(modified) RW Mongoose 29 - 29mm MD "Altitude Seeker": 16,000' & mach 2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Infinite. Seriously.

But, you cannot design one aspect of a rocket while ignoring other aspects. If it is a long needle, where is the motor going to go? How can you make it structurally strong enough? Rocket design is a compromise.

Gerald

With the help of a little heater, I was able to get all four sets of fillets done yesterday. They came out O.K., good enough since they will be sanded down anyway. Going from bare parts (fins, airframe, and coupler) to all glued up only added 5.06g! After sanding that will probably drop ~0.5g. Full up (minus parachute and charges) I'm at 195.93g (6.91oz) - right were I expected and want to be! :)

I'm definitely feeling better about the stability now - the fins don't look as crazy small attached to the short rocket, and with the nose-weight it is amazingly front heavy. It sure does look fast :smile:

sweet! can't wait to see it go up! I have a 29mm mongoose DD on the way and I'm also building a FG 29mm MD with 1mm carbon fins.

Most wheel weights now are zinc or steel.

And Tire stores don't just give them away anymore (unless you happen to know someone), part of that Hazardous Waste Disposal fee that you have to pay, then they sell them to a recycler.

One thing that I wanted to ask is how you can get the right results. Let's say if I wanted to get my rocket to go as high as possible, then what length:diameter ratio could I expect to get the right results?

EDIT:Sorry for hijacking the thread Rockethunter.

No problem! This is nothing, you should have seen the last MD thread I did - like 3 full pages of people arguing about stability calculations at mach+ speeds :lol::facepalm:

For me its usually whats available - i.e. the common 5:1 length:diameter ratio that most of the FWFG cones are. I haven't made any of my own NC's yet simply because (a) I can't make them out of CF because of the trackers, so it has to be FG anyway (b) they're cheap, and the smooth insides and removable couplers are better quality than I could easily get (c) the thin-wall versions are already pretty light and less crazy-overkill. Doing one myself would be a lot of work for not very much gain. I was close to breaking down and making a 29mm one, but then RW put on sale the mongoose with its FWFG nose cone and it was problem solved ;)

If I was designing my own, I would probably size them to be at least 3:1 for drag reasons (less than that I think is measurably less efficient), and build it however much longer than that as dictated by either the electronics/antennas I needed to fit in there, or like in this build, recovery stuff. On the high end I probably wouldn't go past 8:1, as it starts to get long and heavy without (I think) much gain in performance or useable internal volume.

sweet! can't wait to see it go up! I have a 29mm mongoose DD on the way and I'm also building a FG 29mm MD with 1mm carbon fins.

Cool! I think a lot of people jumped on the mongoose 29! Based upon my last 29mm MD which was very similar in exterior form/mass to a stock mongoose 29 (except with a draggy conical NC) that got just under 10,000', I think a nicely finished, stock mongoose 29 should be capable of ~11,000 given a nice day and straight flight. Something about putting a rocket 2(+) miles up on (comparatively) inexpensive 29mm motors is just so awesome :smile:

The only real negative I see is that the four-fin design will weigh more. I would only see this mattering though for much larger (M,N,O) MD's where the optimal mass is effectively as light as you can make it.
Are you sure about the weight, even? How much is the span reduced? If it's cut down by a quarter, then the mass wouldn't have changed. Alternatively, reduce all dimensions by about 13% (1-sqrt(3/4) = 0.134) and the mass will be the same with less reduction in span. (I would have thought fin area would be more important than span, that's what the simple physics says, but I keep reading more experienced folks than I who state that span is the important figure, at least when it comes to minor adjustments. Obviously, a needle with a long span is not a good fin.)

Are you sure about the weight, even? How much is the span reduced? If it's cut down by a quarter, then the mass wouldn't have changed. Alternatively, reduce all dimensions by about 13% (1-sqrt(3/4) = 0.134) and the mass will be the same with less reduction in span. (I would have thought fin area would be more important than span, that's what the simple physics says, but I keep reading more experienced folks than I who state that span is the important figure, at least when it comes to minor adjustments. Obviously, a needle with a long span is not a good fin.)

