MicroMaxx Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See what you started,

I knew that would keep John busy for awhile! LOL

A few a my "little gems"

My Competitor 4 downscale scratch build with the Tiny Triskileon Fliskits[ didn't realize it till I saw the pic.... it's on the deed to my house! LOL]

Diminutive Deuce. Fliskits

HemV-4 . Fliskits

100_2279.jpg

100_2280.jpg

100_3696.jpg

100_3608_2.jpg

Last edited:
Down scale Mongoose minimum diameter.

This one screams off the pad! Scratch build.

100_3806.jpg

100_3810.jpg

Last edited:
my brick collection....it's a start.

I just ordered 3 micro models from FlisKits

micromaxx.jpg

Last edited:
Yeap....this'll keep me busy for weeks LOL!!!
KEWL micor Mongoose Blackjack is that truely Minimum diameter (T2+ tubing). or T3 (.375")?

Next in my fleet Another Micro Downscale of an Old Darkages favorite the Centuri "Point" Cardstock aeroshould chute recovery model.
Down-scaling this one was just plain fun LOL! went with 67lb cardstock for the aeroshroud wrap and internal skirt parts. a little white glue and a very short piece of T2+ motor mount tubing and slip-on motor retainer ring. flys pretty well and recovers just like it's larger original size model.
A fun build.

MM 232b2-sm_the Point_End of Flight_07-07-01.jpg

The next two downscales are also Old time favorites The Goblin and Der Red Max.
while cutting parts and happily building away I completely forgot that Der Red Max was a 3 fin model. building both with four fins. HUMM! I thought went I realized my mistake. will that'll give me two more surfaces for micro funny decals so I didn't change it on the origninal Red and Black paint scheme version. Both flew just fine with four 1/16" basswood fins. In T4 (.448") body diameter size.

MM 233d4-sm_Goblin 0n Pad_12-13-03.jpg

MM 234a-sm_DerRedMax-4fin_09-15-00.jpg

MM 234a-sm-lp01b_DerRedMax_At-Ejection-07-07-01.jpg

A couple years later Fred and I decided to build working Launchers for our Camo painted DRM varients from the b&w photo on the back of the original kit's instruction sheets with the intention of both of us flying them at Naram-46 Which we did.
My Micro models were both 3fin versions one in Summer Camouflage the other in winter Camo colors. Either to be able to fly from the Scaled Diorama launcher/display stand.
Both models and launcher remain in use as are great attention getters at our sport launchers. Always fun flying from this diorama.

MM 234b_& c_Der Red Camo Max's_03-03-04.jpg

MM 234b3a-sm_Winter Camo 1st flt on Scene_05-29-04.jpg

MM 234b5a05_MM DerRedMax sum-camo on pad(128dpi)_07-15-06.jpg

MM 234c-LP15a_Hookin her UP_11-16-08.jpg

KEWL micor Mongoose Blackjack is that truely Minimum diameter (T2+ tubing). or T3 (.375")?

Yep er ree! It's T-2 & a motor block. I remembered THIS time. Gone in 60 nano seconds. I've been real lucky so far. Bright orange & a sod farm with well trimmed golf course grass [bent for the greens], have made it FAIRLY easy to find. This is THE place for flyng micro's.

Well it was, probably jinxed it by that statement.

Winter is here, got a whole box of Flis stuff to build!

Yep er ree! It's T-2 & a motor block. I remembered THIS time. Gone in 60 nano seconds. I've been real lucky so far. Bright orange & a sod farm with well trimmed golf course grass [bent for the greens], have made it FAIRLY easy to find. This is THE place for flyng micro's.

Well it was, probably jinxed it by that statement.

Winter is here, got a whole box of Flis stuff to build!

Well I hope you didn't Jinx it's next flight! a very Slippery looking micro model:)

Back to Fleet Photos. Next downscale was another classic favorite and Laser-X Rival estes Mars snooper. Still being pretty early in the downscaling this one truned out to be a bit of a Piggy tipping the scales at 15.1g giving a liftoff mass of 16.2g even the MMX-II's have a hard time getting her much over 25fee. but what did I expect with 7 nosecones and a basswood transition? No it's not pink...it's some off brand "True Red" spary enamel I had the better 2/3rds pick up at micheals while she was there. it's an interesting color that just doesn't photograph well. If I do another it'll be downsized another body tube size to lighten the load a bit. I'd also go with all balsa nosecones and lighter 67llb cardstock for the base transition parts.

