2ND CATO !!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rsbhunter

Reaction score
Estes E12-4. Had launched a different rocket 10 mins prior with no problem. Then, BOOM.!!! I won't disparage Estes, but this is the second cato in the last 10 launches. Different power engines,but still a 20% failure rate. Ordered some AT E20 SU's. The cost is greater, but not if I figure in the cost of a rocket! Do the "other" rocket engines have the same problem? Thanks, rsbhunter

Attachments

• 20240515_081400.jpg
    20240515_081400.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240515_081440.jpg
    20240515_081440.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240515_090323.jpg
    20240515_090323.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
The larger the Black Powder motor is, the more likely it is to have a crack in it. A crack in the propellant is an additional flame front which increases the pressure which increases the burn rate which increases the pressure.......etc, boom. Larger motors are composite propellant that have a rubbery composition that is less susceptible to issues. The D and E BP motors have a high failure rate relative to the B,C motors

Black powder E motors may be the most likely to CATO. The bigger the black powder motor, the more likely it is to CATO for a variety of reasons. I don't think anyone makes a black powder F motor anymore. And certain date codes are more likely to CATO. There is a list on the forum somewhere.

It will go down but not go away. Still can have case failures with APCP with certed snap ring casings and the such.
I'll take the odds improvement. I know nothing is 100% certain. I plan on using the Aerotech 24mm RMS if I hear good things about them....rsbhunter

I'll take the odds improvement. I know nothing is 100% certain. I plan on using the Aerotech 24mm RMS if I hear good things about them....rsbhunter

There was a rash of CATOs around here this spring with the TARC teams using 24/40 cases. They were blowing out the tops. I saw a photo of a forward closure that had stripped with only two threads machined on it. Apparently, other FCs have three threads and did not CATO. I'm sure they're in contact with AT CS.

I will make sure if I go that route (24/40) that it has the correct # of threads... is the 24/40 the only, or most versatile case? Thanks, you guys are a great source of knowledge! rsbhunter

Most versatile case in the Hobbyline series overall is the 29/40-120. However, for LPR/MPR, I see the 24/40 as the workhorse. F24 and F39 are great value motors. In the full-E/baby-F range, the Quest E35 and F41 win on cost and ease of use, but they do require a 95mm MMT. The 24/60 is cool. I was running some sims last night where the D24 in the 18/20 case was the answer I was looking for and nothing else could match it.

I've never seen a 29mm F motor CATO. The failure rate is so low I don't worry about it anymore. 400+ launches last year and 6 Catos seemed okay to me considering how cheap Estes is compared to everything else.

I will make sure if I go that route (24/40) that it has the correct # of threads... is the 24/40 the only, or most versatile case? Thanks, you guys are a great source of knowledge! rsbhunter
24/40 is the most versatile case for 24mm. The most versatile case below high power is the 29/40-120 case. If you're planning on doing mid power flying even remotely regularly, you need these two cases.

Black powder E motors may be the most likely to CATO. The bigger the black powder motor, the more likely it is to CATO for a variety of reasons. I don't think anyone makes a black powder F motor anymore. And certain date codes are more likely to CATO. There is a list on the forum somewhere.
I have been flying D12s a lot over the last couple of years. (My Bellyflopper, mostly. More recently in my Starship Glider.) They have been perfectly reliable, up until recently. I have had three D12-3 CATOs, two at the last launch. Makes me think the machine used to make the D12-3s needed maintenance. Has the Mabel mechanic retired?

I have flown several E12s over the last year, with only one CATO last summer.

My other cato was with a D12-3 !!! And now the E12-4. I have the 29/40-120 hardware, and a couple reloads. Waiting on some stuff to mount the 1010 rail and finish the 12v launch controller, figured the low power reloadables would be fun...rsb

I had another new pack D12 3 cato last launch. It was in a rocket I had repaired from a previous cato. I had flown two D12 3s before in other rockets. I made disparaging remarks about Estes in front of Top Men.

It is so bad a Top Man I talked to will not fly D or E motors manufactured in all of '22-23. I will join that club. I might have just lost my Estes shill status but that is no big deal. To many BAD DATES with Estes.

Last edited:
Yeah, mine shows 23 (I think) I'm going to composite,,,,the money I save on rockets will pay for the cost difference...I know they can have problems, but I'm done with Estes D and E engines...rsbhunter

Attachments

• 20240515_090323.jpg
    20240515_090323.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Great, maybe my cato rate will go away by going to composites....rsbhunter
Maybe but then you'll have to deal with case burn throughs with commercial reloadables. I have two 29mm Al cases with the same failure holes at the base
from a commercial load. I have several with burn throughs with my research loads in a commercial case but that's my risk and don't beech about it to the maker. My propellant I guess can get hot. Some of the case failures occur with ground tests with research loads which is fine as at least I don't lose a rocket with it's electronics. I think I had a couple of 2 grain 38mm case burn throughs with commercial only loads.

I had single use APCP perform anomalously but indeed it's rarer than BP. I have a big bag of old Estes BP motors out in the garage leftover from grade school days from BEFORE Estes converted to the metric system. All English system rated motors that have been temperature cycled so much they'd probably CATO. Well maybe the booster motors might work but then again not. Maybe only of value to an motor collector.

Until I hit a 20% rate of failure with Composite engines, I'll go with those....nothings infallible, but the rate I'm getting for me, isn't acceptable....time will tell. rsbhunter

Back