Level 2 Build - Madcow Level-2 via Apogee Components

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread Kevin. I tried for my level 1 in Feb. and the launch was scrubbed due to wind. So I am trying again the same weekend as your new attempt. The L2 looks like a great kit and your build helps show how every kit needs some thought... Can't wait to hear about your launch. Best of luck. Simon

Great thread Kevin. I tried for my level 1 in Feb. and the launch was scrubbed due to wind. So I am trying again the same weekend as your new attempt. The L2 looks like a great kit and your build helps show how every kit needs some thought... Can't wait to hear about your launch. Best of luck. Simon

Thank you Simon. And best of luck to you as well. I'm really praying for calm winds; it's been pretty darned gusty out here over the last week. I'm sure the scrubbed launch was hard as I know the anticipation level getting ready for the day! Pray it all works out well for both of us! 6 days and counting....

Looks great - you've done good work, I'm sure the flight will go well. Where will the flight be?

Looks great - you've done good work, I'm sure the flight will go well. Where will the flight be?

I'm going to fly at BattlePark near Culpepper VA.for the first time this Sunday..weather permitting; and thanks very much. 4 days and counting. :)

All the best of luck,,,
Flights going to go perfectly. ...

Teddy

Great build - and good luck with your L2 cert flight (I'm also down to do mine the same day 3 April here in Cambridge, UK). I just wanted to ask - where you obtained the 3D printed AV bay sled? (I'm assuming it's not stock with the L-2...?)

By the way (not that this is a beer thread of course..) but if you're a fan of porters/stouts check out Harviestoun's Engine Oil. It's an English Porter brewed in Scotland (so you get the best of both nations :))

Great build - and good luck with your L2 cert flight (I'm also down to do mine the same day 3 April here in Cambridge, UK). I just wanted to ask - where you obtained the 3D printed AV bay sled? (I'm assuming it's not stock with the L-2...?)

By the way (not that this is a beer thread of course..) but if you're a fan of porters/stouts check out Harviestoun's Engine Oil. It's an English Porter brewed in Scotland (so you get the best of both nations :))

oh. a stout that calls it what it really is "Engine Oil"! I love it! :) The sleds are ordered from https://additive-aerospace.myshopify.com/

Good luck as well. I hope it's less windy there than here!!

So discouraged by the winds I see today. I pray Sunday is calmer. If not; there's nothing I can do but accept it and look to a new window. Should everything work out tomorrow; here's the fleet for Sunday. L-R Level 2 on a J355. Madcow torrent on an I540, and a scratch build from 12 years ago, the "GI Joe Lofter" that launches out a 12" GI Joe on his own chute at apogee on a G76. It's only been launched once, so will be great to see it go up again.
April Launch fleet.jpg

It's been windy like crazy here for 3 or 4 days....
Fingers crossed...
It's the toughest thing to NOT get "Go Fever".......
This month or next month,, no matter....
Stay calm...

Specially when yur preppin...

Teddy

It's been windy like crazy here for 3 or 4 days....
Fingers crossed...
It's the toughest thing to NOT get "Go Fever".......
This month or next month,, no matter....
Stay calm...

Specially when yur preppin...

Teddy

I couldn't have said that better Teddy! "Go Fever"! I'm just aching to launch these, and know I'll be disheartened if I don't get to; alas, it will be what it will be. Plus I KNOW they are going to look so good coming down on that OneBadHawk Harness equipment!!!!!!!! :)

I couldn't have said that better Teddy! "Go Fever"! I'm just aching to launch these, and know I'll be disheartened if I don't get to; alas, it will be what it will be. Plus I KNOW they are going to look so good coming down on that OneBadHawk Harness equipment!!!!!!!! :)

Ugh. I launched my X-Celerator to 9500 feet in 15 mph ground winds. God knows what the winds aloft were. It landed out of range of my GPS transmitter, and I have never found it. Whatever you do -- DON'T LAUNCH JUST TO LAUNCH!!!

