LPR Ground Support: Preventive Maintenance on Porta Pad-E

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockrwood

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed that the wing nut on my trusty Estes Porta Pad-E was getting a bit difficult to tighten enough to hold launch rod securely. The Porta Pad-E has given me many years of faithful service.

(I use a 4 feet long, 3/16” steel rod I got at Lowe’s as the launch rod. want that one extra foot of rod to mske sure the rocket is up to speed when it leaves the rod. Every little thing I can do to ensure stability I try to do. The rod is a bit heavier than the Estes 3/16” “Maxi-rod” you get at the hobby store.)

Anyway, I replaced the stock bolt and wing nut with some slightly nicer hardware. The wing nut, in particular, is a solid piece of metal with nice, long threads.

Working great now!

D06492B7-F5C8-4E02-8620-58F6CBB96DD0.jpeg

Why not install the blast plate above the wingnut and it will last longer
Before I respond, I must first comment on your location in Kingman, AZ.

I have never been there, but it is mentioned in one of my favorite verses from the song, "Route 66":

"...Don't forget winona,
Kingman, barstow, san bernandino.
Won't you get hip to this timely tip..."

The old design Porta Pad E did not have the white supports to put the deflector above the hub. The newer design does.
@JimByrne

Yes, the old Porta Pad E that I have suffers from that defect.

It has still held up amazingly well.

To help move the rocket exhaust farther away from the blast plate, I use these high tech devices…

1DF95C37-D8A7-4195-900A-50B3E2F36109.jpeg

What I could do, I suppose, is just drop a small, regular size blast plate down the rod when I use this pad.

@JimByrne

To help move the rocket exhaust farther away from the blast plate, I use these high tech devices…

View attachment 527479

What I could do, I suppose, is just drop a small, regular size blast plate down the rod when I use this pad.
just use one of the small terra cota flower pots over the rod clamp on top the bladt deflector, its what our club has done for years, the pots are about 2" diameter and 2" tall, the hole is already in the bottom for the rod to go through.

@JimByrne

View attachment 527479

I tried buying a cheap 10” drum cymbal online and it fit fine…worked great in distributing the flame because of the slight curvature and the brass color metal seemed thicker and held up better. You can get them in various diameters too.

Back