Madcow 4" Cricket 40% off

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got the email.
Due to an ordering error Madcow received way more Cricket fins than they needed, so they are blowing out Cricket kits at 40% off.
MSRP $105.90, sale $63.54.
I would order one but they only ship here by FedEx at $59!
Rats!
When they're gone the price reverts.

Yeah, I was offered Fedex Ground for $21 and change, making my total (with tax) $84.58 for the Cricket. Is that still a good deal? I'm on the fence...... I mean, it's only money. And kits make me happy... so... screw it, this is still cheaper than therapy. I'm getting it!

I considered getting one but I wonder how good the chance is those fins won't be warped to hell and back being that long

Bought a Cricket - thank you for the tip! Got some hardware too to make the shipping sting less.
Cricket reminds me of my 2.6" Quark 29mm (26 flights with F50 and up).
This means it will be a fun and sturdy flyer on smaller 'big' motors.
Neat thing about this type of a model is that no matter how big of a motor you install, Cg-Cp stays nearly the same.
220 Swift Decals?

Cheers / Robert

Bought a Cricket - thank you for the tip! Got some hardware too to make the shipping sting less.
Cricket reminds me of my 2.6" Quark 29mm (26 flights with F50 and up).
This means it will be a fun and sturdy flyer on smaller 'big' motors.
Neat thing about this type of a model is that no matter how big of a motor you install, Cg-Cp stays nearly the same.
220 Swift Decals?

Cheers / Robert
Yeah, I was using their Sim yesterday and found about the same regarding the CG.

I like that it can launch on F/G motors at the Low/Mid Power pads so everyone can see it better, but can also GO with much bigger motors on the HP pads.

When I simmed it with I600 or J500, etc., it apparently can go supersonic (if you're looking for a challenge and ok with strengthening your build :p ).

I ordered two and will split with a buddy for a possible future drag race.
Thanks @kuririn !

Yeah, I was using their Sim yesterday and found about the same regarding the CG.

I like that it can launch on F/G motors at the Low/Mid Power pads so everyone can see it better, but can also GO with much bigger motors on the HP pads.

When I simmed it with I600 or J500, etc., it apparently can go supersonic (if you're looking for a challenge and ok with strengthening your build :p ).

I ordered two and will split with a buddy for a possible future drag race.
Thanks @kuririn !

You take the Cricket go supersonic and you might learn how to make it rain - fins.

You take the Cricket go supersonic and you might learn how to make it rain - fins.
Hence I noted "if you're looking for a challenge and ok with strengthening your build"...which I'd consider at least really good tip to tip fg and possibly changing the fins to fg or cf.

Yesterday I was actually "day-brainstorming" the possibility of building a swappable fin system for my Cricket - either bolt on, or sliding into metal support brackets locked in with a rear thrust plate system. Thoughts on that?

Maybe next year! :)

Hence I noted "if you're looking for a challenge and ok with strengthening your build"...which I'd consider at least really good tip to tip fg and possibly changing the fins to fg or cf.

Yesterday I was actually "day-brainstorming" the possibility of building a swappable fin system for my Cricket - either bolt on, or sliding into metal support brackets locked in with a rear thrust plate system. Thoughts on that?

Maybe next year! :)
It would be a challenge and might need nose weight and hence become one heavy bird.

It would be a challenge and might need nose weight and hence become one heavy bird.
Actually...

Surpringly, it may not need nose weight (based off sim and Madcow directions noting "CG: 17” from nose tip"). This is because the fins are so long and extended that the CG is actually past where the fins attach to the bt. Furthermore, the longer motors (ex. I600) actually have more mass ahead if the Cg than behind, so it actually helps with stability.

I'll add it to my list of goals for 2025 to make a "Geminy Cricket SS"! :) đź‘Ť

Actually...

Surpringly, it may not need nose weight (based off sim and Madcow directions noting "CG: 17” from nose tip"). This is because the fins are so long and extended that the CG is actually past where the fins attach to the bt. Furthermore, the longer motors (ex. I600) actually have more mass ahead if the Cg than behind, so it actually helps with stability.

I'll add it to my list of goals for 2025 to make a "Geminy Cricket SS"! :) đź‘Ť
I will let you test that out.

Back