MM 235b1_Mars Snooper_Mid-Flight_07-07-01.jpg

MM 235b2_Mars Snooper_After Arc-Over_07-07-01.jpg

A much better flying Downscale was the Minimum dia. T2+ Micor Nova Payloader. which SCREAMS off the pad on either MMX-I or MMX-II motors.
while the payload sections is a bit on the heavy size it was just long enough to accept one of those 1" fishing cylume sticks after drilling a recess hole in both the basswood Nosecone and Shoulder. It is one of my Nite Flying Micro fleet.

Another Old timer downscale, Night flying, payloader is the 10.5mm X-Ray. this one's payload bay designed again with a recess in NC & Shoulder/transition to center a 1" fishing Cylume for night flights. It's also on the rack in the previous posts night flying rack photo.

Looking to do everything in Micro Rocketry was are doing with standard size model rockets my first attempts at staging were with two all time favorites the Warp-II and Hercules 2 stage.

Built together I did finish the Warp-II first so it gets top billing. It's full size brother was one of my very frist Night flight conversions so I thought it fitting to attempt to build the Micro Warp-II with that same feature in mind.
To this end I chose to make the Payload section 10.5mm using a PRATT Hobbies vacuum formed Super light weight styrene nosecone without the shoulder and a short length of .444" OD, .40" ID clear Polyethylene mailing tube. while these to materials don't match up perfectly they were close enough to make the project work well. I designed an LED battery system to fit this combination with a 10mm 12000 mcd led and tiny 10mm 3V lithium battery holder that just slips into the payload section lighting the NC a bright orange. Turned Basswood transition to the minimum diameter T2+ main body which had to be extended an inch or so to have room for the required recovery system.

Micro Hercules on the other hand had a Straight T2+ body/payload configuration using a slightly larger then T2+ clear Polyethylene payload tube.
I did use Basswood on the fins for both models and this has proven over time to be a good choice helping to keep the Hurcules fins from warping as it's full size brothers have over time.

Both models were tape together motor configs which proved over test flights to NOT be the most reliable method. through experiments with several configruations with and without ejection it was determined leaving the motors untaped increased the upper stage ignition reliablilty considerably. When these two models are replaced they will be slightly Upscaled to either T2++ or T3 main body tubing to allow Gap Stage Venting back thru the centering rings and perhaps a slight side vent holds at the stage joint.
Both are really fun flying models single or two staged.

MM 239b1-sm_Hercules-2Stage_MidFlight_07-07-01.jpg

One of those Gotta have it kts back in the Day was the Skydart. it was just a majestic flying machine.
In the 80's I wanted to clone it and did, Painted it silver and have flown it pretty much to death.... I REALLY wanted to do a micro version.

Again we're talking 11 years ago when this project was undertaken... I decided we'ed try it in 10.5mm to give room for the T2+ internal pop-pod to house a wrapped drycleaner bag chute. I also decided to try to use .063" styrene for the wing & tail to reduce the amount of finishing needed...OH man this was a HUGE mistake. When all was said and built the model tipped the scales at a Wopping 20.6g add the motor and we were at 21.7g.
Needless to say the model just barely made it off the end of a 12" launch rod:( DEEEEE-RATTS!
Wasn't until 2006 when the OOP motors program came into being that I got a chance to actually fly this model successfully. Adding a 10.5mm Booster for some of my old Apogee 10.5mm A2-0 motors it finally flew, and glided just like it was intended.
During this process I also tried again building another this time using foamcore as the wing/tail but alas at 10.5mm it's just too darn heavy. this one was mated to a 13mm booster with some old A3-0T and A10-0T boosters for some really interesting flights.
I haven't completely given up I have an All Cardstock model in T3 designed just haven't gotten to build it to see if it'll boost by itself or maybe I'll design a 2 or 3 motor booster for the MMX-II-NE's.

