Madcow Level-2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my sim file for this kit, and some of the motors in the file were flown and match almost perfectly to real world results: View attachment 268382

EDIT: By the time I started flying this rocket in dual deploy, I had put a new nose cone on top. The new nose cone was the same type of molded fiberglass, but 4" longer. There was nothing wrong with the old nose cone, I just liked the longer one better.

Last edited:
Yes I have flown one. I used t to get my L1 and L2. It's a great kit and comes with (almost) everything needed to get it flying as a dual deploy model.

My only suggestion is get a longer shock cord for the fin can to av-bay. I punched a hole in my nose cone because the supplied shock cords were too similar in length. The hole was repaired, and the shock cords replaced, and my L2 was achieved the following launch using a CTI K740. This kit will also fit a 5 and 6 grain casing. If you plan on flying 6XL, then make a 4" or so extension to the fin can.

I am glad I found this! Good information. I'm building my first level 1 now (Torrent) and have the Level 2 sitting in a box beside my desk! I'll most definitely hold on to this nugget! Thanks.

I am glad I found this! Good information. I'm building my first level 1 now (Torrent) and have the Level 2 sitting in a box beside my desk! I'll most definitely hold on to this nugget! Thanks.

No problem. I love madcow kits and this was my first one. Unfortunately I lost mine at a frozen lake launch back in January. I'm going to replace it someday though.

oh no! no fun. 11 years ago I build a "little johnny rocket", flying portapotty, and it got stuck in a tree for 3 years. I finally got it back but it was too weathered. I absolutely feel your pain. That was such a COOL rocket!! Toilet paper streamer and all!

oh no! no fun. 11 years ago I build a "little johnny rocket", flying portapotty, and it got stuck in a tree for 3 years. I finally got it back but it was too weathered. I absolutely feel your pain. That was such a COOL rocket!! Toilet paper streamer and all!

Lol. But the Level-2 was a hard loss. 54mm 4grain casing/closure RRC3 went with it. Good thing the camera didn't get a ride yet...

And it went out in style too 10s burn K160 Classic.

I built this rocket for my level 2 cert, and flown it twice using 38mm CTI motors. I'm presently making a second nose cone with GPS tracking so I can join the Mile High club.
  • [video=youtube;9jIiZnewLWg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jIiZnewLWg[/video]
  • Rocket Photo

Lol. But the Level-2 was a hard loss. 54mm 4grain casing/closure RRC3 went with it. Good thing the camera didn't get a ride yet...

And it went out in style too 10s burn K160 Classic.

I bet it was. I guess the total cost of mine as about the price of your engine! I can only imagine the thoughts going through your head as it headed toward that lake. ugh!

I bet it was. I guess the total cost of mine as about the price of your engine! I can only imagine the thoughts going through your head as it headed toward that lake. ugh!

We never saw it again after the burn. It just went up and disappeared into the sky. Never heard ejection events, never saw it come down.

What did you guys use for ejection charges? 2 grams was perfect for the aft section but 1.4 grams (although the ground test looked good) didn't cut the mustard on the forward section with three 2-56 shear pins.

What did you guys use for ejection charges? 2 grams was perfect for the aft section but 1.4 grams (although the ground test looked good) didn't cut the mustard on the forward section with three 2-56 shear pins.

I used 1.3g for both main and drogue. Never had a deployment failure using those. Or at least not a known failure, would love to find it to find out.

Hi All,

I am thinking of getting one of these myself, when they have them back in stock. I see that have a note that the fins are no longer beveled due to "manufacturing changes."

Should I have any concerns with that?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Thanks for the suggestion! I was thinking of beveling them myself, but was interested in other's experience. I noticed the above video shows them unbeveled.
Btw, have any pics or videos of your rocket?

What did you guys use for ejection charges?
My level 2 has three 2-56 screws in the payload section and two 2-56 screws in the booster section. The main charge is 1.1g, and the drogue charge is 1.5g - all 4FG BP. Ground separation tests and the two flights (one the L2 cert flight) performed as expected.

Level-2_051615.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back