bluetooth, and I saw a bunch of devices listed including HC-06. I didn't see any option to add a device, but I assume that the HC-06 has already been added. Then I opened mDACS, and tried to connect to host and I still get the no comm port message. I have only the bluetooth selected in the "Systems Preferences", "Comm Link" box. Should I also have an "Active Comm Link" specified (COM6 or COM7 in my case)?

Ok, good, your MW module is paired with your computer.

I'm working in Windows 10. So if you go back out to Devices, on the right side of the screen you should see "More Bluetooth options" listed.
Select that, and a "Bluetooth Settings" window should open. Now select the COM Port Tab. You will see which ports were assigned to the
HC-06, and which one is "Outgoing".

In mDACS's System Preference you have to select that outgoing COM port for the Comm Link, and also check the box (select) Bluetooth Module.

Once you've done that select the RRC3 Viewer tab in mDACS. If you have the RRC3 turned on, select "RRC3 Host Connect"
which is in the Viewer tab. The Host Connect will complete the link from mDACS to the RRC3.

I am working in Windows 10, too. I don't know what you mean by "go back out to devices." I can only find "Device Manager" which has nothing on the right side of the screen, much less anything that reads "More bluetooth options."
I've tried clicking on "RRC3 Host Connect" with either COM6 or COM7 selected and neither works. Sorry to be coming back at you again.

I am working in Windows 10, too. I don't know what you mean by "go back out to devices." I can only find "Device Manager" which has nothing on the right side of the screen, much less anything that reads "More bluetooth options."
I've tried clicking on "RRC3 Host Connect" with either COM6 or COM7 selected and neither works. Sorry to be coming back at you again.

All is fine. Sometimes Windows is a little quirky with the bluetooth modules.

If you're in "Device Manager" are you accessing your computer's Bluetooth through Control Panel?
Control Panel has you way down in the thick of things in Windows.

You should have the Windows logo in the lower left corner of your screen. If you click on that you should
see the "gear" symbol which is "Settings". Select Settings, and then select "Devices". This will bring up
the list for "More Bluetooth options."

Another step to consider is removing HC-06 from your Devices and add it back in.

QFactor,
Got it! I found "More Bluetooth options" via the Bluetooth icon on the toolbar at the bottom of my Windows screen at the right. I then found the "Bluetooth settings" window and the outgoing COM port. Finally, I was able to connect to the RRC3. Many thanks for your help!

QFactor,
Got it! I found "More Bluetooth options" via the Bluetooth icon on the toolbar at the bottom of my Windows screen at the right. I then found the "Bluetooth settings" window and the outgoing COM port. Finally, I was able to connect to the RRC3. Many thanks for your help!

Darn it. I forgot about the Bluetooth icon. lol

Glad to hear you're connected.

Back