MM 240a3-sm_T4 SkyDart & T4 Booster_09-07-06.jpg

MM 240a3_Boosted SkyDart Liftoff A2-0_09-16-06.jpg

MM 240p02c_Booster Staged 13-6mm MMSkydart2pic_09-06-06.jpg

This one is for the Better 2/3rds: She's a beach fan and Assateague/Chincoteague is were we generally spend our vacations. Nothing better then spending an evening sitting out on the screened porch, eating crabs, and watching the Lighthouse revolve LOL!
Mostly Cardstock this model has a T4 core and .030" clear Polycarbonate fins. A custom made 10mm 3v battery holder and 5mm 2000mcd yellow LED light. recovers on a 5" vinyl chute. Flys pretty well on a single MMX-II motor in little or no wind. anything over about 10mph will turn it just before ejection as can be seen in the night launch photo.

MM 241b1_Assateague Lite house 1st flight_08-30-03.jpg

Winter/Christmas theme Odd-roc that is always a pleasure to prep and fly is Frosty.
flys nice and recovers easy for those frozen fingers during winter launches.
it's just a fun little rocket.

MM 242a-sm_Snowman 7mm_12-15-00.jpg

MM 242b1-sm_Snowman 7mm_midflight_01-13-01.jpg

MM 242Lp12b_Snowman Closeup_12-18-10.JPG

MM 242Lp12d_Snowman Mid flight_12-18-10.JPG

Not embarrasing at all! Tell me more about the X-15, V-2, Titan, Blimp(?)..
Thanks.

The V2 and Titan are very quasi-scale renditions. The Titan is loosely the IIIC-MOL variety and is described described here. The V2 uses 10.5mm tubing. The cone is an Apogee resin cone and is not nearly scale

The X-15 is a 1/300 Heller PMC and is described in this post.

The R-100 Blimp is a Currell paper model didn't work out so well. I documented it here for my personal historic reference. This would make a decent 13mm conversion. I re-converted mine but it ended up with more lawn dart recovery than tumble.

Thanks.

The V2 and Titan are very quasi-scale renditions. The Titan is loosely the IIIC-MOL variety and is described described here. The V2 uses 10.5mm tubing. The cone is an Apogee resin cone and is not nearly scale

The X-15 is a 1/300 Heller PMC and is described in this post.

The R-100 Blimp is a Currell paper model didn't work out so well. I documented it here for my personal historic reference. This would make a decent 13mm conversion. I re-converted mine but it ended up with more lawn dart recovery than tumble.

Ah Dick: Don't you mean 1/130th Heller PMC:) Where'd ya get 1/300? I'm afraid 1/300 would be just a bit tight for our MMX motors LOL!!!

Matter of fact I recently added the one page plan for this PMC to the files section over on the MicroMaxRockets yahoo group

MM 252a1-sm_ X-15 130th PMC_12-21-01.jpg

View attachment MM 252c_X-15 130th PMC Dwg_12-21-01.pdf

Back to the build order:
This model is one of the heaviest downscales I've actually gotten to fly fairly well on a single MMX-II motor. with a LOWt of 18.2g she only gets about 20 feet of altitude but it's a very slow and impressive.. almost majestic raise to ejection for this kewl designed model.
Hand turning, carving, shaping and hollowing out the Crew Quarters Nosecone was by far the most time consuming part of this build.
I like to show it along with the full size D12 powered model.

MM 243a2_Explorer Aquarius(s)_12-22-00.jpg

Always a favorite flying model the interceptor HAD to be on the early downscale list.
I think it took longer to decide how to do the tail antenna than most of the other features. At Minumum diameter T2+ the Tailcone detail had to be omitted when flying but was added to a spent motor casing for display time.
adding the Display booster was actually an afterthought siezed on when I looked up my Old instructions sheet while researching the decal details.

Anyone who as built an interceptor of any size knows the time involved decaling. This micro version was no exception taking 3 full nights of work to apply.
It's micro size has nothing on it's GREAT flight performance on the OLD MMX-I motors, it's out of sight in a heart beat only to be re-aquired on the way down under a 1/2" x 9" white teflon plumbers tape streamer/wadding.