If the root length stays the same, won't there be additional weight from the extra set of fillets? It might not be much, but I could see how that would make four fins weigh more.

I got my lead from a local firing range for free. I had to use a metal detector, but it was free.

If the root length stays the same, won't there be additional weight from the extra set of fillets? It might not be much, but I could see how that would make four fins weigh more.
Yeah, there is that, which is one reason that scaling down all the dimensions helps a bit. But what I'm asking about is this: scale down the fins (either in one dimension or both) so that four smaller ones weigh the same as three larger ones, will you get the same or lower CP as with the three? If not, then going to four does indeed add weight, and the extra filleting makes matters even worse. But if so, then subtleties like the fillets come into play. Has Rocket Chaser, who brought up the weight difference, tried it or is the increase in weight an unchecked assumption. I'm not trying to suggest which is the case, I'm just asking. I would try it in RockSim myself, but I'm at work; perhaps I'll try it tonight.

No problem! This is nothing, you should have seen the last MD thread I did - like 3 full pages of people arguing about stability calculations at mach+ speeds :lol::facepalm:

For me its usually whats available - i.e. the common 5:1 length:diameter ratio that most of the FWFG cones are. I haven't made any of my own NC's yet simply because (a) I can't make them out of CF because of the trackers, so it has to be FG anyway (b) they're cheap, and the smooth insides and removable couplers are better quality than I could easily get (c) the thin-wall versions are already pretty light and less crazy-overkill. Doing one myself would be a lot of work for not very much gain. I was close to breaking down and making a 29mm one, but then RW put on sale the mongoose with its FWFG nose cone and it was problem solved ;)

If I was designing my own, I would probably size them to be at least 3:1 for drag reasons (less than that I think is measurably less efficient), and build it however much longer than that as dictated by either the electronics/antennas I needed to fit in there, or like in this build, recovery stuff. On the high end I probably wouldn't go past 8:1, as it starts to get long and heavy without (I think) much gain in performance or useable internal volume.

Cool! I think a lot of people jumped on the mongoose 29! Based upon my last 29mm MD which was very similar in exterior form/mass to a stock mongoose 29 (except with a draggy conical NC) that got just under 10,000', I think a nicely finished, stock mongoose 29 should be capable of ~11,000 given a nice day and straight flight. Something about putting a rocket 2(+) miles up on (comparatively) inexpensive 29mm motors is just so awesome :smile:

BTW, what other MD threads do you have? I really enjoy reading through your posts, and I was only able to find one other of your MD threads.

Very cool thread, definitely subscribed. It would seem you've figured out the configuration of my 38mm MD that you asked about. Parachute/shock cord in NC, tracker right below that, flight computer below that, and motor sitting directly below that. Result: zero empty space, gives a lot of room to work with when trying to hit optimal mass, just doesn't give a whole lot of room volume wise. ;)

I like the idea of four fins. I feel it would be better for the performance of the rocket. You gain stability in the individual fin without sacrificing stability of the vehicle itself. I have a 54mm version of my 38mm MD that's not really optimized (made of fiberglass with a heavy FWFG NC), that was made more of a proof of concept than a record attempting rocket. I think when I build a heavily optimized version it will have four fins. I'll play around with it for a bit and fly the less optimized version in the mean time.

Yeah, there is that, which is one reason that scaling down all the dimensions helps a bit. But what I'm asking about is this: scale down the fins (either in one dimension or both) so that four smaller ones weigh the same as three larger ones, will you get the same or lower CP as with the three? If not, then going to four does indeed add weight, and the extra filleting makes matters even worse. But if so, then subtleties like the fillets come into play. Has Rocket Chaser, who brought up the weight difference, tried it or is the increase in weight an unchecked assumption. I'm not trying to suggest which is the case, I'm just asking. I would try it in RockSim myself, but I'm at work; perhaps I'll try it tonight.

