MDRM Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get it, I need to order the motors befroe the end of this week because of a family event where im going to set it off.

Keep in mind that any rocket over 53oz, loaded and ready to fly, is a Class 2 rocket in the FAA’s eyes and requires a waiver.

You should be under that unless you overbuild.

I get it, I need to order the motors befroe the end of this week because of a family event where im going to set it off.
Then order motors with an adjustable delay, at least. Of the motors at asp-rocketry, the G76 has the most punch off the pad, and being LMS, the -7 delay can be shortened (don't shorten the -4 delay!). If it's too heavy for the motors you choose, then you'll just have motors for some future rocket. Launch off of a 6' rail if possible.

If it ends up weighing more than 1500g (3.3 lbs) with motor, it would require an FAA waiver to launch, regardless of motor, so keep it under that weight. Of course, a rocket that weighs that much is likely to require a high power motor. All sorts of things to consider when building large rockets!

<Edit> Tim, you beat me to the punch on the weight!

My Mega Max clone weighs 46 ounces. It will do a nice low altitude flight on a G80-4.

My Mega Max clone weighs 46 ounces. It will do a nice low altitude flight on a G80-4.
The Aerotech G80-4 ceased production about 10 rears ago. With the increase in total impulse to 137 N-S, the shortest delay is now 7 seconds. There is an adjustable delay DMS G80, from 14 seconds down to 6 seconds.

The Aerotech G80-4 ceased production about 10 rears ago. With the increase in total impulse to 137 N-S, the shortest delay is now 7 seconds. There is an adjustable delay DMS G80, from 14 seconds down to 6 seconds.
Just trim the delay .Easy peasey

Alright i’m going to fly my mdrm tomorrow with a g79-4w. My only concern is that will there be rod whip on the estes psii pad if my rocket weights just about two pounds?

Alright i’m going to fly my mdrm tomorrow with a g79-4w. My only concern is that will there be rod whip on the estes psii pad if my rocket weights just about two pounds?

It is pretty heavy for a PSII pad, or to be flown on any rod in general. Usually by that size, it’s good to start moving toward rails. But it will probably be fine. I’d recommend you don’t angle the rod at all. Point it straight up. And don’t fly it in any wind. Make sure it’s calm. Those two things should minimize the strain on the rod.

Good luck with the flight!

It is pretty heavy for a PSII pad, or to be flown on any rod in general. Usually by that size, it’s good to start moving toward rails. But it will probably be fine. I’d recommend you don’t angle the rod at all. Point it straight up. And don’t fly it in any wind. Make sure it’s calm. Those two things should minimize the strain on the rod.

Good luck with the flight!
thanks i did add a little nose weight to balance it out but i’ll report back tomorrow morning!

Back