New to tracking

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berlinetta

Reaction score
I've been looking at different GPS trackers. Looked at the BRB900, T3 System, and Eggfinder. I'm leaning towards the T3 system. I was wondering where I could mount the transmitter as the rocket the tracker would be for has a black nosecone? I'm guessing I cannot mount it to the opposite side from my dual altimers an batteries. Are there other trackers out there aside from the three I mentioned that do not require a ham license?

Hi Peter,
I would highly recommend you also take a look at the Featherweight GPS system. It does not require HAM. It is also feature-packed and is being actively worked on by @Adrian A
https://www.featherweightaltimeters.com/featherweight-gps-tracker.html

Could you clarify you question, what do you mean by "black" nosecone? Just painted black, or is it carbon fiber? If it's just painted black, I wouldn't worry about any RF/GPS signal loss. Carbon Fiber is a different story. However, I don't know that many CF nosecones. Most are fiberglass so that they are RF transparent for trackers, as it is a common place to put them.

You will get various answers with regards to the placement of trackers. Ideally you want to place them such that there are no obstructions like threaded rod and batteries. However, people do it all the time. The best practice is to range test on the ground.

Hi Peter,
I would highly recommend you also take a look at the Featherweight GPS system. It does not require HAM. It is also feature-packed and is being actively worked on by @Adrian A
https://www.featherweightaltimeters.com/featherweight-gps-tracker.html

Could you clarify you question, what do you mean by "black" nosecone? Just painted black, or is it carbon fiber? If it's just painted black, I wouldn't worry about any RF/GPS signal loss. Carbon Fiber is a different story. However, I don't know that many CF nosecones. Most are fiberglass so that they are RF transparent for trackers, as it is a common place to put them.

You will get various answers with regards to the placement of trackers. Ideally you want to place them such that there are no obstructions like threaded rod and batteries. However, people do it all the time. The best practice is to range test on the ground.
The nosecone is painted black. I fully expect various answers from everyone.

As long as your nose cone is not made of carbon fiber it's going to be fine, probably 90% of my rockets have black nose cones. Metal tips and/or bulkplates are not an issue either, as long as the antenna is mounted on the long axis of the rocket and the antenna is at least 3" away from them. That's pretty much going to be the case for any nose cone with a metal tip... they're typically seen on 3" or larger diameter tubes, so they're at least 12" long + the shoulder.

I've been looking at different GPS trackers. Looked at the BRB900, T3 System, and Eggfinder. I'm leaning towards the T3 system. I was wondering where I could mount the transmitter as the rocket the tracker would be for has a black nosecone? I'm guessing I cannot mount it to the opposite side from my dual altimers an batteries. Are there other trackers out there aside from the three I mentioned that do not require a ham license?

Nosecone color doesn't matter - the materials it's made of do. If it's carbon fiber, it'll block the signal. If it's colored fiberglass, you're fine.

As far as the GPS antenna goes, just don't put anything between it and the side of the airframe and you're fine. Your idea of mounting it opposite of the altimeters/batteries will work just fine.

As far as the ham license goes, attaining the required license is about as difficult as passing a Level 2 exam.

-Kevin

As far as the ham license goes, attaining the required license is about as difficult as passing a Level 2 exam.

-Kevin

Just take a practice test once a day for a week or two and you will know the answers even if you just start out guessing first since they let you pick until you get the right one.

Pick the Tech test --

https://www.qrz.com/hamtest/

Would the all thread interfere?
Nosecone color doesn't matter - the materials it's made of do. If it's carbon fiber, it'll block the signal. If it's colored fiberglass, you're fine.

As far as the GPS antenna goes, just don't put anything between it and the side of the airframe and you're fine. Your idea of mounting it opposite of the altimeters/batteries will work just fine.

-Kevin

Yes, though it'll also interfere a bit with the transmitter that's sending the GPS coordinates to you.