But I know ... it's like waving bourbon under an alcoholic's nose. Very hard when there is only one launch a month.

Ugh. I launched my X-Celerator to 9500 feet in 15 mph ground winds. God knows what the winds aloft were. It landed out of range of my GPS transmitter, and I have never found it. Whatever you do -- DON'T LAUNCH JUST TO LAUNCH!!!

But I know ... it's like waving bourbon under an alcoholic's nose. Very hard when there is only one launch a month.

Ah man. That's my primary fear; and I have no GPS. I estimated 5k in rocksim; but who knows what upper winds are. dead calm in Alexandria today, but misty. Too bad I'm not out there today!!

I bought one of these 2 years ago, just starting to get back into the hobby after a major disease changed my life. Great pictorial for us. Thanks again for the great thread.

I bought one of these 2 years ago, just starting to get back into the hobby after a major disease changed my life. Great pictorial for us. Thanks again for the great thread.

Sure thing; and best of luck with your build! It is an awesome rocket. If you run across anything and have questions, don't hesitate to shout. If I can help, I'd be more than pleased to do so.

Nuts. Hopefully it'll calm down by tomorrow at some point, long enough to launch and complete the L2!!!

Bad weather report!
wp_ss_20160402_0001.jpg

Ah man. That's my primary fear; and I have no GPS. I estimated 5k in rocksim; but who knows what upper winds are. dead calm in Alexandria today, but misty. Too bad I'm not out there today!!

Do you have any tracker in the rocket Kevin ???
I wouldn't go to 5K with any tracker....
If you're going to be at Red Glare I can lend you one...

Teddy

Do you have any tracker in the rocket Kevin ???
I wouldn't go to 5K with any tracker....
If you're going to be at Red Glare I can lend you one...

Teddy

I don't Teddy. I reached out last night and they have a J250 which will bring me to 2300 roughly. Going to do that with the winds. I started researching trackers last night trying to figure out which I should use bi am not going to be a red glare this year, but greatly appreciate the offer!! About to head out now.

I don't Teddy. I reached out last night and they have a J250 which will bring me to 2300 roughly. Going to do that with the winds. I started researching trackers last night trying to figure out which I should use bi am not going to be a red glare this year, but greatly appreciate the offer!! About to head out now.

kkkk,,
2300 not too bad for no tracker...
All the best of luck Kevin...
Your flight is going to go perfectly...

Teddy

Ok, on the road, bit had to say beautiful flight on a j250 sparky and recovery. Just over 2k. Awesome day. A little breezy, but great! Flew my torrent over 3k and it screamed off the pad. Yeah L2 complete! Now its time to slow down and learn things! ��
Teddy- thanks for some rockin recovery gear!

Ok, on the road, bit had to say beautiful flight on a j250 sparky and recovery. Just over 2k. Awesome day. A little breezy, but great! Flew my torrent over 3k and it screamed off the pad. Yeah L2 complete! Now its time to slow down and learn things! ��
Teddy- thanks for some rockin recovery gear!

WWWooooo HHHooooooooo...
Good for you man..
I am so glad to hear this...
See,, no probs at all,, perfect flight..
Good for you Kevin...
You da man....lol.....

Teddy

Congrats Kevin! Looking forward to the flight pics and video (or it didn't exist!) haha.

dan

I thought about you on the way to church today and wondered if you would get to launch in this wind. Glad to hear it was a success! Congrats, and go have fun!

Kevin - a big congrats on your L2!! I remember that nervousness & jitters like it was yesterday (cause it almost was, 6 months ago), you did a great job. Also, a very big thank you for a great build thread, I've just ordered my first all-glass kit (Madcow Frenzy XL 3"), and I'll definitely be rereading your posts for tips as I go... This is truly the value of TRF, sharing information to aide in the success of many... Again, thanks for a great thread!! :handshake:

Latest posts

Back