Little John six-round launcher test information?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarYellow

Basket of deployables.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
@PeterAlway includes a set of color info for the deployed version of the Little John, described as "Six-Round Launcher Test."

I have also come across the following photo, with the file name "js640_andrey_little_john_04.jpg" that appears to be the same color scheme as in Alway's info but with a black NC tip and the XM47 clipped-delta fins that are viable for model rocket flight.

Just wondering if anyone has additional info on the "Six-Round Launcher Test" flights and scale data to accompany. Between Peter's drawing/sketch and this crappy photo, I can come up with something that will look cool, but I'd love to be able to document it better and make it more accurate if possible.

js640_andrey_little_john_04.jpg

Last edited:

Attachments

• LJOHN2.jpg
    LJOHN2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That's interesting. It would seem that the XM47 round currently on display in the WSMR rocket garden is painted to match the photo above, but without the information that the design was part of a roll pattern that made a view of the rocket from any angle unique. Thus, it was given the same stripe setup on both sides, mirrored 180 degrees. That has propagated through the modeling community due to the ready availability of documentation.

The four views for 360-degree coverage are based in part on photos, and in part on wraparound diagrams of Little Joe II roll patterns from vintage sources. I dropped the "six-missile launcher" description from later versions of my drawing. Frankly, I'm not sure where that description came from--perhaps from captions for those photos that I have since lost.

Attachments

• Little-John-08-operational.gif
    Little-John-08-operational.gif
    112.5 KB · Views: 0
Back