Build thread - Apogee "Level-2"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXJeff

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just took delivery of this aptly named "Level-2" kit - anybody else building one?
This is probably what I'll do my Tripoli Level 2 cert with since it can fly "low and slow" for the cert flight (but also much higher and faster later on with much larger engines).
What really struck me about this kit is the extensive and well-written instructions, both on the site and in the box (and numerous build videos!), and it's all-fiberglass construction. Really well done Apogee!
And the purposeful design is smart - I noted that the fins are located just a bit up the body tube, and the trailing edge slants upward. This fin design is especially important for me since we have an asphalt runway and there is a high chance of landing on it - so this will help it's survive-ability (required for the flight test). I'll use an Aero Pack retainer which will be the part that "hits" first.
So I will clear off my workbench, and start to build this. I've done a couple of other fiberglass rockets before, to this should be straightforward. Pics to follow slowly over a few weeks. It'll first fly in test with a large >I2xxx to make sure all is well before the cert flight.
Mods planned: Aero Pack retainer, Additive Aerospace RunCam2 shroud, MissileWorks modular sled/RRC3.
Planning to use: my new Macklin Missile Works Guillotine Fin Jib for alignment.

Attachments

• 3210705f1010c09de0041e4f2860fdbf.image.320x320.jpg
    3210705f1010c09de0041e4f2860fdbf.image.320x320.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
There's a great series of YouTube videos on the construction of that kit, although it's a little dated, it should be a good guide.

I built the former model and the instructions were fantastic.
k4WiA4N.jpg

t0czcKg.jpg

ZPEkGJr.jpg

Just took delivery of this aptly named "Level-2" kit - anybody else building one?
This is probably what I'll do my Tripoli Level 2 cert with since it can fly "low and slow" for the cert flight (but also much higher and faster later on with much larger engines).
What really struck me about this kit is the extensive and well-written instructions, both on the site and in the box (and numerous build videos!), and it's all-fiberglass construction. Really well done Apogee!
And the purposeful design is smart - I noted that the fins are located just a bit up the body tube, and the trailing edge slants upward. This fin design is especially important for me since we have an asphalt runway and there is a high chance of landing on it - so this will help it's survive-ability (required for the flight test). I'll use an Aero Pack retainer which will be the part that "hits" first.
So I will clear off my workbench, and start to build this. I've done a couple of other fiberglass rockets before, to this should be straightforward. Pics to follow slowly over a few weeks. It'll first fly in test with a large >I2xxx to make sure all is well before the cert flight.
Mods planned: Aero Pack retainer, Additive Aerospace RunCam2 shroud, MissileWorks modular sled/RRC3.
Planning to use: my new Macklin Missile Works Guillotine Fin Jib for alignment.
I’m building one now. Did you qual? How’d it go?

Back