MIT Rocket Team Hermes Flight

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggplant

L3 | NAR 93664, TRA 17791
Reaction score
I was the vice president of the MIT Rocket Team this past year, during which time we worked on our largest rocket yet. In one year we characterized a new propellant, fired our first successful 4" motor and a series of 6" motors, laid up our first carbon fiber fin can, and developed a dual deploy recovery system inspired by the piston design used by Derek Deville. We put these technologies together into a 6" diameter, 120lb rocket that flew to 32,000' and recovered successfully out at FAR in California.

Hermes_up.jpg

The only thing that didn't work was the onboard camera, so the video is much less exciting than we had hoped. We plan to fix that and fly much higher this year.

I wanted to thank the TRF community (especially in the research section!) for helping our team members rapidly get up to speed on advanced amateur rocketry techniques. We definitely would not have been about to put together this project so quickly without the help of this forum.

That was a great flight you had. Here are a couple more pictures I took of Hermes I :DSC_0085 loading MIT rocket.jpg loading the rocket into the FAR 20' tower (accepts rockets 4-12" in diameter)

DSC_0104.JPG at the launch table next to one of the twelve FAR bunkers.

Great Job!
Can you describe the piston system or provide pictures of the build?

Thanks!

Most of the information about the recovery system is on this page. If you look around on the wiki linked there, you can read about the other subsystems as well.

Back