Mosfet Launchpad Igniter Issue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK. Try the motor connected to the mosfet without the wire from the Arduino connected. The motor should be OFF. If not the mosfet is bad.
Do you have a voltmeter for testing?
Yep you guys were right I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. I replaced it with another IRF530 and it works perfectly fine under this setup. Must have over-currented the original mosfet accidentally as I was experimenting/figuring out the wiring. Thank you so much.

I wouldn't use PWM for your ignition application. Just use normal digitalWrite().
Here is some code to do that and also use the builtin LED to monitor the process.
This code uses an 'F' input from the Serial monitor to fire the igniter.

const int fetPin = 6; // pin connected to IRF550 MOSFET gate
const int ledPin = 13; // pin connected to Arduino LED

void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600); // Use Serial monitor to send fire command
pinMode(fetPin, OUTPUT); // Set FET pin as output
pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT); // Set LED pin as output
digitalWrite(fetPin, LOW); // Set FET output to 0V
digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW); // Turn LED off
}

void loop() {
// Wait for FIRE command (F) from serial monitor
if (Serial.available()) { // Check for serial input
if (Serial.read() == 'F') { // If 'F' is entered, then FIRE!
digitalWrite(fetPin, HIGH); // Turn FET on
digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH); // Turn LED on to monitor process
delay(1000); // Wait 1 second
digitalWrite(fetPin, LOW); // Turn FET off
digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW); // Turn LED off
}
else
digitalWrite(fetPin, LOW); // Make sure it's off!

delay(5000); // Wait a bit before next command entry
}
}

Note that there is a warning in the Arduino manual regarding the use of the PWM output. This might result in a non-zero PWM output to your FET gate.

Notes and Warnings​

The PWM outputs generated on pins 5 and 6 will have higher-than-expected duty cycles. This is because of interactions with the millis() and delay() functions, which share the same internal timer used to generate those PWM outputs. This will be noticed mostly on low duty-cycle settings (e.g. 0 - 10) and may result in a value of 0 not fully turning off the output on pins 5 and 6.
Thank you so much. Turns out it was a bad mosfet.

Thank you so much. Turns out it was a bad mosfet.
Which brings us to an important consideration. Mosfets failing conducting is not uncommon. What is your concept for preventing attachment of an igniter to the system with a failed FET? Can you design a failed FET detection method into your system?

I've blown many IRF510s via static electricity. At least they're cheap! I believe the other mosfets are similarlty sensitive.
One simple addition to offer some protection for an N-MOSFET is to install a Zener diode between the gate and source, as displayed below. In this case you could use a 10V -15V Zener. This would be in parallel to the G-S pulldown resistor.

Attachments

• 78uHX.png
    78uHX.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 0
One simple addition to offer some protection for an N-MOSFET is to install a Zener diode between the gate and source, as displayed below. In this case you could use a 10V -15V Zener. This would be in parallel to the G-S pulldown resistor.
That's a good idea. I have a bunch of diodes that I bought a while ago for a different project. I'll see if I can find one that would work for this. Thanks.

Ok, so with my wiring above, it worked as intended. Now that I am soldering the final board, I added in an led toggle switch. However, I have been having issues again and I have fried two more mosfets. I've done alot of reading but I'm confused. I basically just want the led toggle switch to allow current to flow to my igniter, but I do not want it to directly control if the mosfet is on or off as that is what is being done in the code by the Arduino. Here is a description of my current wiring, any help would be much appreciated.

Here's how I currently have it wired. The positive of the external battery is connected to one end of the toggle switch. I have the drain pin on the mosfet connected to the other end of the toggle switch, as well as two wires (one for each side of the motor). I have the gate connected to it's respective arduino pin and the source pin of the mosfet is connected to the ground of the external power supply, arduino ground, and toggle switch ground (for led). Is this correct?

Ok, so with my wiring above, it worked as intended. Now that I am soldering the final board, I added in an led toggle switch. However, I have been having issues again and I have fried two more mosfets. I've done alot of reading but I'm confused. I basically just want the led toggle switch to allow current to flow to my igniter, but I do not want it to directly control if the mosfet is on or off as that is what is being done in the code by the Arduino. Here is a description of my current wiring, any help would be much appreciated.

Here's how I currently have it wired. The positive of the external battery is connected to one end of the toggle switch. I have the drain pin on the mosfet connected to the other end of the toggle switch, as well as two wires (one for each side of the motor). I have the gate connected to it's respective arduino pin and the source pin of the mosfet is connected to the ground of the external power supply, arduino ground, and toggle switch ground (for led). Is this correct?
Please provide a circuit diagram. Your description is a little ambiguous.

One side of the toggle switch should go to one of the igniter leads, the other igniter lead should connect to the drain.
1710562249291.png

Last edited:
Back