Motors or Engines?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pyrogen initiated cumbustible high velocity expanding gas and flame generator thingy

I believe it's the technical term:p

Alex: Whoosh tubes

Carlo: Temporarily potential impulse

Rocketgeek101: Rocket food

Nute: Pyrogen initiated cumbustible high velocity expanding gas and flame generator thingy

Me: Boom-with-style apparatus

I normally call them "motors", but "whoosh tubes" is so much fun I can't let it go to waste.

Thrust Inducing Flatulence From Tubular storage Device

I fear I'm stretching it a bit here:

Electrically eNflamed Go Inducing Newton Ejector?

Mass Object Throwing Observable Reaction?

Last edited:
Why not "Turboencabulator"?

This video should explain nicely.
[video=youtube;Ac7G7xOG2Ag]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag[/video]

Indianapolis Engine Speedway

Enginetrend Magazine

Enginecycle

Engineing Along

Engine Mouth

Engped

Engine City

Engineola

Ford Engine Co.

Enginehome.

What about the “Redundant Department: Of Redundant Redundancy”?

All of which is incredibly redundant.

There is a startling amount of redundancy on this page, which has a lot of redundancy on it!

Did I mention redundancy?

Someone should contact the USDRD before someone gets hurt.

There is a startling amount of redundancy on this page, which has a lot of redundancy on it!

Did I mention redundancy?

Someone should contact the USDRD before someone gets hurt.

Don't worry, the USDRD is monitoring this thread and all threads, as are the NSA, CIA, FBI, ATF, TSA, DHS and of course the RDRR. Unfortunately none of them share info so internet access times may be painfully slow during peak spying hours. Please submit all FOIA requests between the hours of 11 PM and 3 AM for easiest navigation and allow two years to never for them to get back to you. YMMV

Internal Combustion Engine uses a Starter Motor.

An electric motor is never called an "engine". This includes regular rotating electric motors as well as transverse linear motors.

Engines have moving parts to generate their output force (turbines or pistons, etc.), while motors have no moving mechanical parts to create the output force. Electric motors and solid rocket motors create a force and the reaction imparts motion.
That's exactly the reasoning and analogy I've always thought was behind it. Solid rocket MOTORS, turbo-pump driven liquid fueled rocket ENGINES. I even recall seeing an official statement of that reasoning in some authoritative text many years ago. However, people who didn't know that line of reasoning used the terms interchangeably and established the precedents that eventually lead to a question like the one from the OP.

Since this has become so productive and my kids love watching Phineas and Fetb I should call them Rocket Movenators.

Latest posts

Back