Crazy prices on eBay that make me frustrated.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Camaro inner door panel from GM is almost 400 bucks, I found the 2 I wanted, leather, lighted and padded for 174.00 each on Ebay. They were new OEM in original box. And I NEVER use Ebay:)

Maybe I just don't understand "collectors", but why the heck would anyone pay 30x the retail for a rocket that will wind up in a tree after flying it once or twice? I could fabricate a replica rocket for less money. I have bought "vintage/OOP" kits from people leaving the hobby for under retail, and then built and flown them, because that is what rocket kits *are for* -- not to keep in bags for some future time when you might make money on them.
Very simple , it's because they can.

Maybe I just don't understand "collectors", but why the heck would anyone pay 30x the retail for a rocket that will wind up in a tree after flying it once or twice?

Not "collectors".
More like adults who remember building THAT kit as a kid, and now wishing to relieve that experience as an adult, sitting on a pile of disposable cash. Or wishing to built the same kit with their kids...

For someone with disposable income, the difference between $150 and $300 isn't material.

I could fabricate a replica rocket for less money. I have bought "vintage/OOP" kits from people leaving the hobby for under retail, and then built and flown them, because that is what rocket kits *are for* -- not to keep in bags for some future time when you might make money on them.

I completely agree with you on that.
I buy, build, and fly all of my kits. Regardless of purchase price or current eBay resale value.

I'm in it for building and flying.
Some folks are in it for collecting and reselling.
Or whatever else draws one to a hobby.

It's all good!

a

Well, 161 for kit that I have three of in storage and might have to make a 3d printed version that I could sell for $20-25

One time, I had some expansions for a board game arrive damaged. I contacted the company for a replacement, expecting that they would just pick replacements for the damaged parts out of a box and send them. Nope, they sent a complete replacement for the expansion and everything in it. I was pretty shocked.

Now, these particular damaged items were exclusive items not offered for retail sale, and were only available if you bought the game on the Kickstarter. Despite the damage, most of the stuff in the boxes was fine and I figured I could do someone who missed out on the kickstarter a favor and get back a bit of the purchase price by selling the damaged stuff. I prominently listed what was damaged and missing in the item description, and put the damaged stuff up for auction on eBay starting at 99 cents plus shipping.

When the auction was over, the final purchase price was about $200. I was astonished and honestly felt kind of bad, since I went in thinking someone who missed out on the Kickstarter could get some of this stuff for a cheap price.

Some people just really want something, and will spend whatever they have to to get it.

One time, I had some expansions for a board game arrive damaged. I contacted the company for a replacement, expecting that they would just pick replacements for the damaged parts out of a box and send them. Nope, they sent a complete replacement for the expansion and everything in it. I was pretty shocked.

Now, these particular damaged items were exclusive items not offered for retail sale, and were only available if you bought the game on the Kickstarter. Despite the damage, most of the stuff in the boxes was fine and I figured I could do someone who missed out on the kickstarter a favor and get back a bit of the purchase price by selling the damaged stuff. I prominently listed what was damaged and missing in the item description, and put the damaged stuff up for auction on eBay starting at 99 cents plus shipping.

When the auction was over, the final purchase price was about $200. I was astonished and honestly felt kind of bad, since I went in thinking someone who missed out on the Kickstarter could get some of this stuff for a cheap price.

Some people just really want something, and will spend whatever they have to to get it.
I know the feeling. I felt guilty buying a kit for twice the price. Can’t imagine 8-16 x the price.

Yeah. A real $200 value:

The kit is not sealed but looks complete. It also looks to have an extra parachute, box tube, plastic nose and other plastic body part to a different rocket all together. Some of the inserts are bent from years of storage folded up. It looks to have all inserts and stickers but not completely sure about that. The box has scuffs and marks but is structurally sound. This kit includes the pieces to make the rocket but does not include or ever has included the launching mechanism or engine. Take a good look at parts and part list to ensure satisfaction. It comes as shown. See pictures for more visual details and to ensure satisfaction. We combine shipping on multiple orders when possible. Check out my store for more vintage items of all kinds.

By Grabthar's Hammer, too much for me to pay.

Someone might buy it for nostalgia
Agreed, at least for me.​
But $200 today is equivalent to $52.76 in 1980. So, I guess if your into buying vintage / nostalgic unbuilt kits, maybe not a bad deal. :dontknow:
Of course, it was only $4.00 in 1980.​
200 dollars in 2024.jpg
1980 Estes Aerospace Club.jpg

Last edited:
One time, I had some expansions for a board game arrive damaged. I contacted the company for a replacement, expecting that they would just pick replacements for the damaged parts out of a box and send them. Nope, they sent a complete replacement for the expansion and everything in it. I was pretty shocked....

It depends on how the company has their inventory system set up. The smallest unit may be the expansion itself. If that is the case, then they have to have someone open the box and remove just the parts you need. Then they have to go find a box, pack your stuff in that box and then ship it. The leftover parts are either tossed, or they need to create an inventory location for each item. For most companies it isn't worth the time to do that.

Sending you a full replacement is actually cheaper and easier for them.

I viewed it on ebay and now I am getting emails saying "love it or return it" and the like from ebay! :facepalm:

I have a google account and I am getting ebay notifications and I'm not sure why. Trying to turn it off but I'm not sure how!

It has a rocketry use.

I am not paying $200 for that rocket membership kit.

After visiting that Ebay posting before, today I got a notice when I logged into eBay that it's on special "secret" sale for $170 and to buy it before someone else does 😂

I was looking up what D-Regions had gone for in the past.

Back