Loki Research 2016

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow... The white didn't clean quite that well, even off the polished nozzle I've got, But I'm definitely planning to continue getting the polished versions if I can. Is there any way to get my nozzles like that through the dealers, or is it only straight from Scott?

I only stock hardware with polished nozzles for exactly this reason....
Loki hardware is the best available.
Why not have the nozzle polished to make clean up that much easier...

Teddy

hahahahahahhaha,,
You guy's r goin to get me in trouble with Scott..
What are the chances he won't see this,, lol..
I have the entire Loki Catalog in stock through 54 / 2800..
All nozzles always polished,,
I won't order them any other way..
I haven't had the chance to put everything on my site..
That includes Jolly Logic as well..
I have always worked my site the same as Cris E -- Eggtimer Rocketry..
You send me an email with what you'd like,,
I make you an invoice,,
you pay it and I ship same day,, even on custom harness work....

Teddy

Oh... Okay then, my next box of Loki goodness might have to come from you then. Scott doesn't even have all that in stock! He has other stuff, but some of those reloads he's all out of...

14183890_524549954401159_8058825939002515783_n.jpg

Flew one today.....wow!!

I've gotta run a sim on my 3 inch "Wildman Stretch" and see what the M 1378 would do to it. I bought the Wildman on special years ago, added length to the sustainer, bought a 10" long coupler for the ebay and added a longer upper bay so I could have a larger parachute. I was going to do a dual electronics installation but I couldn't fit an ARTS2, MAWD and a Beeline GPS tracker in all that space. I didn't know how to do a nosecone mounted tracker then but have learned how to now. Ended up flying it with just the MAWD and Beeline GPS on an L1400 to just a little over 10k AGL and Mach 1 momentarily. Flew straight up. The rocket is metallic painted and I was lucky it came down within sight as the tracker Rf couldn't get out of the ebay. I am going to make a new sled, mount two of the smaller deployment devices available now, have a new nosecone to modify for a nosecone mounted tracker and perhaps fly the L2050 if I can get to an appropriate venue. Would have to knock off an L3 attempt first with another rocket though before an M could be considered. I think the ceiling would be too high for it to be M powered for any of the places nearby. I'm confident it will stand up to the M as I built it with "fresh" Duralco 4525B high temperature epoxy. I was young, stupid and building for bear 8 years ago. Yeah, I already trial fitted the motor casing to the sustainer and there's plenty of room for it and the recovery harness. Kurt Savegnago.

K1127?

The one Glen flew at Bong.

38mm 1200 case

Last edited:
That's the next one I want to fly (maybe at QCRS).. although buying both the nozzle and the load is kind of expensive.

? Pricey compared to what? It's comparable to other 54mm K's. Granted if one doesn't fly K loads often a lot it costs more.
I suspect those that achieve level 3 aren't flying/burning three to four hundred bills all that often. Kurt

Last edited:
? Pricey compared to what? It's comparable to other 54mm K's. Granted if one doesn't fly K loads often a lot it costs more.
I suspect those that achieve level 3 aren't flying/burning three to four hundred bills all that often. Kurt

K1127 is $95? K627 is $115 and $32 for the nozzle, $38 if polished. So looking at flying one motor, $95 and a K1127 kick in the ass motor, or a K627 for 147..... it's a hard sell. I tried buying one off kenny at the last launch, but he didn't get his shipment in yet....and teddy was away....and I haven't gotten around to ordering a #25 nozzle yet....so it may be awhile before I get into a K627

K1127 is $95? K627 is $115 and $32 for the nozzle, $38 if polished. So looking at flying one motor, $95 and a K1127 kick in the ass motor, or a K627 for 147..... it's a hard sell. I tried buying one off kenny at the last launch, but he didn't get his shipment in yet....and teddy was away....and I haven't gotten around to ordering a #25 nozzle yet....so it may be awhile before I get into a K627

That's kind of my point- but.. 38mm K :) At least if you buy the nozzle, you don't need to buy it again. Plus I can probably use it for research as well.

Don't pay shipping on that Dave..
I've got them in stock,, everything up through 54 / 2800...
with the #25 nozzle's...
Coleman flew the K 627 R at Potter in one of his famous super light set ups...
That was right after they were certified...

Teddy

You two are killing me. ;) I'm not ever paying shipping teddy ;) Kenny was there, you were going to airfest. Next time I see you it may happen. I'd like to push the Screech 38 over 10K

That's kind of my point- but.. 38mm K :) At least if you buy the nozzle, you don't need to buy it again. Plus I can probably use it for research as well.

Um, depending how aggressive one's propellant is the nozzle has a limited life. Sparkies beat the heck out of graphite more than non-sparkies. You'll eventually need to buy a new nozzle someday.
I've heard 10 firings is possible with well-behaved propellant... Maybe. Sparkies I've been told maybe 5 to 7 but I don't fly them. Anyone please speak up if there are different numbers for the life
of graphite nozzles. The polishing is definitely worth the expense as far as slag cleanup. I have the slag cone from the first research 54mm motor our group fired in a 54/2800 Loki case from the
Jeff Taylor days. It just snapped right out of the polished nozzle. I treated it with some thin CA to harden it up and keep it in a souvenir case.

Research stuff with unexpected high pressure and high heat, nozzle might not last so long. The heat issue gets so great that the L2050 has a single use phenolic and so does the M1378.
Graphite conducts heat better than phenolic so if a lot of energy/heat is going out the back, the heat can go from the graphite to the aft end of the case and cause a failure.

I had one firing from a high L/D 24mm "H ish" research motor that was way on the edge of blowing as the aft snap ring was bowed out when it burned out. That case was trashed.
I saved the graphite nozzle and it's crumbly from the heat damage.

I think it's quite a feat that Scott achieved with the L2050 and the M1378. The M gives L3 candidates the chance to really lose their rockets if their tracker fails. Kurt

11040001.jpg First research slag cone

Last edited:
Back