That said, unless you put the allthread in front of or right next to either, or you're going to a super high altitude, it's nothing to worry about.

I used to fly Big Red Bee, and never had a problem with the allthread in the avbay mucking with my tracking.

-Kevin

-Kevin
Yes, though it'll also interfere a bit with the transmitter that's sending the GPS coordinates to you.

That said, unless you put the allthread in front of or right next to either, or you're going to a super high altitude, it's nothing to worry about.

I used to fly Big Red Bee, and never had a problem with the allthread in the avbay mucking with my tracking.

-Kevin
The all thread are on the same side as the altimeters and their batteries. I'm looking at approximately 9100 feet on a M1297. Another rocketeer is putting his tracker in my rocket for the flight.

The all thread are on the same side as the altimeters and their batteries. I'm looking at approximately 9100 feet on a M1297. Another rocketeer is putting his tracker in my rocket for the flight.

9100 feet is absolutely not an issue with what you're planning to do. Add a zero to that, and av bay layout might become more important.

-Kevin

9100 feet is absolutely not an issue with what you're planning to do. Add a zero to that, and av bay layout might become more important.

-Kevin
Kevin, and everyone else, thank you for your input.

-Kevin

Just take a practice test once a day for a week or two and you will know the answers even if you just start out guessing first since they let you pick until you get the right one.

Maybe so, but why bother jumping through another hoop for a ham license when it is not necessary? The most popular GPS trackers are license-free, highly capable, and on the cutting edge.

I can attest to the use of the BRB900 ......

Among other flights that turned out didn't ever loose sight of....
I did use it on my LVL2 flight. Landed in the trees a mile away and The BRB900 took us RIGHT to it !!

-Kevin
To confirm Kevin’s point, I’ve flown to well over 20,000’ many times with my Featherweight tracker antenna along side a piece of aluminum all thread. I had no trouble tracking and recovering my flights.

Tony

Maybe so, but why bother jumping through another hoop for a ham license when it is not necessary? The most popular GPS trackers are license-free, highly capable, and on the cutting edge.

When it is necessary: Tracking really little rockets really out of sight. The smallest transmitters are HAM-based, meant for falconry. ~3 grams with antenna and battery. But EFM can fit in tube slightly larger than BT-20, and is way cheaper and easier to use.

When it is necessary: Tracking really little rockets really out of sight. The smallest transmitters are HAM-based, meant for falconry. ~3 grams with antenna and battery. But EFM can fit in tube slightly larger than BT-20, and is way cheaper and easier to use.
Good point. I don't think the OP is in this situation, though.

I have two Featherweight trackers and 2 Blue ravens. They all use Android now. I use them on my Tracfone.
Packed full of features and super user friendly. Like I said - I use them on my Tracfone.

Which non-license-free trackers do you recommend?

Non-License-Free means needs a Ham License.

I recommend the Big Red Bee. I have both the 440mhz and 2 meter boards. I also have 2-3 of their RDF 440mhz boards for FM beeping RDF Trackers. I also have a 220mhz small tracker I need to test out yet. Bought it here on TRF about 6 weeks ago at a good price. They still are selling them.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/custom-comspec-receiver-compatible-beacons.183577/

I have a Kenwood Ham HT radio that picks up 220mhz in FM/SSB/CW for Receive.

Last edited:
I have heard of AirTags being used with model rockets flown around high grass or crops.... you have to know "about" where it landed though, so if it goes out of sight (like it probably would with HPR) then they're not very useful.

As already mentioned, Featherweight, EggFinder, MissileWorks T3, BRB900. I would guess the first two combined hold a majority of the model rocket market. Fluctus looks interesting. If you want to go crazy, and money is no object, then Kate-3.
Second for Eggfinder. The mini works great. Easy to build in an hour or two. I have several of them. I also have a HAM license so on bigger projects I run an EF mini in the nose (or somewhere a "safe" distance away from the av-bay) and then stick my 70cm stuff in the avbay.

Latest posts

Back