The increase in weight was just a guess/generalization I made, it is definitely true however if only span is changed for my triangular fins. If the whole fin is scaled, then idk. One of the things I'm never 100% sure on is fin surface area - two different sets of fins may create the same stability margin for a rocket but could have wildly different SA's and weights - is the larger fin with more surface area a "better fin" as it has a larger area to correct with, despite it creating the same initial stability margin? My fins have a 3'' root - OR calculates a 1.5" root having a better stability margin, even though the SA is much smaller. Would this really be a better fin? I don't really know.

Definitely worth a bit more experimenting! I had just seen a lot of places listing 3 fins as more high-performance and aerodynamic than 4 fins, and given their popularity in many of the current HPR rocket kit offerings, I found it odd that there wasn't any real explanation for why, and that based on OR sims there wasn't much of a difference.

BTW, what other MD threads do you have? I really enjoy reading through your posts, and I was only able to find one other of your MD threads.

Thank you! I love living vicariously through others cool projects, so I'm just trying to return the favor a bit :eek: I don't have many, but here's a few. I'm not always the best about finishing them though :lol::

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?69248-I540-to-Mach-2-38mm-Flying-Case

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?59665-The-Pink-Panther-29mm-Min-Diameter

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-38-Build-Thread&highlight=blackhawk+38+stage

Very cool thread, definitely subscribed. It would seem you've figured out the configuration of my 38mm MD that you asked about. Parachute/shock cord in NC, tracker right below that, flight computer below that, and motor sitting directly below that. Result: zero empty space, gives a lot of room to work with when trying to hit optimal mass, just doesn't give a whole lot of room volume wise. ;)

I like the idea of four fins. I feel it would be better for the performance of the rocket. You gain stability in the individual fin without sacrificing stability of the vehicle itself. I have a 54mm version of my 38mm MD that's not really optimized (made of fiberglass with a heavy FWFG NC), that was made more of a proof of concept than a record attempting rocket. I think when I build a heavily optimized version it will have four fins. I'll play around with it for a bit and fly the less optimized version in the mean time.

Thank you! Yeah I think there's probably less than a cubic inch of airspace in this rocket - I got the 'chutes in today, and confirmed everything actually fits somehow :smile: There's always that moment where you know everything should work from plans and simulations, but you never really know for sure until you physically put everything together.

An optimized 54mm would be awesome, you could get some crazy altitudes out of that i expect! The nice thing about the larger size MD's is that the volume goes up, but the electronics stay the same size :) I think for my next project I may revert back to the ultra-light flying case, with a K1440 I think I could get to ~M3.2 ;)

What kind of recovery walk do you expect with something like this?

My last 29mm MD was also single deploy, and on a nice calm day it apogee'd at ~10,000 at what I would guess was around 500-700' down wind, and then drifted to land about a half mile away from the launch pad. For this one I'm expecting a 1/2 to 1 mile walk :shock:

Thank you! Yeah I think there's probably less than a cubic inch of airspace in this rocket - I got the 'chutes in today, and confirmed everything actually fits somehow :smile: There's always that moment where you know everything should work from plans and simulations, but you never really know for sure until you physically put everything together.

An optimized 54mm would be awesome, you could get some crazy altitudes out of that i expect! The nice thing about the larger size MD's is that the volume goes up, but the electronics stay the same size :) I think for my next project I may revert back to the ultra-light flying case, with a K1440 I think I could get to ~M3.2 ;)

Yeah less than a cubic inch is about the same as my 38mm. I actually have to add mass to it so it will be at optimal weight. When I had the nosecone, the first thing I did was test for the parachute, shock cord, and nomex into it. To my delight, it all fit nicely.

