Motor Retention Using Only Centering Rings?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyAwaySam

Reaction score
Hello!

Here is a system that I heard at a launch:

Have centering rings that adapt from the body tube diameter to the motor casing diameter. Tape the centering rings to the motor and have the ring that touches the motor's thrust ring be stepped so that way it can sit on the edge of the body tube. Then secure it to a minimum diameter screw assembly similar in set up to in Jim Jarvis' NARCON 2021 video.

While this sounds find, would this set up work for any motor even if the motor does options for a threaded forward closure (such as a motor with motor ejection)? I have yet to see a set up in person or online so some insights would be nice for the set up.

Thank you!

The approach that I use is illustrated in the pictures. One ring serves as a centering ring and thrust plate and the second ring is just a centering ring. You don't need a motor tube for rockets that have surface-mounted fins, and if there is a motor tube, you don't need a second one to adapt down.

This method could be employed with forward retention or a motor retainer. The idea is to reduce weight (and cost).

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_2821.JPG
    IMG_2821.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2822.JPG
    IMG_2822.JPG
  • IMG_2823.JPG
    IMG_2823.JPG
The approach that I use is illustrated in the pictures. One ring serves as a centering ring and thrust plate and the second ring is just a centering ring. You don't need a motor tube for rockets that have surface-mounted fins, and if there is a motor tube, you don't need a second one to adapt down.

This method could be employed with forward retention or a motor retainer. The idea is to reduce weight (and cost).

Jim
Thank you!

Back