• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Lot For Sale $6800 firm

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingeagle

Reaction score
IMG_3886.jpegIMG_3886.jpegIMG_3885.jpegIMG_3884.jpegIMG_3883.jpegIMG_3882.jpegIMG_3881.jpegIMG_3880.jpegIMG_3879.jpegIMG_3878.jpegIMG_3874.jpegIMG_3873.jpegIMG_3871.jpegIMG_3870.jpegIMG_3869.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3895.jpeg
    IMG_3895.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3894.jpeg
    IMG_3894.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3893.jpeg
    IMG_3893.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3890.jpeg
    IMG_3890.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3891.jpeg
    IMG_3891.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3892.jpeg
    IMG_3892.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3889.jpeg
    IMG_3889.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3888.jpeg
    IMG_3888.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3887.jpeg
    IMG_3887.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3886.jpeg
    IMG_3886.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
That's a pretty awesome collection. The problem you're going to have is selling that much in one lot. Would you be able to have a 1 or 2 day "rocket garage sale" for local rocketry shoppers?

@Launch Lab Rocketry , this may be your cuppa. (Idea suggested by a friend.)
Thanks. Think I was sent this in a different thread before pics/list were shown. A great collection of modern rockets for sure. I don'rlt see any real vintage or even 90s favorites like SR-71, Tomcat, Maniac, etc. Upon quick glance the asking price seems at or around retail. Nowhere near wholesale unfortunately. If it were, I'd be all over it for the inventory. And CT to NJ is no big deal. OP can always PM me if he wants to try and make a deal. Good luck!

My concern is that no one, perhaps the OP as well, can properly see what's in this collection. With respect to the asking price, take the time to inventory what you want to sell to someone. My thought is that if you don't, no one will buy what you're wanting to sell, as we have no real idea what it represents.
There's a list of models in the pictures.

Is it AT ALL possible to buy just a single kit from the lot? There is one single kit in there that I have been looking for for a LONG time.

Not sure why people seem confused about the inventory now that the OP has posted the pictures.

Assuming the lists (photos of the paper inventories) are correct, I am counting 316 rockets in the lot. This puts the price at just under $22 a rocket. Considering many of the rockets in the lot retail for over $50 and some over $100, overall, this seems like a pretty good price. I am not going to do all the research to value the lot vs. retail, but Estes does not even sell a whole lot of rockets for under $22 and the rockets in this lot don't seem to include a lot of Alphas, etc.

I am not in the market for this volume of LPR/MPR rockets, but it does seem to be a pretty good deal.

NJ I could come over next Friday with cash and make some deals if that is good with you I live in PA and would definitely take some of that off your hands. DM me and lets make a deal.

@flyingeagle, Wow that is an impressive collection. If you have the time, I recommend making some spreadsheets and selling individually. You have a lot of nice kits. The only drawback is they are mostly in production so you are limited in pricing.

@flyingeagle, Wow that is an impressive collection. If you have the time, I recommend making some spreadsheets and selling individually. You have a lot of nice kits. The only drawback is they are mostly in production so you are limited in pricing.

Yup. Although the reasons for selling stated in earlier versions of the post may preclude such activities on the part of the OP, anyone looking to make a buck off this purchase would be facing that same uphill battle. As Launch Lab alluded, the pricing of most of these kits in the marketplace, after transaction costs, will not make much or any money for a seller. It will likely be an 80/20 rule for profitability, and likely an 80/20 rule within that first productive 20.

Matt Steele from North Coast Rocketry has been engaged over the past several years in selling off a notable collection. I am not privy to the circumstances around how he came to be doing that, but it includes many, many long-OOP kits that are highly desirable. He is parceling them out on fleabay a few at a time, which seems to be effectively avoiding flooding the market to the point he drives his own sale prices down. For example, there may be collectors interested in paying top dollar for multiple kits, but their willingness to pay will be greater if those kits are presented one at a time, spread out over time, than if they were presented all at once. Even big spenders may budget their spending.

I suspect that getting top dollar for even the most valuable kits in the collection here will require a similar strategy, which means whoever ends up with it will be sinking funds into it that can't be recovered for several years. As a business person, they must consider what else might be done with that money to build and grow their business in the mean time.

to echo what others have said, it seems to be quite a collection of estes kits, all priced at or around the retail price.
I'm sure there are a few that are worth real money, however many of those kits are still in production, which means I can get them at wholesale prices.
so I'd have to offload many kits at no profit in order to get to the few that are worth money. All while having limited space to display estes kits.
Given the size, it would take 10 to 15 years to (hopefully) sell off all the ones I can get at wholesale

Fleabay doesn't really work in this situation because retail + shipping would make you non-competative with LHS, Hobby Lobby or Estes DTC not to mention on-field vendors.