Yeah I was thinking something along the lines of a flying case. That way I can fit a bunch of cases while keeping to the zero empty space. The K1440 is high on my list of motors that need to be flown in it. Although I'm going to head out west, or north before I can fly something like that. I'd love to get the Loki K2050 into something like that too (Mach 4 potential????)

Yeah less than a cubic inch is about the same as my 38mm. I actually have to add mass to it so it will be at optimal weight. When I had the nosecone, the first thing I did was test for the parachute, shock cord, and nomex into it. To my delight, it all fit nicely.

Yeah I was thinking something along the lines of a flying case. That way I can fit a bunch of cases while keeping to the zero empty space. The K1440 is high on my list of motors that need to be flown in it. Although I'm going to head out west, or north before I can fly something like that. I'd love to get the Loki K2050 into something like that too (Mach 4 potential????)

Yeah I was impressed with how light yours came out; my flying case was just a hair heavier, the AIM XTRA is nice but the unit itself and the battery to power it adds a lot of weight and uses up a lot of volume.

My dream rocket is a two stage MD with a Loki L2050 booster and a K1127 sustainer (or the soon-to-be-released red equivalents) - with a long (10+ sec) staging delay upwards of M3.5, and with a short or no delay up to mach 4.5 could be possible. Would be insanely difficult, but insanely awesome! Optimized for altitude I bet it could clear 75K @ blackrock :)

@Rockethunter Nice! If you upscale this to 38 mm and use a I216 you might be able to set a record.

BTW, I noticed that your finish in OR is set to "polished". If you set it to regular, the altitude decreases to ~12000 ft.

Last edited:
@Rockethunter Nice! If you upscale this to 38 mm and use a I216 you might be able to set a record.

BTW, I noticed that your finish in OR is set to "polished". If you set it to regular, the altitude decreases to ~12000 ft.

Actually I should be able to set the I record with this - the TRA I motor record currently sits at only 10k and change. In regards to the finish, it seems to vary. With the flying cases despite them actually being polished they got no where near their expected altitude. On the other hand, my last 29mm MD (regular design) was not polished but went higher than even "polished" predicted! So we'll see, I'm optimistic ;)

Actually I should be able to set the I record with this - the TRA I motor record currently sits at only 10k and change. In regards to the finish, it seems to vary. With the flying cases despite them actually being polished they got no where near their expected altitude. On the other hand, my last 29mm MD (regular design) was not polished but went higher than even "polished" predicted! So we'll see, I'm optimistic ;)

I thought Adrian Adamson flew to 17,000 ft with his 38 mm MD?

I thought Adrian Adamson flew to 17,000 ft with his 38 mm MD?

Yup, I think maybe even 18,000+ with an I216. I could never beat that, mostly because he flew at ~5,000' MSL or so which gives about a 13% increase in altitude vs. where I fly at near sea level - which is a very huge gain when it comes to these optimized record attempts, and his flights were already nearly perfectly optimized so there isn't much to do better on that front. But for whatever reason he never registered/did the paperwork to officially get the record. My flight wouldn't be the highest someone has ever flown with an I motor, but it would 'technically' hold the record on the TRA website: https://www.tripoli.org/Records/Commercial-I-Records

Yup, I think maybe even 18,000+ with an I216. I could never beat that, mostly because he flew at ~5,000' MSL or so which gives about a 13% increase in altitude vs. where I fly at near sea level - which is a very huge gain when it comes to these optimized record attempts, and his flights were already nearly perfectly optimized so there isn't much to do better on that front. But for whatever reason he never registered/did the paperwork to officially get the record. My flight wouldn't be the highest someone has ever flown with an I motor, but it would 'technically' hold the record on the TRA website: https://www.tripoli.org/Records/Commercial-I-Records

It still should be an awesome flight. Can't wait to see it fly! :D

Just found something interesting. If you scale the rocket down to 24 mm and put a G150 BS in it, it breaks 11K ft. So a downscaled version of this rocket could set a G motor record.

