Launch Rods

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rlutz53

Reaction score
I currently building a low power launch rack for our local aerospace program. I'm pretty far along and need to order the 1/8" launch rods. Any suggestions on what to use??

RandyL

I currently building a low power launch rack for our local aerospace program. I'm pretty far along and need to order the 1/8" launch rods. Any suggestions on what to use??

RandyL

I buy mine at the local hardware store. 4' rods are about $2-3. I do polish them up a bit though. Automotive rubbing compound works well and makes them really smooth.

RandyL

Goto Ace Hardware.

I would just avoid aluminum, or any other soft metal.
I wouldn't get carried away, you can go nuts ordering stuff from a supply house or ornamental iron shop to get some extra stiff high grades, but why? At the end of the day, you just want a stiff piece of iron. Polish it up, & that's it.

I bought a bunch for the rack system I built for the school at Lowe's. They shipped in a red tube with plastic caps. I bought all they had left of 1/8" steel, so they let me keep the tube also.

I haven't found any 1/8" stainless rods around here so I went with regular old cheap cold rolled steel. After our school launch, I always give them a wipe with a greased rag so that they won't rust while stored in the tube. I tried an oily rag one year, but the oil didn't stay on the rods well enough to keep them from rusting. When the school launch comes around, I wipe the grease off with a quick swipe of a clean rag and they are ready to go. It's a lot better than scrubbing the rust off with sandpaper, steel wool, or scotchbrite pads. The rack is only used once per year, so what I do may be overkill for most folks.

McMaster-Carr sells 1/8" x 72" lengths of 304 and 316 alloy stainless steel. cut them in half, round the end a little they make GREAT easy maintenance Launch rods that clear up with a little spray of Fantastic on a paper towel. wipe with a little WD-40 and they're good to go for another launch.
We've Change all 30 sum club rods as well as 3/16" and 1/4" x 72" with these 316 alloy rods. Last for year and year! NO Rust, NO sanding,
304 alloy is a little cheaper if money is tight, but 316 is a bit stiffer material. either will work. 304 on page 3554 #8954K22, K24 and K21
316 on page 3559 #89325K11, K12 and K21.
Hope this helps.

John,
Thanks for that information. It will help to have rods that can last without a lot of maintenance. Our group is looking into possible graphite rods. They bend a heck of a lot less. Not sure what they will decide. For myself with the steel rods at the local hardware store 2 blocks away for less than $2.50 for a 6ft rod it works for me for now.

Michael

Would a graphite rod stand up to the abuse of storage and assembly? I'd be afraid of it beeing too brittle.

I've used steal rods and never had a problem. I shine them up with a little scotch brite and then wax them with auto wax. The wax makes them slippery and they won't rust. I also wax all the iron surfaces on my wood working machinery.

Latest posts

Back