Level 3 Project-Black Brant II Scratch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will be under 12,000' and with miles upon miles of white salt, tracking will be unnecessary in my experience. Yeah, major mind debate on the parts. I keep telling myself to keep it simple smarty :)
But... Not sure if I will even be able to fly it this August. I'm plodding along slowly but surely but my heart just doesn't feel in it. As soon as I have some time to play around and when my other parts come (ordered July 3rd may I add!!!) maybe I will be more into it.
-Ken

Ken,,
When your heart is in it,,
your mind will follow...

If your focus isn't there put it down for just a bit....

Teddy

Updates!!! After 3 weeks, my parts came I needed. Yay! May have helped if I had given the correct zip code... So, I have the AV bay almost finished with pictures to prove the almost part. Note there is no positive battery retainment, hence the almost part. For that, I will drill a couple holes and use zip ties to secure the battery from popping out of the box.

Avionics (8).jpgAvionics (7).jpgAvionics (4).jpgAvionics (3).jpg

Holy Smokes! Just learned how folks make huge pictures in posts!
Anyway, all that remains is connecting the output wires to the electronics and some testing. Also note I have the charge holders removed. I thought to myself I have an apogee and a main charge, I should use both in case the chute doesn't come out with the apogee charge. Doubt that will be a problem though. Using the SkyAngle XXL chute and free bag, the whole mess fits very nicely into the tube. If you shake the airframe, it falls right out! :) So, I will add another charge holder for each board just for extra backup. Here is the chute packed nicely.

Avionics (5).jpgAvionics (6).jpg

I will have a separate nose/upper airframe recovery chute as SkyAngle recommends. That's my final answer! Only debated and studied it for a couple weeks. And I need a harness. Will order that Monday or Tuesday.
That's all for now folks!
-Ken

Ken,,
Everything's lookin on the money...
Beautiful build...

Teddy

So the SkyAngle 'chute I have is way too big I decided. Fits nicely within the airframe though! This last week I got the AV bay COMPLETELY FINISHED! At this point, there is not a lot more work to be done. Still need a harness, need to install rail buttons, need to do the shear pins, need to test deployment charge size, need to paint and mount the motor retainer. Oh yeah, need to write up the documentation and capture form information. But... I'm out of money and out of time. I was hoping to fly at the end of July but with what I still need to do and purchase the reload, that will not be happening. There is a possibility of just doing a full L motor IF I have the rocket complete in time but several unexpected bills will probably delay that. It's cool, I'm good, just a tinge bit sad.
-Ken

UPDATE! Got my One Bad Hawk parachute harness, chutes for the main body and nose cone section, have charge cups for apogee and main deployment for each altimeter, almost done with shear pins, and will install the motor retainer on Monday! Yay! I also pulled the trigger and registered for Hellfire! As far as paint, I think I will use a foam roller to paint the sucker. I will mask off close to possible as per Black Brant II scheme and use some black and white Van Sickle tractor paint, reduced and accelerated of course.
-Ken

Dang I wish I was going to Hellfire - then I could see this flight.
Best of luck for your L3, Ken

s6

The best of luck for you Ken...
Keep positive thoughts...

Teddy

Here is a test of the ejection charge. I used 3g of 4f. I did 2 more tests following this with the chute and harness hooked up.
[video=youtube_share;R4EeULIQKek]https://youtu.be/R4EeULIQKek[/video]

I flew the rocket Saturday about 11:00 am at the Bonneville Salt Flats at UROC's annual Hellfire event! Rocket flew on an L1410 Skidmark. Had a perfect boost, straight as an arrow, no weathercocking with the slight breeze present and chute came right out at apogee. All 4 charges fired and NOT at the same time but went off when they were supposed to! Perfect landing, missed (too narrowly) all vehicles and no fin damage!
Here are some pictures to prove it!
20140801_075732.jpgcharges were made up of 4g of 4f BP. matches were checked for appropriate resistance once made and once through the terminal block. Nitrile glove fingers and little girls' rubber hair bands work awesomely for this task!

20140801_080643.jpg20140801_132808.jpg20140801_211107.jpgDSCN2211.jpgDSCN3348.jpg
I used black tape to cover everything electrical as much as possible to provide protection from the ejection charge. Each charge cup was packed with dog barf on top of the charge and then foil tape to help ensure each charge went off separately.

Here is the flight and recovery.
DSCN3955.JPGDSCN3992.JPGDSCN4018.jpgDSCN4019.jpgDSCN4022.jpgDSCN4023.jpg
The Skidmark didn't look as "skiddy" as I thought it would but still pretty cool!
Check out the beautiful Sky Angle chute!
Things couldn't have worked out any better. I must have packed and repacked the chute 3 times, tested the batteries several times, the charges a few times...
I'm very happy with how well thought out this project was and how well it worked out. Now, just need to fly an M motor for L3 certification in it.

A couple other notes:
I decided against using the deployment bag as I felt it would complicate things more than I was ready for. I also decided to just blow the nose cone instead of doing a "zipperless" type method of deployment as previously mentioned. KISS! At any time I could change things up as holes are drilled for shear pins in the NC or AV bay as well as holes for bolts. Versatile I say!
-Ken

Last edited:
My greatest congratulations Ken,,,
The rocket just came out amazing,,,
I am very mindful of the amount of work
and attention to detail that went into this build...
This is the build that was "handmade"....
The flight looked amazing...
Seeing the size of the flame during boost was amazing...
How beautiful was that hanging on the chute...

I can't congratulate you enough Ken....
Good for you.....

Teddy

Outstanding. Congrats on success on all levels. Your attention to details, thoughtful approach, & great build skills paid off. A smooth L3 seems like it's as "in-th-bag" as can be - put an M (or bigger) in that thing and fly it!
What a great landing spot! "Tracking?, we don't need no stinkin' tracking?"

And once again - DANG it, I wish I had made it out to Bonneville this year!

way to go Ken,
s6

Great looking bird Ken. This has been fun to follow your build thread and now this flight. I love Black Brants (my namesake) and decided a long time ago that I would build one for my L3 when it's time - your build is inspiring.
Being a native to your neck of the woods, I hope to someday make it back out and take advantage of all that open space.

-brant

Back