Just found something interesting. If you scale the rocket down to 24 mm and put a G150 BS in it, it breaks 11K ft. So a downscaled version of this rocket could set a G motor record.

Cool! The G150 isn't even a full G, so if CTI actually comes out with some 24mm 6GXl or 8 grain motors like they hinted at, maybe even higher would be possible!

Yeah I was impressed with how light yours came out; my flying case was just a hair heavier, the AIM XTRA is nice but the unit itself and the battery to power it adds a lot of weight and uses up a lot of volume.

My dream rocket is a two stage MD with a Loki L2050 booster and a K1127 sustainer (or the soon-to-be-released red equivalents) - with a long (10+ sec) staging delay upwards of M3.5, and with a short or no delay up to mach 4.5 could be possible. Would be insanely difficult, but insanely awesome! Optimized for altitude I bet it could clear 75K @ blackrock :)

That's why with mine I use a Raven 3 and a comspec radio tracker. Once I get the small version of the tracker, I'll be able to shorten the airframe just a bit more.

A L2050 to a K1127 would be EPIC. I've been dabbling in two stage rockets recently (currently working on a 3" K1440 to L265, 99% L tot. impulse), but nothing MD yet.

Hey Coleman,

I have been following this thread, you are becoming one of the more experienced MD fliers on the East coast and this new rocket looks like another winner. It would be nice if you achieved an altitude record with it. I hope your schooling is going well and hopefully we will see each other at an upstate NY launch in 2016.

The ISP on the mellow is so low that it's unlikely to set any records.

It just depends on what the other offerings are. If the other 8G's are baby H's, and the mellow a full G, then it probably will be the best motor for a G altitude attempt. If there are higher ISP propellants sized at a full G, then maybe not.

That's why with mine I use a Raven 3 and a comspec radio tracker. Once I get the small version of the tracker, I'll be able to shorten the airframe just a bit more.

A L2050 to a K1127 would be EPIC. I've been dabbling in two stage rockets recently (currently working on a 3" K1440 to L265, 99% L tot. impulse), but nothing MD yet.

Yeah with acess to a big fancy machine shop soon, I'm dreaming of perfect-fitting and designed inter-stages and fin canisters, and maybe a custom casing/NC for the 38/1200 to make it a true 1.5" OD minimum diameter :drool:

Wow, sounds like a very cool 2-stage, how high does that sim to? :)

Hey Coleman,

I have been following this thread, you are becoming one of the more experienced MD fliers on the East coast and this new rocket looks like another winner. It would be nice if you achieved an altitude record with it. I hope your schooling is going well and hopefully we will see each other at an upstate NY launch in 2016.

Thanks Mike! Schools been amazing, trying not to think about finals in the coming weeks though :y: Definitely planning some trips up there this summer, hopefully we'll get to chat and see a couple of your always spectacular flights! I'm still in awe at the performance and coolness of that K830 Spitfire flight! Got any cool projects in the works? :smile:

Thanks Mike! Schools been amazing, trying not to think about finals in the coming weeks though :y: Definitely planning some trips up there this summer, hopefully we'll get to chat and see a couple of your always spectacular flights! I'm still in awe at the performance and coolness of that K830 Spitfire flight! Got any cool projects in the works? :smile:

I am glad, and not surprised school is going well for you. I agree that K830 SpitFire is a must fly again. It really exceeded my expectations, not only in the visual and sound effects, but it performed way beyond what I was expecting. I am hoping some others like Dave and Riley got the bug on that one and will build something that can house the 54/2800 hardware.

As for cool projects. I have a bunch of projects on the go, most are just finishing off or getting through the build pile. However there are two that are pretty cool but longer term projects. One is an upscale based on an 8" airframe, the other is a scratch 4" carbon MD build, which will be by far my biggest challenge to date. More on them when the time is appropriate though.

Back