• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold 4" Madcow Fiberglass DX3 XL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick Kelly

TRA#02937
Reaction score
New unbuilt Madcow fiberglass 4" DX3 XL (non metal nose cone tip)
$325.00 plus shipping. Once I know where it's going, I'll will take package to FedEx to get actual shipping charges and let u know the cost before transaction.
Prefer PayPal payment
[email protected]

Price reduced: $ 250.00 plus shipping cost

Last edited:
Any pics of the kit?
I can unpack it but it's filament wound fiberglass .
5:1 Filament Wound Nose Cone
Pre-Slotted Fiberglass Airframe
G10 3/16" Beveled Fins
G10 Centering Rings
Dual Deploy w/12" Long A-Bay
Rail Buttons
All hardware including Forged Eyebolts

Specifications:​

Length: 88"
Diameter 4.0"
Weight: 14lbs
Motor Mount: 75mm
Fins: 3 each 3/16" G10
Any pics of the kit?

@Mick Kelly --

That's a nice looking kit at a pretty good price.

If I didn't already have a 27-year old box of Hawk Mountain parts for my eventual Level 3, I would think hard about your Madcow DX3 XL.

Below is a .ork file converted from Madcow's rocksim.rkt file ...

It should be able fly J -thru- M without any issues, even at my local TX Sites ...

Good luck !

-- kjh

This is a screen shot with some 54 and 75 mm motors ...

madcow-dx3-xl-or.png

EDIT: fixed screen shot

Attachments

• madcow-dx3xl.ork
    6.4 KB · Views: 0
New unbuilt Madcow fiberglass 4" DX3 XL (non metal nose cone tip)

Is this the old version with the green fiberglass tubing or the new version with the red tubing?

Is the nosecone the older hand laid white composite cone with a shoulder (if so, that would be an interesting relic to have all by itself!)

Is there a diffence besides color? I just ordered this kit during their last black Friday sale and it is green.
The old version (green/natural color) was the tubing from Rocketry/Composite Warehouse. The new red tubing they get from Wildman. If you have any other tubing from those two sources, you can probably judge which one is "better" (not trying to start another Composite Warehouse argument). Personally, I prefer the heavier weight and quality of the older version with the natural colored tubes.

The old version (green/natural color) was the tubing from Rocketry/Composite Warehouse. The new red tubing they get from Wildman. If you have any other tubing from those two sources, you can probably judge which one is "better" (not trying to start another Composite Warehouse argument). Personally, I prefer the heavier weight and quality of the older version with the natural colored tubes.
Oh crap, so what you are telling me is that the first two fiberglass rockets I bought (also snagged a 3 inch version at the same time) are from Composite Warehouse parts, and anything I order from here on out might not be of the same high quality?

Oh crap, so what you are telling me is that the first two fiberglass rockets I bought (also snagged a 3 inch version at the same time) are from Composite Warehouse parts, and anything I order from here on out might not be of the same high quality?

Well, I guess that depends on how you rate the quality of the current line of FWFG products from WM vs CW... I am not saying the WM products are bad, just saying that is what MC is using now (as of late 2022).

However, now that Wildman has bought out Composite Warehouse, WM will be pretty much your only choice in the future.

Well, I guess that depends on how you rate the quality of the current line of FWFG products from WM vs CW... I am not saying the WM products are bad, just saying that is what MC is using now (as of late 2022).

However, now that Wildman has bought out Composite Warehouse, WM will be pretty much your only choice in the future.
I have no experience with Wildman kits yet (Ordered a 6 inch Ultimate Wildman also on Black Friday, that I will pick up at LDRS) but I have no reason to suspect that I will be disappointed. I just knew that everyone spoke of the CW kits as ultimate in quality if you could actually get them. Maybe if there is a difference that will be reduced or eliminated now that Tim is taking over CW's technology.

I have no experience with Wildman kits yet (Ordered a 6 inch Ultimate Wildman also on Black Friday, that I will pick up at LDRS) but I have no reason to suspect that I will be disappointed. I just knew that everyone spoke of the CW kits as ultimate in quality if you could actually get them. Maybe if there is a difference that will be reduced or eliminated now that Tim is taking over CW's technology.

I have owned 100+ tubes and nosecones from each vendor. Generally, the current line of WM tubes are great products, but they tend to be thinner and of a "lighter duty" than the CW products and the CW products had a better "fit and finish" in the precision and surface quality. But, you are correct, obtaining the CW product was 98% of the battle :). This is why I asked the question - if the kit being sold here is the old CW FWFG, it is kind of an end-of-era product. If it is the newer tubing, then it is no different that what you can get from MC right now. Some pictures of the product would help the seller.

Don't worry. I feel the wm kits are higher quality than cw ever was. Don't let 1 person get you worried

Back