Lipo ??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeJsDad

Reaction score
How many ignites do you folks think I can do with a 3S 850mah battery if i am flying with Estes igniters and no clusters, all LPR's.

Say you source 1A for 0.2S per flight. That is 200maS per flight. Your capacity is 850maH as stated. So you have:
850maH/200maS/flight*3600S/H=15,300 flights.
The thing I don't know is the C rating of your battery. There is some relationship to the C rating of a LiPo and the current sourcing as it reaches it's low voltage limit.

Last edited:
C = Max constant current discharge rate. So a 25C pack can pump out 25A without killing itself.

As a practical matter, the continuity and arming indication (lamp/LED/buzzer/whatever) will play into this.

I will say this: I have a 3s 1250 mAh pack in my Estes PSII controller and I can fly a whole season without charging it, and this includes using it for composite motors, not just using Estes igniters/starters.

C = Max constant current discharge rate. So a 25C pack can pump out 25A without killing itself.
Actually, a 25C pack can (if the rating is honest) deliver 25x the capacity number of the pack.Or to look at it another way, you can safely discharge the pack in 60/25 minutes - 2.4 minutes.

In the case of the OP's 850 mAh example, 25C would be 21.25A. That also, of course, depends on the rest of the circuit/load.

Actually, a 25C pack can (if the rating is honest) deliver 25x the capacity number of the pack.Or to look at it another way, you can safely discharge the pack in 60/25 minutes - 2.4 minutes.

In the case of the OP's 850 mAh example, 25C would be 21.25A. That also, of course, depends on the rest of the circuit/load.

Yeppers, I stand corrected. I have 2 1000mAh packs and was thinking in terms of those packs. Ooops.... :p

As a practical matter, the continuity and arming indication (lamp/LED/buzzer/whatever) will play into this.

I will say this: I have a 3s 1250 mAh pack in my Estes PSII controller and I can fly a whole season without charging it, and this includes using it for composite motors, not just using Estes igniters/starters.

I was hoping you would comment because I thought I remember you posting something along these lines previously. Thank You !

Those papers presume I understand all of this..... I guess I will make sure I have extra batteries.

If you don't understand the science and math involved, do it the old fashioned way. Get a bucket of igniters and start testing. Or start launching and see how it goes.

Yes, spare batteries are always a good idea. Also a way to recharge at the launch can help.

As a real world data point, DART gets ~1000 launches on ~50% of a 2200 mAh 3S LiPo. Our system has 2 15-20 ma indicator LEDs that are on nearly continuously, and they probably account for 2/3 of the current drain. So I'd expect that with an 800 mAh class battery with much less continuous drain you'd still get close to 1000 launches.

Back