Madcow's 5.5" Filament Wound V2 Back in Stock!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of our customers have been modifying the V2 to 75mm mmt - pretty easy to do, but thought I would ask here if you all would like us to offer that as an option?

BTW, we have another size in the works - prototype flying next weekend :)

Wildman's new V2 is already 75mm... Your kit looks great and I've enjoyed some of your rockets in the past but you'd be hard pressed to get me to buy yours when I support Tim, my local vendor, and get a very similar rocket. I certainly prefer the 75mm option. Now if you had an 8" or perhaps 11.5" V2...you'd get my business!

Mike
Flyers always want more but will they purchase it???

Actually, was thinking of keeping the same price as the 54mm. We have already sold a bunch of the 5.5" / 54mm versions since last year when we introduced the kit - I noticed I'm swapping a whole bunch of 54mm motor tubes for 3" motor tubes, so thought I would see if people would prefer that.

BTW, we'll probably keep the intro price of $259.95 for a bit longer because this kit has been so popular. We had a pretty long waiting list for awhile so I figured better to keep the lower price to give everyone a chance to take advantage. Thank you all for your support!

Mike- Jack had to hide the two 54mm tubed birds at ROC I bought at the Plaster debut because of the response. Folks up there went nuts and in the short time I was there at least half a dozen rocketeers were upset I got both for TRF'rs here. ( I know that because they told me!) I think it's very cool of you to keep the intro price and maybe kit a few 75mm birds for anticipated demands. Sweet bird-fit is great and flies fantastic. Glad to see you've caught up. Hope to see you at PB 13!

My MC V2 is built just waiting for warm weather to paint it. For the lucky flyers who have flew the V2 what motors are you guys using? How about some pictures of your V2s
Thanks

Wildman's new V2 is already 75mm... Your kit looks great and I've enjoyed some of your rockets in the past but you'd be hard pressed to get me to buy yours when I support Tim, my local vendor, and get a very similar rocket. I certainly prefer the 75mm option. Now if you had an 8" or perhaps 11.5" V2...you'd get my business!

This is kinda a shortsighted thing to say. The kits ALL come from the same source. Your rule about being local to Illinois doesn't really apply to anyone else and is irrelevant to Madcow's business decision as to whether a 75mm version would be of interest, so the purpose of your comment was really just to say "I'm team Wildman!"

Mike and Tim are both friends of mine so I'm not gonna say anything stupid buuuuut since I drew one of them...
Not to mention that the Madcow version looks a lot more like a V2 to me.
Adjust what you think a V2 should look like, then. Here's Peter Alway's drawing:
Screen Shot 2014-04-03 at 9.12.11 PM.png

and here's my CAD that was used to generate the cut files:
Screen Shot 2014-04-03 at 9.13.06 PM.png

and here's the two of them overlaid:
Screen Shot 2014-04-03 at 9.14.43 PM.png

Go ahead and have your supply chain arguments or whatever. But don't imply that I can't draw scale. Low blow, dude.

image.jpg
Mike and Tim are both friends of mine so I'm not gonna say anything stupid buuuuut since I drew one of them...

Adjust what you think a V2 should look like, then. Here's Peter Alway's drawing:
View attachment 167906

and here's my CAD that was used to generate the cut files:
View attachment 167907

and here's the two of them overlaid:
View attachment 167909

Go ahead and have your supply chain arguments or whatever. But don't imply that I can't draw scale. Low blow, dude.

Without ruffling feathers, you do not have to go by what looks right but what is right
Peter Always book shows the end of the nosecone curve station at 208.5 Inches, simple math will tell you the true shape is 3.2:1.
Besides that I have loads and loads of scale date shared to me by many different individuals in my quest for true scale data over the last 10 years.
One of which is a scale blue print produced by engineers at NASA and it confirms Peter Always dimensions.

So which one looks better is a matter of opinion, which one is more scale is a matter of fact.

Just my 2 cents
Probably going to get me in trouble.
Curtis-

Without ruffling feathers, you do not have to go by what looks right but what is right
Peter Always book shows the end of the nosecone curve station at 208.5 Inches, simple math will tell you the true shape is 3.2:1.
Besides that I have loads and loads of scale date shared to me by many different individuals in my quest for true scale data over the last 10 years.
One of which is a scale blue print produced by engineers at NASA and it confirms Peter Always dimensions.

So which one looks better is a matter of opinion, which one is more scale is a matter of fact.

Just my 2 cents
Curtis-

Curtis--The Source.

The discussion is one of your customer's kits, which I and others have regrettably steered the conversation away from. Instead we're discussing the accuracy of a competitor's kit, which I provoked, and would like to move on from.

Boy Tim is a lucky man. Please move along and leave Mike be. Sad.

image.jpg

FWIW, I love both the Wildman and Madcow offerings...going to get one someday, just not sure which. Nice job to both vendors--obviously hit a like with the crowd. I sure do like the look of the yellow/black V-2.

Last edited:

Just my 2 cents
Curtis-

Here is my 11.5" Performance Rocketry V2 on an M2505. An awesome kit when it was produced.

[video=youtube;pC6Vbt2MDs4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC6Vbt2MDs4[/video]

interesting discussion guys...where is the historic truth? Well in fact we shall first separate 2 rockets heavily mixed up: the A4, the "Aggregat 4" (the research name in Peenemünde) and the "V2", "Vergeltungswaffe 2" which was the production name of freezed versions of the A4, produced by concentration camp prisoners in Mittelwerk an underground production facility run by the SS in the middle of Germany (today). Saying that many versions where tested in Peenemünde and very few built in large series in Mittelwerk. In the post war memories of the participants you can always notice the stress between the scientists, permanently changing the details and designs, and the SS which was pissed to see the production permently disturbed and reseted...
They tested at the research center different shapes and lenght, even smaller versions like the A5 or very close derivates (in shape) like the A4b or the Wasserfall missile. Saying that we shall not forget the Russian versions of the A4 and even the chinese versions (yes!!) like the DongFeng1.
End of the story: the shapes have vary in length many times, only the tail seems to have a frozen design earlier. Take the one you like from Madcow or Tim and build, or even better..modify your kits...Reality and history does not play a big role, rocketeer fun is in first place. Great to see Tim & Mike now offering 3 beautifull kits (thx Curtis). I have got a 38mm. a 4", a 5.5" and a 8"...I would not build a new one..but I would modify one of these to an A4b or a Wasserfall...this would be a real challenge..
Denis

Last edited:
Back