• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Launch Rods

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rlutz53

Reaction score
I currently building a low power launch rack for our local aerospace program. I'm pretty far along and need to order the 1/8" launch rods. Any suggestions on what to use??

RandyL

I currently building a low power launch rack for our local aerospace program. I'm pretty far along and need to order the 1/8" launch rods. Any suggestions on what to use??

RandyL

I buy mine at the local hardware store. 4' rods are about $2-3. I do polish them up a bit though. Automotive rubbing compound works well and makes them really smooth.

RandyL

Goto Ace Hardware.

I would just avoid aluminum, or any other soft metal.
I wouldn't get carried away, you can go nuts ordering stuff from a supply house or ornamental iron shop to get some extra stiff high grades, but why? At the end of the day, you just want a stiff piece of iron. Polish it up, & that's it.

I bought a bunch for the rack system I built for the school at Lowe's. They shipped in a red tube with plastic caps. I bought all they had left of 1/8" steel, so they let me keep the tube also.

I haven't found any 1/8" stainless rods around here so I went with regular old cheap cold rolled steel. After our school launch, I always give them a wipe with a greased rag so that they won't rust while stored in the tube. I tried an oily rag one year, but the oil didn't stay on the rods well enough to keep them from rusting. When the school launch comes around, I wipe the grease off with a quick swipe of a clean rag and they are ready to go. It's a lot better than scrubbing the rust off with sandpaper, steel wool, or scotchbrite pads. The rack is only used once per year, so what I do may be overkill for most folks.

McMaster-Carr sells 1/8" x 72" lengths of 304 and 316 alloy stainless steel. cut them in half, round the end a little they make GREAT easy maintenance Launch rods that clear up with a little spray of Fantastic on a paper towel. wipe with a little WD-40 and they're good to go for another launch.
We've Change all 30 sum club rods as well as 3/16" and 1/4" x 72" with these 316 alloy rods. Last for year and year! NO Rust, NO sanding,
304 alloy is a little cheaper if money is tight, but 316 is a bit stiffer material. either will work. 304 on page 3554 #8954K22, K24 and K21
316 on page 3559 #89325K11, K12 and K21.
Hope this helps.

John,
Thanks for that information. It will help to have rods that can last without a lot of maintenance. Our group is looking into possible graphite rods. They bend a heck of a lot less. Not sure what they will decide. For myself with the steel rods at the local hardware store 2 blocks away for less than $2.50 for a 6ft rod it works for me for now.

Michael

Would a graphite rod stand up to the abuse of storage and assembly? I'd be afraid of it beeing too brittle.

I've used steal rods and never had a problem. I shine them up with a little scotch brite and then wax them with auto wax. The wax makes them slippery and they won't rust. I also wax all the iron surfaces on my wood working machinery.

Back