Black Brant Vc for Mini Motors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice, I love the fin detail, well done.

Oh, what does everyone due for recovery? Estes included a 18 inch long piece of 1/8th rubber that you attach via the tri-fold paper method and a 12 inch long streamer that is 1.25 inches wide that they have you tape to the 1/8th inch rubber. That was for the donor Hi-Flyer kit. Is that pretty much the standard for rockets this size?

I'd probably do streamer as well. I've used the cheap plastic material, but I like mylar better for streamer material. It seems offer better visibility as well.

The recover system is in. There's a tiny laundry shelf with a screw eye with ten inches of 250lb Kevlar attached to it. Then there's 16 inches or so of shock cord with the streamer taped on 3 inches from the nose cone. ALF-VB-08 is a GO for the launch this Saturday.

I mentioned a family portrait and here it is:
Black Brant Vs.jpg

They are all Black Brant V models.

On the right is a Black Brant V modelled after a NASA photo provided by Bobby_Hamill. It is built with a 2.5 inch PSII body tube and it is my tallest rocket at 52 inches tall. It is my own design and uses 29mm motors

The middle rocket is a Black Brant 5 modelled in the 50th anniversary paint scheme as displayed in the Manitoba Museum in Canada. It is a modified Rocketarium kit and is 1.72 inches in diameter by 32 inches tall. It has a 24mm motor mount.

The right rocket has been the subject of this thread, a Black Brant Vb. It's diameter is .736 of an inch and is 13 inches tall. It is my own design and is powered by 13mm Estes mini motors.

This about sums it up; the build is done. A huge thanks to everyone who helped along the way. I don't know what will be next, but there's alway something around the next bend.

-Bob

Now my 13mm Black Brant Vb has joined the "been launched" club like it big brother from the about picture.
Black Brant Vb On Launcher.jpg

First flight was on a A8-4T and it was very nice. I'd guess the sim was close with it's 550 feet projection. The drift was a little further than that, just on the other side of the barb wire fence.

One of the old pro's gave me a A3-2T to try with it. I asked about the short delay and his reply was short boost, short delay. I figured he's been doing this a lot longer than me so I sent it. Bad choice. It was zoom, poof, pop and it took more time for you to read that than the event lasted. Luckily it didn't zipper but it did come down hard and broke a fin loose. Good new is that it was an easy fix and it's ready to go again now.
Black Brant Vb Damage.jpg

I had enough fun that I started my next build. Scale-like this time :)

-Bob

I flew this rocket again this past Saturday on a A3-4T. That is such a great motor for this rocket. It got a lot of oohs and ahhs because it is so fast off the pad/ flies true and a lot higher than anyone would think.

So far this rocket, my Mini Nike X and the Mini Tempest have been a lot of fun. More smiles per dollar than any of my 29mm rockets!

I am going to have to come up with another one.

-Bob

Back