Level 2 Build - Madcow Level-2 via Apogee Components

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok thanks for the information everybody. Putting terminal blocks on the need to purchase list.

RRRGGG Not a fan of Rustoleum 2x color spray. The primer was fine, but ARRRG :facepalm: Really cruddy outcome!!! I swear I'm two for two in paint. Sticking with normal rustoleum from now on (minus again primer...that was really good). Once everything is dry, it's sanding time! I really want to use much stronger words!! RRRggg!:mad:

You have to let me know how that is. I've not seen it in the store. I used to love doing pub crawls when stationed in England, having a Guinness at each pub. Was like eating a meal! :)

I tried the Nitro Coffee Stout last weekend and I thought that it was quite delicious indeed. Not a huge fan of the smooth Nitrogen dispense mouth-feel but the taste is very good. I am more of an "Imperial Stout" kinda guy.

RRRGGG Not a fan of Rustoleum 2x color spray. The primer was fine, but ARRRG :facepalm: Really cruddy outcome!!! I swear I'm two for two in paint. Sticking with normal rustoleum from now on (minus again primer...that was really good). Once everything is dry, it's sanding time! I really want to use much stronger words!! RRRggg!:mad:

Kevin,
I echo previous sentiments; the degree of complexity you are putting into this rocket this close to just finishing your L1 certification is impressive! Just goes to show how quick one could learn something if really desired.

Which Rustoleum product did you use exactly? can you link to it? As I state, I'm a big believer in them, so would be curious what product it was. As you already know, let the paint completely dry (double the dry time listed on the can), then sand until smooth.

Everything (to my novice eye) looks fantastic!

I tried the Nitro Coffee Stout last weekend and I thought that it was quite delicious indeed. Not a huge fan of the smooth Nitrogen dispense mouth-feel but the taste is very good. I am more of an "Imperial Stout" kinda guy.

+1...
Me too...
I don't want to hijack Kevin's thread,,
I didn't understand this-- Not a huge fan of the smooth Nitrogen dispense mouth-feel
I have to go see if I can find some...

Teddy

+1...
Me too...
I don't want to hijack Kevin's thread,,
I didn't understand this-- Not a huge fan of the smooth Nitrogen dispense mouth-feel
I have to go see if I can find some...

Teddy

hijack away teddy!! no sweat here. Let it go where it needs to go! :cheers:

Kevin,
I echo previous sentiments; the degree of complexity you are putting into this rocket this close to just finishing your L1 certification is impressive! Just goes to show how quick one could learn something if really desired.

Which Rustoleum product did you use exactly? can you link to it? As I state, I'm a big believer in them, so would be curious what product it was. As you already know, let the paint completely dry (double the dry time listed on the can), then sand until smooth.

Everything (to my novice eye) looks fantastic!
Thanks Dan. So it dried better than it went on. That much is certain; but it ran unexpectedly which really Ticked me off! It's the Rustoleum X2. Apparently color and primer. Sadly I cannot match the color with regular Rustoleum. Krylon maybe, but not overpainting one with another. So I'm sanding down the bad areas, and am going to try to very CAREFULLY paint and try to get a smooth finish!

I'll work it tomorrow as I'm taking the day off to install an invisible fence to keep my kids Taco Bell dog IN the wooden fence. Tired of running three blocks away to find her! I should have ample time to sand and square this away...I just pray it comes out nice. very disappointing if not; but alas it's kinda out of my hands...I'll just do my best and smile at the end result! :)

This product has been giving me excellent results on LOC airframe tubes for me. Excellent filling property and coverage. As well as color over other color steps . No crackling or bubbling.

IMG_20160322_180142_109.jpg

This product has been giving me excellent results on LOC airframe tubes for me. Excellent filling property and coverage. As well as color over other color steps . No crackling or bubbling.

used that on my Zooch Shuttles and I have to agree. It was much better than expected. I Wonder if it would paint OVER rustoleum ok; or if I should just stick with the rustoleum.

Here's my nightly woes.
WP_20160322_21_26_15_Pro (2).jpgWP_20160322_21_31_34_Pro (2).jpg

Ok so slow and steady today. Work on Taco Bell Dog fence cutting lines in the yard, go paint, go cut more lines, come back and paint. It's getting there now. Not perfect by any stretch of the means.....but acceptable.
painted part 1.jpg

used that on my Zooch Shuttles and I have to agree. It was much better than expected. I Wonder if it would paint OVER rustoleum ok; or if I should just stick with the rustoleum.

Here's my nightly woes.
View attachment 285954View attachment 285955

I wasn't sure what you were experiencing there but I see now. Yes. Stick with the same. I think we've all experienced what happens when we mix em. :( I had one "good" mix years ago and could never duplicate it again lol.

