MDRM Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackiboi_11

Reaction score
Hello all, i’m about to start a mega der red max clone with a 29mm mount and was wondering the best motors to use for it (single use) because the recommendations i saw were for the stock mdrm not with plywood upgrades. I was thinking a G77-4R or G-80-7T. Any help is appreciated!

Either do a full sim with freeware Open Rocket, buy a copy of Apogee’s RocSim or get a solid “rule of thumb” recommended motor list with Thrustcurve.

You don’t have to create the sim file from scratch, there are several available here on TRF in various forums but most likely K’tesh has one done you can mod to match the heavier parts https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/kteshs-openrocket-files-index.148212/

Either do a full sim with freeware Open Rocket, buy a copy of Apogee’s RocSim or get a solid “rule of thumb” recommended motor list with Thrustcurve.

You don’t have to create the sim file from scratch, there are several available here on TRF in various forums but most likely K’tesh has one done you can mod to match the heavier parts https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/kteshs-openrocket-files-index.148212/
yeah but i can’t access openrocket at this point that is why i’m asking. Sorry if i didn’t make that clear.

Hello all, i’m about to start a mega der red max clone with a 29mm mount and was wondering the best motors to use for it (single use) because the recommendations i saw were for the stock mdrm not with plywood upgrades. I was thinking a G77-4R or G-80-7T. Any help is appreciated!

I think any of the high-thrust single use G motors would be ok, but you probably want to stick with 4-second delays, not 7. G80 blue Thunder, G79 white, G78 green, G77 red. The lower thrust ones like G40 and G38 are probably not adequate.

You should probably weigh your competed rocket, after painting and everything, fully loaded with the recovery system, but without the motor. Then put that weight into a sim program, either a more detailed one like OpenRocket, or just a basic sim like ThrustCurve, and see if it works. ThrustCurve is a great resource for answering the question you just asked. Put in the weight and diameter, and search for single-use 29mm Aerotech motors — you’ll get a list of motors.

https://www.thrustcurve.org/

It depends on your final weight. Do a SIM.

7 second delay is almost guaranteed to be too long on a G. Mega Max is draggy and slows down quickly. Like @cwbullet said, and I did in an earlier thread, use OpenRocket or RockSim to run a simulation of your particular build.

You actually want to build that 4" rocket with a 54mm mount. 54mm single grain motors are a lot of fun and you can always adapt down. good luck.

I
You actually want to build that 4" rocket with a 54mm mount. 54mm single grain motors are a lot of fun and you can always adapt down. good luck.
By the time i posted this thread the plywood parts were already ordered. I wanted to keep this a very low flyer but the help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• LOC Goblin.rkt
    24.5 KB · Views: 0
My MDRM weighs 36 oz, and flies fine on just about any AT G motor (though I usually fly on the H210 or I200.

G64, G77,G78,G79, a 5.5s delay is ideal. A G80-7 would be long, but at 900’, would still work.
One nice thing about LMS is that the delay can be adjusted. Buy the -7, and drill out 1 or 2 seconds, if your weight turns out close to mine.

It would even fly ok on an F50-4, though just 400’. Again, if your weight is 36 oz.

If it ends up weighing much more, you may not have sufficient speed off of a rail on any of these motors.

I got the 1/4 inch plywood fins and rings and i haven't weighed yet but definitely weighs a good amount.
My MDRM weighs 36 oz, and flies fine on just about any AT G motor (though I usually fly on the H210 or I200.

G64, G77,G78,G79, a 5.5s delay is ideal. A G80-7 would be long, but at 900’, would still work.
One nice thing about LMS is that the delay can be adjusted. Buy the -7, and drill out 1 or 2 seconds, if your weight turns out close to mine.

It would even fly ok on an F50-4, though just 400’. Again, if your weight is 36 oz.

If it ends up weighing much more, you may not have sufficient speed off of a rail on any of these motors.

The question you are asking about whether these motors will work for your MDRM and LOC Goblin will depend entirely on the weight of your finished rockets. You don’t know what your rockets will weigh at this point, and it sounds like with the MDRM fin mods, you don’t even have a rough idea. And LOC’s estimated kit weights are always wrong by a LOT. Unless you need to buy the motors now for some reason, you might want to wait until you have an idea what your rockets are going to weigh.

The question you are asking about whether these motors will work for your MDRM and LOC Goblin will depend entirely on the weight of your finished rockets. You don’t know what your rockets will weigh at this point, and it sounds like with the MDRM fin mods, you don’t even have a rough idea. And LOC’s estimated kit weights are always wrong by a LOT. Unless you need to buy the motors now for some reason, you might want to wait until you have an idea what your rockets are going to weigh.
I get it, I need to order the motors befroe the end of this week because of a family event where im going to set it off.

Latest posts

Back