So far this model has logged more flights then just about any other model in my micor fleet (28 currently) in that time it's spent the night a couple times in high trees and been lost for a weekend in high grass. through it all it still looks pretty good on display and Always gets a lot of attention on the table.
Because of it's 3.85g size (5gram LOWt) I've yet to catch anything other then a blur launch photo even with my 35MM camera.

another T2+ minimum dia. body downscale was the Starship VEGA. with .020" Styrene fins and Basswood Nose it wasn't all that difficult to build and fly's great.
Like the interceptor it's just too quick off the pad for flight shots. but comes back well with a 1/2" white teflon plumbers tape streamer.

MM 245a1-sm_Starship VEGA_11-27-01.jpg

MM 245b2_Starship Vega on rack_01-12-02.jpg

Here is my hojo micro test round paint. This is a little different version than blackjacks one of my favorite micros.

mms_picture (17).jpg

I have enough parts to kit some more of these.

All use body wraps...no painting!;)

mmx kits.JPG

I have enough parts to kit some more of these.

All use body wraps...no painting!;)

Sandman:
While I've been pleased with the way the wrapped micro's I've built have come out, I must echo gagreens comment.
I'm feel more inclined to continue painting & finishing as part of building micros as well, They just seem to last longer then wrapped models even if the wraps are overcoated with clear or matte clear.

MM 331a-sm_Sandman Little Joe-II_05-20-07.jpg

Last edited:
Well lets see where'd I stop....Starship Vega.

Next up was what I do with HOJO nosecones LOL! A micro Deep Space Transport. at T2+ it was to small to make it a 3 motor cluster.. i've been considering Uping the Core to T-3 and adding T2+ boosters to the next version:) As it is in Miminim diameter it like the interceptor and Vega are out-a-sight before you can snap your neck:)

MM 246a1-sm_Deep Space Transport_09-04-01.jpg

Combining fun building types. I wanted to add a couple Micor's to my Recycled trash fly'in Food container Odd-Roc collection. To this end I started looking around for very small containers to try a couple "Micro Bottle Rockets".
A Single motor contraption was fashioned using a strawberry extract flavoring bottle. added a little Pink paint inside to give the bottle a full look and a couple folded .020" clear Polycarbonate fins, Internal T2+ motor tube and T2 shoulder epoxed under the cap after removing the threads. Heavy at 17g but still flys OK. recovers with a 1/2" red teflon 10" streamer.

Located a small but still way to Heavy Scope bottle I thought would be a fun Bottle rocket. I decided this one would be a 2 motor cluster. Which worked out well with a BT-5 core tube covered in mirror finished monocote it recovers with a small 6" mylar chute. Dual MMX-II's get it about 60feet for lots of laughs.

MM 247a1-sm_Strawberry Bottle Odd-Roc_11-03-01.jpg

Last edited:
here is my kit bash of a fliskits interloper and the leftover bt from the hojo. pics are kinda cruddy cant find my camera's usb cable

mms_picture_2 (1).jpg

mms_picture (18).jpg

One nearly Perfect Plastic Model "series" Kit is the AMT 1/200 scale - Man I Space Collection Kit #30037.
While out of production currently: it's still around in local hobby shops. If you run across one Snatch it Up because EVERY Pieces in this 5 rocket set IS Flight convertable. Of the 5 models you'll actually get 7 vehicles that can be converted for flight. 5 ON MMX motors. They include the Mercury-Redstone, Mercury-Atlas, 2 motor clustered Gemini-Titan and two tiny Lunar Modules (LEM's) from the Saturn-1B and Saturn V. Once loaded, adding a bit of nose weight all these conversion have flown well. even the tiny Merc-Redstone with it's very small fins fly fine with a bit of tail wiggle just before ejection;) the Gemini-Titan was originally set up to fly in 10.5mm A2 motors but has been converted to squeeze in a pair of micros. this does take a bit of surgery to the inside plastic and stuffer tube.

I think the most unusual is of coarse the tiny LEM's flying without fins as such instead using a Drag Disc set under the landing legs making it Sort of a Semi-Spool model.

MiS-a_Man in Space 5model AMT 30037 200th (128dpi)_00.jpg

MM 255b1_LEM _200 onpad_01-12-02.jpg

MM 255b2a_LEM_PMC-OSL-win_01-12-02.jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Back