If you really want to make it attractive to someone like me who could buy the whole lot, make it worth my while. I'd pay half the current asking price, realizing that I'll be sitting on Estes kits for quite a while and have that money tied up in slowly moving stock.

Such is the problem with large collections.

JMHO

It impossible to get a picture of every kit. On the peg board each peg is about 5 or 6 kits deep depending on how big the kit is. On the old computer desk there are also boxes that you also can’t see that have kits in them like say Rocketarium kits not shown. I bought everything from one kit at a time to maybe a half dozen at a time. It was like being in a candy store. Every time I seen a cool rocket I wanted it. It was with the intention of building and flying them. It all just turned out to be an overwhelming dream. I wish I could find a group of people willing to go in on the whole lot. To sell every rocket piece by piece and ask an high price per rocket wouldn’t be fair to someone who wants to buy it and fly it. Some of the rockets like the Estes Star Voyager is selling starting at $90. That’s insane. I just want close to what I paid for everything. The responses in here on my lot has been great and I thank you all for the compliments. Now it’s time to buy them.

For what I paid for everything from my pocket I dropped about $2200 off the lot. Thats a lot of rockets kits for that price. That’s on me. I really can’t go lower because that is too much of a loss for me. I can’t give everything away for peanuts. I’m not looking to make money actually I’m loosing money but I just want to get out of rocketry. Who ever buys them whether a collector or a flyer once they are gone they are gone and done.

I get it and understand. Not too many people can afford the whole lot. Even me when I bought everything over time It was a few at a time. I don’t care what happens to the lot when sold or if a collector has to sit on them trying to sell a kit or two at a time is not my concern. It’s like selling a used car it’s not my concern after it’s gone if the new owner has to put money into it when it’s brakes down.

I don’t care what happens to the lot when sold or if a collector has to sit on them trying to sell a kit or two at a time is not my concern. It’s like selling a used car it’s not my concern after it’s gone if the new owner has to put money into it when it’s brakes down.
You should care, as the amount of work a buyer has to put in to get rid of the kits they don't want will affect what you can sell your lot for.

No. I knocked off $2200 out of my pocket from what I paid for everything and that brought the lot down to $6800. That’s a $2200 loss for me and $6800 is a very fair price for everything.

To sell every rocket piece by piece and ask an high price per rocket wouldn’t be fair to someone who wants to buy it and fly it.
Why is that unfair? You can ask whatever price you want. You are selling hobby rocket kits, not water in a heat wave or transportation out of an emergency. You are NOT taking advantage of anyone by asking a high price. If you tried to buy all the supply of a rare kit with the intention of jacking up prices you could get into unethical behavior. In this case you have sitting inventory from your build pile which took time, energy and money to store properly. I see nothing unfair about selling these at whatever price you like. As others keep noting, the market for batches of kits is much more limited than selling individually.

If I sell the whole lot and wanted to start all over again and replaced everything I have with the same identical kits I couldn’t afford it. The OOP kits are being sold now for a ridiculous price and I couldn’t afford to buy them. As the cost of everything going up like food, gas, ect this hobby is getting to expensive for me with a fixed income. I would like someone to buy them and just have fun. Don’t just hang them up forever and wait for the plastic to turn yellow from age thinking these will be worth double or triple in price some day.

Is it me? Let’s do this again. I spent around $9000 with the intention of building and flying. To sell the lot I dropped $2200 off what I had spent in total. To try to sell everything I am asking for the lot $6800. That is a $2200 loss out of my pocket. I have another hobby that I want to move on to and can’t do both so $6800 is the price.

I am going back into semi truck and car model building. Because of my disability I can’t walk and carry everything into a field anymore to launch it then walk far to retrieve the rocket. I will surely miss the hobby. Even when I look at everything I even impress myself. I see a kit and say man that’s cool looking and that’s why I have so many because they were cool looking. Well it got me into trouble with buying to much and now have to eat crow and take a $2200 loss to sell it.

Hello!! I live in Northern NJ. I'm definitely interested in a portion of this lot. Certainly all the DynaStar and the larger Estes kits. Not sure I saw motors in this lot, but I'll try and PM you and we can make arrangements to meet and see what I can do.

Latest posts

Back