One of the great dichotomies in rocketry: everyone will tell you to go low and slow for your cert flight, and then give you a hard time if your fillets aren't perfect and your paint is bumpy. :wink:

Ok so slow and steady today. Work on Taco Bell Dog fence cutting lines in the yard, go paint, go cut more lines, come back and paint. It's getting there now. Not perfect by any stretch of the means.....but acceptable.
View attachment 285996

Are you able to fly in you backyard or in walking distance.? Just curious.

Are you able to fly in you backyard or in walking distance.? Just curious.

Ha. I wish. Fairfax county is so backwards I cannot fly at any field in the county. Must go an hour away and fly with a club now. :( Yard is only a 1/4 acre, so nope. no flying here...maybe the old quest micromax rockets we have...

Ok, so yellow dried and sanded back down with 1000 grit due to the bumpiness of the Rustoleum X2. Then taped everything up and painted the racing stripes. This is where Rustoleum is superior to Duplicolor in my opinion. Put Yellow frog tape on, put it off. Put it on again, pull it off. Repeat a few times. Not once did it bring the paint off the rocket with it. Darned near EVERY TIME with the level 1 rocket panted in Duplicolor.

Anyway, got it taped up tonight and painted outside:
painting racing.jpg

I then quickly pulled the tape to ensure the lines stayed smooth and brought it inside to dry.
front racing stripes.jpgwith racing Stripes.jpg

I think it is ground testing time tomorrow after getting all Teddy's hardware installed in the tubes. Then a few final touches to the exterior and ready for April 3! YEAH!

Oh yeah...almost forgot...My Loc Angel showed up today too!! Yeah! Now I can recover this thing!
loc angel.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you were able to take care of the mishap with the yellow paint quite well. Your paint scheme looks awesome! Gives me almost a V2 vibe

I noticed you painted the camera shroud too. Do you have one on each rocket, or remove and reuse them?

Looks like you were able to take care of the mishap with the yellow paint quite well. Your paint scheme looks awesome! Gives me almost a V2 vibe

I noticed you painted the camera shroud too. Do you have one on each rocket, or remove and reuse them?

Thanks Dan. I hope what I'm thinking comes to light whenever I finish the paint job. As for the camera shroud, I have one on each rocket.

So I ground tested today using web calculators coming out to basically the same on Drouge and Payload sections. 1.43grams ea. The Payload came out quick. good, I could possibly back it off to 1.3 and be rock solid. No video because the wind blew my surface to the ground and that's pretty much all you could see! :( The aft sat there. I have three sheer pins the aft as well. I removed one sheer pin and replaced the outside area with a sliced sheer pin so the hole is covered; then put two more in place. Upping to 1.7 grams seemed to do the trick. Here's the video. Curious if anyone has any thoughts other than looks ok. Thanks!!

[video=youtube;43zecDBz9TI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/43zecDBz9TI[/video]

Ok. I'm almost done. I REALLY would love some opinions here as I just CANNOT make up my mind. I couldn't help but see the Bumblebee Transformer in my mind when putting this together, so while Superbee and Rumblebee aren't on a camero - I took a little artistic liberty. First, here is one side of the rocket complete:
WP_20160325_15_29_34_Pro up.jpg Now in the upper area I'm considering rumblebee stickers on both black areas: WP_20160325_15_33_42_Pro up.jpg

Finally the opposite side. I'm trying to determine if it's too much yellow (and I'm thinking it is) or if I should leave it alone. I did a quick photojob in the second picture to visualize black on only those sides of the fins.

As isWP_20160325_15_30_04_Pro - up.jpg Finally with photoshopped black fins: WP_20160325_15_30_04_Pro -black fins.jpg

I'd sure love some opinions.

Attachments

• WP_20160325_15_29_34_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160325_15_29_34_Pro.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 138
Pic # 1 and / or 5...
With the Rumble Bee yellow vinyl in 2 opposing black stripes...

Came out smokin cool....

Teddy

I didn't realize,,
There aren't 4 black stripes ??
One side is different then the other ??
I duh know den...

Teddy

Ok. So I made a choice. here's the final. (both sides)

WP_20160325_17_40_39_Pro.jpg WP_20160325_17_41_31_Pro.jpg

And a closer view of the rumblebee. Glad that happened, I like the look.
WP_20160325_17_40_57_Pro.jpg

So Now I have to put the $ where my mouth is. :) April 3 (weather permitting)..9 days and counting. :)

Kevin,
For the fins, in both a) keeping with the typical Bumble Bee transformer, seen with combo of yellow/black boots/gears at the foot position and b) for what I personally favor in aesthetics, would choose the yellow/black alternating fins in Post #52, would be picture 4.

Looks epic!

Edit: looks like we were posting at the exact same time. Glad you made the decision you did! haha

Kevin,
For the fins, in both a) keeping with the typical Bumble Bee transformer, seen with combo of yellow/black boots/gears at the foot position and b) for what I personally favor in aesthetics, would choose the yellow/black alternating fins in Post #52, would be picture 4.

Looks epic!

Edit: looks like we were posting at the exact same time. Glad you made the decision you did! haha

Thanks Dan!

Back